UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pleasure dogs??
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If I lived where I could tree a coon every night, you wouldn't have to drag me out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2018 10:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pleasure Hounds

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
If you are in search of with a extremely high level of ability then pleasure hunting is the best present method to use. Originally the competition hunts highlighted superior hounds, but the performance of most competition dogs today does not identify which dog is truly the best at treeing coon. Most competition dogs will not compete against each other and so it is impossible for owners with more than one dog in their kennel to honestly tell you which of their dogs is the best. Dogs that have been trained or bred to optimize the rules succeed in most hunts. With that said, the current competition style dog can be beat in a hunt with an outstanding dog that is a true first and first type dog because of their ability tree coon while the loner style dog has other things on their mind. What is your reason for competition or pleasure hunting? The reason for lack of attendance at events is simple. IT IS NO LONGER FUN! The culture that I've observed in recent events is similar to the hit TV shows "Survivor and Big Brother" which I don't believe have a printed set of "HONOR RULES". This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley
I'm looking for a top pleasure dog. I'd like to hunt with several top performing dogs that are proven reproducers this next spring. I'm looking for a dog to breed my Penney dog to. The male dog that I'm looking for must be balanced in ability and equal or superior to Penney in ability. I'd like to hunt with at least two generations of the bloodline. Titles are not as important as ability. Must be highly intelligent and born with natural ability. I have zero tolerance for aggressive behavior toward other dogs, but must to tough on game. If you think you may have what I'm looking for send me a PM. To me a top pleasure dog is better at treeing coon than any dog I drop them with. Thanks for your time.

Old Post 11-22-2018 04:19 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Your original post is as spot on as can be. It's not the best answer it is THE answer. As far as this stud dog search goes I like it. It's interesting so when you go about this please keep us informed.

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:13 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Pleasure Hounds

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
..... I'd like to hunt with several top performing dogs that are proven reproducers this next spring.....

How do you plan on doing this? I think that everyone would love to do this but it is a lot easier said than done. These "top performing dogs" are sometimes hard to identify and scattered throughout the country.
More realistically you usually have to rely on the opinions of other people who have hunted with them. And even then you spend a lot of time on the phone tracking down these "top performing" dogs and getting opinions on them. And if you are serious about it, you need to find out about the Sire and Dam of these "top performing" dogs. Good luck in your search but you had better get busy because it sure isn't as easy as it sounds.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-22-2018 at 01:55 PM

Old Post 11-22-2018 01:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Often it seems, many have the idea that the really good dogs are always a long ways from home. I've found over the years that some times there are top dogs in your own neck of the woods that some good 'ol boy has. It's his hunting dog and he really doesn't have much interest in the competition hunts but he knows what a good hound is.😉

Happy Thanksgiving all! Enjoy your families and friends. Life is short.

Old Post 11-22-2018 03:06 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard it's time consuming but it can be done. Find someone that has been breeding a family of dogs for several generations that has proven to have a solid foundation of dogs and that will let you hunt with them. I did the same thing a long time ago and found out that a lot of people wouldn't take you hunting. Their dog was too valuable to go to the woods. Needless to say they were skipped over because I have to see to believe.
There were three men that took me hunting with their dogs that I was impressed with both man and dog. I don't mind naming them. They were Nathan Edds with White Oak Bart, Tony Daviduk with Tony's Wild Clover and Jim Meeks with every thing he had. These men would show what they had and they had sure enough coondogs.
Like I said it can be done but not overnight and there are family breeders that will show their dogs.

Old Post 11-22-2018 03:40 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Yes, Mr River it can definitely be done but it is time consuming and you might be bypassing a lot of good dogs if you just consider the ones that will take you hunting or if you just look at the ones close to home. And a lot of those old pleasure hunters with nice dogs are a little leery of taking strangers hunting with them. You have to spend time getting to know them before you get to see their dog go. So there are a lot of obstacles to overcome but it can be done.

Old Post 11-22-2018 04:26 PM