UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Adviser vs. rule book
Pages (7): « First ... « 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bowling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Competition coonhunting is a complicated sport. There are so many scenarios that can happen and one simple rule cannot fit all of the scenarios. It can get very confusing. Especially for a simple mind like mine. These days you have 4 dogs doing 4 different things.
just like the Voting in Florida when lawyers get involved there are no rules when lawyers are involved want be long until lawers are allowed in casts or I should say will be required in casts in world hunt events. Just wait and see.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2018 09:24 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some handlers now can argue and twist facts just like a lawyer.

Old Post 11-14-2018 09:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
Also , if a dog growls on the lead i can assure u he'll growl and or do more on a tree when he is in adrenaline mode.

How can you be sure of this? YOU CAN"T BE. Speculation on your part, and that is not scratchable. Speculation only holds up in the eyes of the speculator. Now here is something that you can be sure of, a growling on the lead dog of mine won't be scratched. There is no interference, and the is no attempt to fight. Rules just don't allow what you are suggesting. Heck, if we can allow speculation, everyone else's dogs ran a deer, treed in a hole, babbled all the way to that tree we know was slick when they got there. Oh yeah, speculation can be really fun to hunt with huh?

Rock ,
I havent seen one yet that growled on the leash that wouldnt throw down on a tree at some point. especially in adrenaline mode. You can sugar coat it on here all you want you wont convince me. Guess will have to agree to disagree.
As far as the speculation part , that wasnt my idea or thought. That was Allens . He was the one the who mentioned scratching dogs for speculation of running trash not me. You need to talk to him to clarify in more detail. He just so happened to enlighten me on the subject and for that i am thankful.
Thanks !

Old Post 11-15-2018 05:02 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Rock ,
I havent seen one yet that growled on the leash that wouldnt throw down on a tree at some point. especially in adrenaline mode. You can sugar coat it on here all you want you wont convince me. Guess will have to agree to disagree.
As far as the speculation part , that wasnt my idea or thought. That was Allens . He was the one the who mentioned scratching dogs for speculation of running trash not me. You need to talk to him to clarify in more detail. He just so happened to enlighten me on the subject and for that i am thankful.
Thanks !

Saw two in my days that growl every time they are leashed up when another dog gets close. Never once were they scratched, or even suspected of fighting. Sometimes its a territory thing that excitement brings on by knowing they are getting turned loose, or the fact they think another is to close to their provider. Regardless of which, they didn't fight, and speculation is just that. Speculation is not acceptable anywhere else, and its not in the woods either. If you here a fight, and only two dogs are there, with only two heard, sure scratch them. If four are there, and only two are heard, you can not speculate on which two it was. If you can, I want to judge every cast I hunt from this day forward. The top threats to win the cast will last long. It already happens this way at times, but taking the speculation approach back to the MOH should never hold any weight, unless you KNOW that the two scratched are the culprits at fault. I don't think Allen told you can speculate which dogs or dogs were involved in the above mentioned way. If he did, so be it. He can be mistaken like everyone else at times, but the rule just does not allow for it in the above situation. If it does, its new to me, and I just may be hunting wrong all these years.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 11-20-2018 01:47 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Rock ,
Thanks !

Saw two in my days that growl every time they are leashed up when another dog gets close. Never once were they scratched, or even suspected of fighting. Sometimes its a territory thing that excitement brings on by knowing they are getting turned loose, or the fact they think another is to close to their provider. Regardless of which, they didn't fight, and speculation is just that. Speculation is not acceptable anywhere else, and its not in the woods either. If you here a fight, and only two dogs are there, with only two heard, sure scratch them. If four are there, and only two are heard, you can not speculate on which two it was. If you can, I want to judge every cast I hunt from this day forward. The top threats to win the cast will last long. It already happens this way at times, but taking the speculation approach back to the MOH should never hold any weight, unless you KNOW that the two scratched are the culprits at fault. I don't think Allen told you can speculate which dogs or dogs were involved in the above mentioned way. If he did, so be it. He can be mistaken like everyone else at times, but the rule just does not allow for it in the above situation. If it does, its new to me, and I just may be hunting wrong all these years.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 11-20-2018 01:47 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
..... If it does, its new to me, and I just may be hunting wrong all these years.....

According to Allen G, if the aggressor is not known, you scratch all dogs involved. There is no speculation here. If there are three or four dogs treeing and a fight breaks out, they all get scratched. Now that is what UKC's "official interpretation" is.
Kinda like the off game thing. If you "know" that they are running off game you minus them. If you "think" that they are running off game you don't. But according to Mr Gingerich, you don't always have to see the off game to "know" that it is off game. I don't know where the "speculation" comes from.

Old Post 11-20-2018 02:30 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

Anything you don't witness by seeing is speculation.

GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA
GRCH GRNITECH PKC GCH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMI-FINALIST. 2016 UKC TOP 20. 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE. 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4. 2018 MO PKC STATE CH
NITECH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION

Old Post 11-20-2018 04:50 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness "anything" ? You don't know what a dog fight sounds like?

Old Post 11-20-2018 06:37 PM
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
According to Allen G, if the aggressor is not known, you scratch all dogs involved. There is no speculation here. If there are three or four dogs treeing and a fight breaks out, they all get scratched. Now that is what UKC's "official interpretation" is.
Kinda like the off game thing. If you "know" that they are running off game you minus them. If you "think" that they are running off game you don't. But according to Mr Gingerich, you don't always have to see the off game to "know" that it is off game. I don't know where the "speculation" comes from.

you are missing the involved part. Not one person on this board has actually read what I have said. There are four dogs and only two get tied up, and you can't see them. You and everybody else knows that only two are involved. Scratch them all? That's a joke. I don't care who says otherwise that IS TOTALLY WRONG. The book say INVOLVED. You already know that two are not involved. I guess if we go into the bank and 5 people are in there, we all get locked up because we were there, but the cops couldn't see us, when they knew only one is INVOLVED. TOTAL B.S. No other way to put it. You punish all dogs because of two. Kinda sounds like the congress is making the rules.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 11-20-2018 06:56 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:

Almost; but when my name is used I want to be clear. When there are only two dogs at the tree, it's easy to determine who is involved. When there's more than two, knowing which ones are involved becomes a different story and generally results in a no-call.

"Speculation" and "obvious" are, by definition, two very different words that have been used in debate as it relates to dogs running deer or fighting without actually seeing it. One is; rumor, gossip, assumption, guesswork, supposition, hearsay. The other is; clear, apparent, evident, recognizable, observable.

Myself, I'd never scratch a dog for running deer or fighting based on speculation.

Here is the article that was written on the topic long before my time.

Does the Judge Have to See It to Score It?
It is a common misconception amongst some hunters that a Judge must actually see an offense take place before he or she can make a ruling. That is simply not true. Indeed, there are times when you canít tell whatís happening without being able to see it first hand. But on flip side, there are many, many situations where you can tell exactly whatís happening without seeing it first hand.

By the very nature of the sport of nite hunting, most of what goes on comes to us on the night air as we stand completely in the dark. To a first-time hunter, none of it makes sense. Yet an experienced houndsmen can tell you with almost certain conviction exactly what is happening. Thatís why it is so important for club officers and licensed officials to make every effort to appoint qualified individuals to judge casts. Most of what happens requires a judgment call based on experience.

Do you have to see a dog fight to scratch two dogs for being involved in one? Certainly not. You know a dog fight when you hear one. If there is no question as to which dogs are involved, they must both be scratched. Could the aggressor be determined without seeing who started the fight? That call is more risky. I would have to say that no, the aggressor could not be determined without witnessing the offense. But the fact that a fight did take place and the fact that there is a provision for scratching those involved when the aggressor is not known, obligates a Judge to make that call.

Just like you donít have to watch a dog leave a tree to minus them for it. If, as a Judge, you are certain of what is happening, it must be scored accordingly. Thatís what judging is. If you are not certain, hold off until you are. Some handlers will attempt to pressure a judge into making a premature decision. Thatís just as bad as not making a decision that you are certain about. Do you have Nite Champion dogs burning off game out of the country? You donít have to see the deer to scratch dogs for running it. Make the call if you are certain.

Judging is not for everyone and if you are not confident enough to make the decisions that you know are correct, or if you are not confident enough to hold off making decisions until you do know them to be correct, then you should refrain from accepting the responsibility to judge. If you have been appointed as a Judge and cannot rightfully fulfill those duties, take your cast to the Master of Hounds and address your concerns with him or her. Do not take it upon yourself to pass the card to someone else in the cast. Let the licensed official do that.

If you are confident with your experience as a coon hunter and your ability to make decisions, then take pride in the fact that the club has confidence in you! Draw on your experience and score situations accordingly.

Old Post 11-20-2018 07:29 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is not fair having the original article. Kinda like bringing a gun to a fist fight. We were just argueing and you pulled out a pistol. I hate argueing with you.

Old Post 11-20-2018 07:49 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

I'm not arguing with anyone about it. It just seems like we can't have a civil discussion about it.

Old Post 11-20-2018 08:01 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

I don't see what all the fuss is about ! Your dog ain't tied to him all he has got to do is back up and get out the way !! On the other hand Sombody slaps me we still gonna be rollen when Allen gets there bite , scratch , pull hair I am probly going to be the aggressor lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-20-2018 08:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I don't see what all the fuss is about ! Your dog ain't tied to him all he has got to do is back up and get out the way !! On the other hand Sombody slaps me we still gonna be rollen when Allen gets there bite , scratch , pull hair I am probly going to be the aggressor lol.

Tar

You're still good for now, because I'm only speculating that you're attempting to stir up trouble. But when it becomes obvious, I'm dropping the hammer on 'Ole Tarbaby! lol.

On a side note; you got your gobbler in the crock pot yet?

Old Post 11-20-2018 09:39 PM
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Not stirring up trouble been hunting in these hunts over 40 yrs even in some big $$$ ones most dogs that are hunted in competition hunts regularly learn how to stay out of trouble. I counted I have only seen and had to scratch dogs 4 times in all those years for fighting. I think some of these dog fights Sombody told Sombody that told Sombody there was a mean dog on their cast. Most times that comes from not being able to own up to just getting beat simple as that. How many you seen bossman that got scratched ? And I was talking about if I was a dog lol.

Mrs tar has had me putting up Christmas lights our thanksgiving is Friday with the kids hope you have a good one bossman.

Tar

Old Post 11-20-2018 09:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You really aren't a threat anymore, come on now, that briarvine had you beat fair and square, just like that barb wire fence done me in the other night. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-21-2018 05:48 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote