UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Older dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

Older dog

Has anyone ever had much success starting a gyp at 24 months old? She runs but doesn’t tree by herself.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2022 02:31 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Sure

I've had success starting older dogs in fact I'd prefer it over starting a pup theyre more mature and dont have to go through raising a pup from infancy. These are hounds that weren't handled at all or anything until they were 2 to 3 years old. How much has the hound been fooled with before? If it's in them you can bring it out some just start alot later than others. Alot of pups don't make it because they don't tree a coon at 6 months old and then they consider them a dud and ship them off or cull them. Everyone wants that super early starting pup but rarely works that way most of the time you have to put a lot of patience and time into them before they make anything. Back when I was a boy and before my time when my dad and papaw hunted they or anyone else around here wouldn't take a dog to the woods until it was atleast a year old. Now people have 4 month old pups in the woods hunting them expecting them to go tree a coon it's ridiculous. That's turned me against the SS pup program because if it isn't treein by a certain age they think it's a dud which isn't always true and then the hound isn't givin a proper chance. Now that being said it all depends on how much the hounds been fooled with and how it's been trained. There's more bad trainers than good ones and they'll do things that will set dogs back and blame the hound for there incompetence

Old Post 11-17-2022 08:21 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

This particular hound was shocked and won’t bark on trail or tree.

Old Post 11-17-2022 09:27 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Ask Wild Willie if he’s ever been able to bring a dog out of that.

Electronic training collars are only useful in the hands of a person that knows how to use them.

Old Post 11-18-2022 03:13 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

i agree with ridgerunner, although im not against ss program there are some dogs who are exceptional an thats what the program is for, but to get a pup an say you are going to make the ss thats rediculus , you work the dog where it is not the other way around, as great of a tool as the shock collar is , man has runined way more than he has made with one. work the dog where it is if you are willing to be patienct and the dog has a desire to hunt then she will come out of it with time, but i would not put a collar back on her that will only prolong her coming out of it.

Old Post 11-19-2022 05:59 PM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coondogedog
This particular hound was shocked and won’t bark on trail or tree.

I had that problem several years ago. Dog was about 1-1 1/2 years old. First night that he done anything and he done it all. Ran good and treed really hard, then he started squalling like crazy. I dug off to him, he left the tree and came to me. the collar had shorted out. Took him about a year and half to run and tree agin.When he did , he made a real good dog.

Old Post 11-20-2022 11:47 PM
Randy Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Williams Click here to Send Randy Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Williams Find more posts by Randy Williams Add Randy Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote