UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Anyone feed and watch game animal habits.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Anyone feed and watch game animal habits.

For the past couple months I have been feeding shelled corn and watching the game feed on it with a camera. I know this sure isn't a scientific study but it sure has increased my thinking on how these animals are feeding.

When I started out. The deer were the first to find it. Had 3 does and 3 fawns show up within hours. The the group after a couple days was only 5 as one fawn went missing. They would come in once or twice at dark and also just after daylight and dusk. Coon showed up in about a week. They seemed to come in several times a night and there are 4 of them. Turkeys started showing up after about 2 week just after daylight. There were 9 of them. Also had 3 different bucks and they were at different times all at night. Never seen them feeding with the does. Several nights I would get a picture of the does staring at something and then in a few minutes. They were gone and a buck in the picture.

I let the corn run out in the feeder and what was spread on the ground. The turkeys were the first to leave. The deer slowed down their visits. But the coon never gave up. Last night they were digging up the ground all night long and I have pictures that 4 coon were there every hour of the night looking for some corn. The last coon left at 8:30 this morning.

This buck has a messed up rack.

This coon spent the night digging for corn.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-29-2021 at 03:13 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-29-2021 02:36 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

That is very interesting

Old Post 08-29-2021 02:52 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

I have done it for yrs right behind my house. The habits for all the game change through out the yr. My big boy bucks never go to the feeder 1st, they let young bucks go to see if it's safe then go in and never for long. During rut they visit often (every nite) but just to sniff out the doe's never to eat. I have Red and Grey fox that come in only in the winter. They love chicken meat and figure out fast to come before the coon right before dark to get choice out for dinner. They grab food and carry it off. I can tell you anything you want to know about coon from looking at the pic's and sitting at the feeder in the summer months while they feed. I learned more about coon in 3 months last yr setting with them than I had in 22 yrs of hunting them.

Old Post 08-31-2021 01:33 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
I have done it for yrs right behind my house. The habits for all the game change through out the yr. My big boy bucks never go to the feeder 1st, they let young bucks go to see if it's safe then go in and never for long. During rut they visit often (every nite) but just to sniff out the doe's never to eat. I have Red and Grey fox that come in only in the winter. They love chicken meat and figure out fast to come before the coon right before dark to get choice out for dinner. They grab food and carry it off. I can tell you anything you want to know about coon from looking at the pic's and sitting at the feeder in the summer months while they feed. I learned more about coon in 3 months last yr setting with them than I had in 22 yrs of hunting them.

You should list like the top ten things you learned about coon while watching them. Would love to read it.

Old Post 08-31-2021 01:43 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The feed is scarce right now as I let the corn run out. The doe's figured that's out fast and haven't been there in a day. The one buck with the damaged right horn is the only one visiting right now. One Coon been out there and hour now digging around. Have to wait and see if the other Coon and doe's come in later.

Old Post 08-31-2021 02:24 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

So here's my set up, I have one lone norway spruce tree in the middle of a field. Tree lines within 25 yards to the west, north and south, open to the east after 50 yards turns into mowed lawn. I have a few mowed paths up to the tree and mowed about 20 ft all the way around the spruce. So I have a 55 gallon feeder with corn in it 15 ft from the spruce to the west. I have a pan of water sunk into to ground 15 ft from the spruce to the east. where I toss corn down by the water. Early summer I have two small feeders and 8 bowls of food under the spruce, which is full of sweets and cat food. There are weeds, saplings and brush up around the outside bottom of the spruce for cover. Once my cameras start show kitten coon I put a chair out under the spruce and will sit out there about and hr before dark. I keep a bag of marsh mellows with me and as soon as coon come under the spruce I toss them mellows. It don't take long before at least half of them are eating out of my hand both adult and kittens. So some of the things I have learned.

1) Coon still run the same on a full moon. However they are really, really jumpy. They are on high alert the whole time, they flush faster, go further and stay gone longer.

2) They are dang near blind. They don't see well at all and spend more time on two hind legs with there head in the air winding. This is also why they put there hands in water all the time it makes there since touch even more effective.

3)There is always a matriarch female all other females stay out of her way and are scared to death if her kittens get near them. If she makes the danger noise everyone runs for cover.

4) Some females are just more mean than others, there offspring will fight with anyone and try to run off all other coon. The mellow females have offspring that get along with anyone.

5) When spooked the females do not put there kittens up a tree. The females take off running (how for I don't know). The kittens take off on there own and run up the 1st tree or shrub (or human leg) they come too. Some will stay up till the sow comes back, some slowly come down on there own. Some cry and go looking for the sow, some just hang out stay busy and wait.

I've got more but out of time for now.

Old Post 09-17-2021 01:36 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

That is very interesting. I have corn out all year long and find some periods of the year they leave it but the squirrels are always there

Old Post 09-17-2021 02:31 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
So here's my set up, I have one lone norway spruce tree in the middle of a field. Tree lines within 25 yards to the west, north and south, open to the east after 50 yards turns into mowed lawn. I have a few mowed paths up to the tree and mowed about 20 ft all the way around the spruce. So I have a 55 gallon feeder with corn in it 15 ft from the spruce to the west. I have a pan of water sunk into to ground 15 ft from the spruce to the east. where I toss corn down by the water. Early summer I have two small feeders and 8 bowls of food under the spruce, which is full of sweets and cat food. There are weeds, saplings and brush up around the outside bottom of the spruce for cover. Once my cameras start show kitten coon I put a chair out under the spruce and will sit out there about and hr before dark. I keep a bag of marsh mellows with me and as soon as coon come under the spruce I toss them mellows. It don't take long before at least half of them are eating out of my hand both adult and kittens. So some of the things I have learned.

1) Coon still run the same on a full moon. However they are really, really jumpy. They are on high alert the whole time, they flush faster, go further and stay gone longer.

2) They are dang near blind. They don't see well at all and spend more time on two hind legs with there head in the air winding. This is also why they put there hands in water all the time it makes there since touch even more effective.

3)There is always a matriarch female all other females stay out of her way and are scared to death if her kittens get near them. If she makes the danger noise everyone runs for cover.

4) Some females are just more mean than others, there offspring will fight with anyone and try to run off all other coon. The mellow females have offspring that get along with anyone.

5) When spooked the females do not put there kittens up a tree. The females take off running (how for I don't know). The kittens take off on there own and run up the 1st tree or shrub (or human leg) they come too. Some will stay up till the sow comes back, some slowly come down on there own. Some cry and go looking for the sow, some just hang out stay busy and wait.

I've got more but out of time for now.

Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Old Post 09-18-2021 02:52 AM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Deer are smarter than I thought!

My house is located in the hillside overlooking a river bottom and several hundred acres of swamp across the road. for the last three years a doe has had fawns about 200 feet from my house in the river bottom. My hounds are located next to my house in the woods. When my dogs bark an alarm type bark the doe will come to check the fawns and if they are OK she will run in a circle around them and duckout so they cant follow her. Sometime the hounds are still barking when she goes back to feeding where ever she came from. If the hounds bark for any other reason the doe never comes to check the fawns. I have observed this many times when I'm sitting on the deck having a cup of coffee. My conclusion is that this doe could call hounds better than many competition hunters!

Old Post 09-19-2021 08:12 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Deer are smarter than I thought!

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
My house is located in the hillside overlooking a river bottom and several hundred acres of swamp across the road. for the last three years a doe has had fawns about 200 feet from my house in the river bottom. My hounds are located next to my house in the woods. When my dogs bark an alarm type bark the doe will come to check the fawns and if they are OK she will run in a circle around them and duckout so they cant follow her. Sometime the hounds are still barking when she goes back to feeding where ever she came from. If the hounds bark for any other reason the doe never comes to check the fawns. I have observed this many times when I'm sitting on the deck having a cup of coffee. My conclusion is that this doe could call hounds better than many competition hunters!

don't guess a mule qualifies as a wild animal but my uncle had a mule that would start stamping her feet as soon as the dogs treed to go to them. She could call them treed as good as anybody. Wish I had one like Penny today.

Old Post 09-19-2021 08:40 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: Deer are smarter than I thought!

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry

LOL, yep the doe's know my dogs too. They like fresh dry corn in the winter and I take a bucket out every night when I feed the dogs. The dogs wine and yip a little when I hit the back door. The doe's hear them like a dinner bell and work there way around the pond. By the time i'm done doing chores they are standing out there waiting on there corn. Now most of the time it is dark in the winter when I feed. It can be a little scary walking out there with all those big eyes watching you.

Old Post 09-22-2021 02:10 PM