UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Closely related dogs with very different characteristics??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Closely related dogs with very different characteristics??

I just get to wondering sometimes how successful the idea of linebreeding is when I look in my yard. I have two hounds here that are very closely related. The male dog's mother and the females father were littermates and the other side of the pedigree is very closely related also.

MALE DOG: Probably 75 lbs, red brindle, not a spec of white, tall lanky dog, squall on track and open but not every breath, good locate, stand on the tree not moving treedog with a good mouth. Deep hunting dog that will go forever till he trees a coon.

FEMALE DOG: probably 40 lbs, very dark dog with just a little brindle, a little bit of white, short stocky dog, chop mouth and runs it wide open, poor locate, jumping around treedog with a quiet mouth, closer hunting dog that will make a 500 yard loop and come back if not struck.

Both have been straight as a string from the get go, easy to start, nice personality dogs that go hunting when cut.

I am not a breeder and if I was I would outcross, but if I would breed these dogs how can I know what to expect.....??? These are a tightly related couple of dogs that have some very different characteristics......is linebreeding really that successful??? LARRY ATHERTON this is all you buddy!!!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-16-2011 01:26 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

Linebreeding is only as good or bad as the breeding pair utilized, regardless of how they are put together from a pedigree standpoint. Most dogs will produce a wide variance, even from the standard deviation found throughout the pedigree. Unfortunately, very few dogs reliably produce two or three standard deviation above the mean when compared to the total population of stud dogs utilized. Same can be said about females. If they are loosely bred, they'll generally produce the same.

Old Post 05-16-2011 01:52 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Hey Briar, I ain't Larry but I can put some perspective on this.

There is variation in everything, what line breeding does is decrease that amount of variation. The tighter line bred the line is the less variation there is. That doesn't mean variation is gone.

You said yourself that both your dogs were pleasure to handle, easy to start, and no trash and hunt good. That's pretty consistant right there.

Also it depends on what traits are line bred on. In other words, if they didn't care about size, only ability then you would have much more variation in size, even from a very good linebred cross, than you would the things they used as a selection tool. Selection is still very very VERY important, even in line breeding. So say a breeder only used track speed, hunt, accuracy, and handling. Well you would get less variation there, but maybe huge variation in size, mouth, color, whatever WASN'T selected for.

In all you will get a much more predictable product from a good linebred cross than an outcross, but that is only in regard to the traits selected for. Now by default you will get a little less in all traits, but the big thing will be in what was selected for.

Old Post 05-16-2011 02:10 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
branchvillekell
UKC Forum Member

i have also seen closely knit linebreeding come full circle and the faults come out by ten fold.
that is when to outcross, jmo.
kelley

CAN YOU SPEAK ENGLISH

Old Post 05-16-2011 03:27 PM
branchvillekell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for branchvillekell Click here to Send branchvillekell a Private Message Click Here to Email branchvillekell Find more posts by branchvillekell Add branchvillekell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Ron,

The most important tool breeders have is selection, selection, and selection.

The breeding models are just tools to get us closer to our goals. If you want to decrease variability then inbreeding or linebreeding is a better tool to use than outcrossing. If you want to increase variability than outcrossing would be the tool to use. If you really want to increase variability than crossbreeding may better suit your goals.

All breeders should have a goal. They should all know what traits they desire in a hound, which traits they can live with or without, and those traits that can't live with.

Then they need to choose what breeding model best suits their goal and traits they desire.

Then they need choose which selection tools they want to use.

As Rip stated just because a dog looks like a linebred dog on paper doesn't mean it is a linebred dog on traits.

Aim small miss small

Last edited by Larry Atherton on 05-16-2011 at 03:38 PM

Old Post 05-16-2011 03:31 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

I've seen littermates be complete opposites in traits so we know it has to pup up in linebreeding.

Old Post 05-16-2011 03:37 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Check out the other pups from the litter and see what they are like

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 05-16-2011 04:24 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

You're getting some good factual stuff here. Also, the dogs you described sound like they are themselves crossbreeds so you can expect variation based on that as well. Several generations may be required to standardize them but where will you get a closely related dog that is not too close? Are the two you have Plott X Redbone, for examle? If you have to go out, which side would you go to?

Old Post 05-16-2011 04:47 PM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
As Rip stated just because a dog looks like a linebred dog on paper doesn't mean it is a linebred dog on traits.

Now this brings me to my next question. Can't I make a cross, with totally unrelated dogs, and be linebreeding on their hunt characteristics?? Is that a successful route to go? It is what I want to do in the future.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:05 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonscry
UKC Forum Member

Why am I 5 inches taller and 30 pounds lighter than my brother who has dark hair and I have light curley hair? I also am consistently employed and he goes from job to job with long durations of unemployment in between. I have no reason to think he's not my brother. We have the EXACT same family members. I wonder why?

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:08 PM
coonscry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonscry Click here to Send coonscry a Private Message Click Here to Email coonscry Find more posts by coonscry Add coonscry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Briar
Now this brings me to my next question. Can't I make a cross, with totally unrelated dogs, and be linebreeding on their hunt characteristics?? Is that a successful route to go? It is what I want to do in the future.

No you can't because they aren't related. They have to be related to get that consistancy. So dog 1s tree style comes from a combination of genes in the 300 location, but dog 2's comes from the 100 location. The genes that are responsible for the traits you like in one dog may not even be close to the same genes as make dog 2 what you like since they aren't related. They aren't close together and won't have any consistancy.

In a family their genetics are similar so you can get more consistancy. It's more likely that the same genes make both of them tree minded etc.

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:10 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Wow !! Boy do I disagree with the Above Statement !!!

Trates are Trates and if Proper selection is made in a Breeding Pair these "Trates" will Carry thru on Total Out Crosses as long as if Both of the Pair and Their Families Really Have "IT"

Tracking, Location, Treeing, Will to Catch are Traites that you/we Breed for ..

We have made Alot of Cross breedings But "Selection for the Next Breeding is Critical"

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:39 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Line breeding doesn't pan out in the real world anyway, atleast not with hounds. Maybe with livestock but not with animals that have to think.
Stylish Harry wasn't line bred, neither was Nite Heat Abby. Rat Attack wasn't, neither was Sackett Jr. Mojo sure as heck ain't line bred. It goes on and on. How many successful studs were a product of true line breeding? If there was ANY real answer to these breeding questions, someone would stand out for their success but in fact, while there are those who have proven to be better breeders than most, there are none that can be counted on to beat anyone else time after time. Look at the pedigrees of our most consistent winners and reproducers. Neither is dominated by line breeding. I agree that line breeding makes the most sense, it just doesn't prove out in real life.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:44 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Line breeding doesn't pan out in the real world anyway, atleast not with hounds. Maybe with livestock but not with animals that have to think.
Stylish Harry wasn't line bred, neither was Nite Heat Abby. Rat Attack wasn't, neither was Sackett Jr. Mojo sure as heck ain't line bred. It goes on and on. How many successful studs were a product of true line breeding? If there was ANY real answer to these breeding questions, someone would stand out for their success but in fact, while there are those who have proven to be better breeders than most, there are none that can be counted on to beat anyone else time after time. Look at the pedigrees of our most consistent winners and reproducers. Neither is dominated by line breeding. I agree that line breeding makes the most sense, it just doesn't prove out in real life.

Couldn't agree more. I won't waiste my time or money on a line bred hound.

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:46 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Maybe not up really close but go back a few generations. The foundation stock shows up over and over and over and over. Take my dog for instance. Look at a 6 generation pedigree on him. Look all through from top to bottom and left to right. YOu will see ......... LIPPER, BOZO, QUEEN, LIPPER, BOZO, QUEEN, LIPPER, BOZO, QUEEN, LIPPER , BOZO, QUEEN, LIPPER, BOZO,QUEEN, LIPPER, BOZO, QUEEN, ETC. Is that not some form of "linebreeding"?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 05-16-2011 06:28 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Jim,

You and i have been down this road before. You base a dog's worth on his nite hunt records alone. There is nothing wrong with that. It is what you want.

I, however, base a dog's worth on different set of standards. My standards are no less right or wrong than your standards. They are simply different standards.

I have no desire to own a stud dog. I have no desire to win a World Hunt. I simply want a style of dog that suits me that I don't have to go through a pile of dogs to get.

I have achieved my goal for many generations. So I will have to respectfully disagree that a breeder can achieve their goals by using linebreeding as a tool. By the way, that doesn't mean that other tools are any less useful either.

Everyone else,

I sure wish everyone would look beyond the fact that I often reference linebreeding as a breeding model. The major point I try very hard to make regarding breeding dogs is SELECTION is the most important tool! Fact is very few breeders take the time to make use of good selection tools as a habit.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 05-16-2011 06:47 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote