UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting out
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Hunting out

When should a young dog start hunting out any finding there own coon? Without any other dog!
I’ve got a 18 month dog that will tree coons but she not hunting out far , having to walk her some . Once she finds a track she will finish it.
I only hunt her by herself!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-09-2019 04:44 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LNeal
UKC Forum Member

Hunting out

Pull up close to a creek off the road cast your dog get back in the truck and wait.when you're dog starts leaving out and goes hunting stop walking it and start casting it.

Old Post 11-10-2019 12:23 AM
LNeal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LNeal Click here to Send LNeal a Private Message Find more posts by LNeal Add LNeal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I prefer a pup that when turned loose it will range out immediately...but something I do not do with pups...I don’t take them for long walks on leash and I try not to call them to me at home or when in the woods...I start this when they are 8 weeks and build up from there...however I train a good handle on them...I call them to me and pet them up and then get to what I am doing...I don’t want to be the pups best entertainment with him wanting to hang with me at all times...

I usually take a young dog to a good hunting spot and cast him...I find a good spot to sit and relax and ignore the pup...do this a few times and chances are the pup will cast further out...once it is ranging out good you can move along slowly and the pup might range further out because it wants to get on game...

The first cast the pup might go 200 yards and if it doesn’t strike chances are it will check in...keep surfing the net and ignore pup when he comes back...the pup should make a wider loop on his next cast...at that time you can slowly move ahead and let the dog work...

Also when roading a pup with a side by side or 4 wheeler...if we move along quickly and not wait on the pup when he hits a good track then the pup will develop a bad habit of only running super hot tracks...also he won’t range out as far...when roading it is all about the dogs...we want to get the best out of them...

Old Post 11-10-2019 12:29 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

sitting here waiting on midnight to come ! open season in ohio. but to you question ! 18 mts old if been hunted hard! they should be busting a hole in the dark! some dogs just want tho when hunted alone! jmo. not sure how she been hunted ! could be part of your problems.

Old Post 11-10-2019 01:28 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Chewbach...I agree...at 1.5 years she should be gone hunting unless this is her style or handler mistakes have been made...

Old Post 11-10-2019 06:20 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 11-11-2019 07:47 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Like so many things about our hunting dogs, hunt or search has more to do with genetic inheritance than it does with training. Any hound I've ever owned that was a close hunter was always a close hunter. Any hound I've ever owned that would get deep or hunted hard started out that way young and seemed to get deeper as they matured. Extreme hunt or desire tends to increase with age and maturity.

Reuben makes a good point in not being in a hurry to move on while your hound is hunting out an area. I've seen several hounds over the years that will check in more frequently while you're moving. Yet if you stop and sit or wait and they check in and find you're not moving they'll cast in deeper.

Personally I got no use for a hound that won't check back periodically if they haven't struck in. Part of it is because of the topography of the country I live and hunt in. Maybe it's because of all the years I hunted with no tracking equipment.

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:37 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

I loved your post, I definitely want my dogs to check in period. I have no use for a dig that won't come back until it's trees. I am coon hunting, not dog hunting. I hunt in mountains and I want a dog that hunts good, but strikes in hearing. No fun in looking for a dog, finding them trees, but NEVER getting to enjoy hearing the race. Maybe like you said, I grew up without tracking equipment and wanted dogs that handled. I still do, even with the best tracking equipment available, I still want to listen to my dogs run and tree, that's the fun part. Dave

Old Post 11-12-2019 04:08 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Dave, sounds like we are on the same page.

Old Post 11-12-2019 12:00 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote