UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Venomous snakes
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Venomous snakes

I don't summer hunt anymore, but was interested in how many of you all have encountered venomous snakes while summer hunting? I hunted for many years in these mountains during the spring and summer months and hardly saw a venomous snake. Who has gotten their dogs bit this year by a venomous snake? Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-05-2022 at 02:56 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-04-2022 10:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had one cottonmouth bit in a back foot this spring. Usually not a big deal with copperheads or cottonmouths.

Old Post 06-05-2022 12:00 AM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

A few years back I had snake bites to my dogs on a regular basis here at home. I have four acres fenced for pasture and let the dogs run in it often. I have never had one bit while hunting so far. They normally get over them over night.

Old Post 06-05-2022 05:29 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Not hunting , but three days ago I found a dead copperhead in a kennel with one of my curs. Luckily he killed it without being bitten

Old Post 06-05-2022 06:06 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

About 3 years ago I drove 2 hours and bought a dog. Stopped on the way back to hunt with a friend. First turnout they treed and we started to them. They quit barking. When I got there my dog came up out of the slew and couldn't hardly stand. Bitten in three places by cottonmouth. Thought he was gonna die before I could get him to the truck. Worst I had ever seen but I think multiple snakes bit him. The other dog was also bitten. Got him to town and gave him Benedryl and he made it fine. Also had a friend that had a dog we hunted 4 times and he got snake bit three times. Told him that dog was snake hunting. (He sure wasn't coon hunting. That's why we only hunted him 4 times)

Old Post 06-05-2022 03:05 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

We usually see about 3 cottonmouths on every hunt we make. Haven't had a dog bitten in 15 years.

Old Post 06-05-2022 11:32 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Venomous snakes

I always worried more about my dogs getting snake bit than myself getting bit. Dogs running and hunting in snake country are not looking for snakes and are more likely to get bit. Snakes are ambush hunters lying in wait for prey like rats, squirrels, etc. Snakes love lying by logs that prey items travel and dogs are more likely to get bit around these logs or paths as they hunt. Dave

Old Post 06-05-2022 11:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We haven't encountered anything venomous yet this year but I carry a bottle of dex at all times.
My non-venomous story from Saturday. I'm inside a local gas station and all of a sudden these people come running in hollering for the manager because there is a big snake in the parking lot. The female manager says she does do snakes. Some guy gets this little box he's going to trap it in. I'm watching this fiasco from the window thinking these people are idiots that just a black snake. So I leave my items inside and calmly walk out pick it up by the tail and move it out into the grass why a bunch of sissy lala men stand there gawking 🤣.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 06-07-2022 at 01:07 AM

Old Post 06-06-2022 07:58 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Jen you story reminds me of a time in the bank when a black snake had gotten up on a counter. One officer had a big rock and I asked him what he was gonna do. He said there's a snake in there. I went in and caught him behind the neck and he curled around my arm. Took him to the parking lot and let him go. After that they called me the snake handling preacher.

Old Post 06-06-2022 09:47 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

You can put me in the sissy lala group lol. If I was left to fend for myself there would be birdshot and some interior decorating required

Old Post 06-06-2022 10:07 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snakes

I don't mind non venomous snakes, they keep the rodents in check. I do mind venomous snakes, a bite will be costly even if it does not kill. Rattlesnakes are the ones to avoid, both man and dogs, they have s very potent cocktail in their venom. They can be fatal to dogs even with treatment. The cost of treatment for humans is going to be very hefty, 150k to 250k at least and for most folks that can put a hurt on your pocketbook. I avoid rattlesnake country until they den up. Dave

Old Post 06-07-2022 02:30 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm with you, Dave. I'm not very concerned with cottonmouths, but I do worry about a 6 foot rattler.

Old Post 06-07-2022 03:52 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I'm with you, Dave. I'm not very concerned with cottonmouths, but I do worry about a 6 foot rattler.

Donald, I was just curious as to how many hunters hunt during rattlesnakes active months and how many encounter rattlesnakes while coon hunting and if they ever get a dog bit from a rattlesnake. In my country you can hunt where there are no rattlesnakes, but down south rattlesnakes are pretty much found every where.. Do you have areas with no rattlesnakes? Dave

Old Post 06-09-2022 05:40 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Donald, I was just curious as to how many hunters hunt during rattlesnakes active months and how many encounter rattlesnakes while coon hunting and if they ever get a dog bit from a rattlesnake. In my country you can hunt where there are no rattlesnakes, but down south rattlesnakes are pretty much found every where.. Do you have areas with no rattlesnakes? Dave
Dave, we hunt mostly swampy areas. Not many rattlers. I've only killed 3 rattlers in my life. One while rabbit hunting and two squirrel hunting. People always say cottonmouths are very aggressive. We see them every hunt we make and haven't had a dog bitten in years. I've seen a lot more alligators than rattlesnakes.

Old Post 06-09-2022 02:48 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Dave do you remember the Outlaw dog Kyle Chase hunted and what happened to him?

Old Post 06-09-2022 03:21 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't know if Dave knows, but you have my curiosity piqued.

Old Post 06-09-2022 06:17 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Dave do you remember the Outlaw dog Kyle Chase hunted and what happened to him?

No Sir. I don't remember that dog, Kyle has owned a bunch of dogs that I never hunted with. What happened to him? Dave

Old Post 06-09-2022 09:44 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Outlaw got bit by a rattler on top of the head. All the flesh went away and the skin just layed on the skull. Had to be put down.

Old Post 06-09-2022 10:17 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Outlaw got bit by a rattler on top of the head. All the flesh went away and the skin just layed on the skull. Had to be put down.

Wow, that was bad, did he get bit in North Carolina? Kyle hunted a lot with Jimmy Meeks back in those days. Dave

Old Post 06-09-2022 10:50 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Really don't remember but think it was in your neighborhood

Old Post 06-10-2022 02:01 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Snake bite

quote:

Thanks for the reply. It could have been around here, Kyle summer hunted a lot and we have rattlesnakes in the mountains. Kyle hunted in BAYS MOUNTAIN and CLINCH MOUNTAINS, both have rattlesnakes. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2022 03:13 AM
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Im new on the board

Don't know many people on here other than Mr. Bruce Conkey that lives down the road from me a bit. We hunt in North Florida and South Georgia and are covered up with venomous snakes. I average killing at least one cottonmouth a night right now. I do carry dex and benadryl injections in my bag.

I was speaking with my new vet last week, and he was advising against both of those meds. He told me that they, at least in his office are doing laser therapy for snake bites with extremely good success. It costs around 230-240 a session and could take 1 to 3 daily sessions. He claimed he had not lost an animal and all have had minimal tissue damage. Just have to get the animal to them in time is key.

Again, no experience, but would much rather pay for 2 or 3 days of laser therapy rather than several vials of antivenin at 800 a vial......

Old Post 06-10-2022 03:29 AM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Yadkinriver

quote:

I spoke with Kyle Chase tonight, Kyle told me that his dog got bit in South Carolina while he was down there hunting with Tim Cramer. Thought you might want to know where it happened. Kyle has been pretty sick lately Covid and heart issues, said he had not hunted in over 2 months, but hopes to hunt when he gets better. He loves coon hunting. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2022 03:39 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

thanks for the info. going to add him to my prayer list. one of the nicest most honest men i've ever known and a very good dog man to boot.

Old Post 06-10-2022 12:33 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Kyle Chase

quote:
thanks for the info. going to add him to my prayer list. one of the nicest most honest men i've ever known and a very good dog man to boot.

Yes Sir. Kyle is a really good man and has owned some nice dogs. Kyle raised Yadkin River Jeff, one of the most important dogs in the Yadkin River Line of dogs., along with Roselle his mother. I will tell Kyle about your nice compliment regarding him, he will appreciate it. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2022 10:26 PM