UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pretty slow....
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Pretty slow....

Coon not moving here... December - January almost a complete waste of time to coon hunt here. Used some Tucks Coon scent to lay some drags for the young dog today. What do you do with you hounds when you have a stretch where you can't be hunting heavy?

best lunch in wilmington nc

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-30-2020 10:33 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I feel your pain. Likely be late Feb early March before they start moving here depending what kinda winter we have. We're not completely shut down here yet but close. Had couple strikes off the rig Mon night but they were cold the coons We're down in afternoon I'd say. I go cat hunting a little with the boys if I get bored enough, maybe take in a beagle hunt or two. It's a long stretch I hate it lol. Price we pay for cool summer nights and no snakes I guess.

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:16 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Out there somewhere every night there is a coon moving, just have to have a dog willing to go find it.

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:18 AM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
Out there somewhere every night there is a coon moving, just have to have a dog willing to go find it.

I've lived and hunted in Indiana... Quite a different story. I've walked miles of rivers and creeks in the winter here.... Not a single coon track. They hybernate for long periods here.... And completely leave for the hills in the winter. But if you got a dog that can find em here in December c'mon out.

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:28 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91

Come on up

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:30 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Can’t legally cross the border. But I’ve hunted WV in early January, shoved my truck as far as I could and still had to walk a lot

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:34 AM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Sam, couple other factors here are the general coon population is low. Even when they are moving good in the Spring- it's nothing to hunt a few night and only cut one or two tracks. And what surprises most people about Wyoming.... Is I only have very small places to hunt. Thousands upon thousands of acres of public land here.... But most of it is essentially desert. The national forest is mountains that have too much snow and cold for coons.

I take a trip once or twice a year just to coon hunt. Last couple years I've done Missouri, Arkansas, and Iowa. Sure miss the hunting in Indiana.

Last edited by houndsound on 12-31-2020 at 12:43 AM

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:40 AM
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Come on up. I’m 35-40 minutes from where they hold
Autumn oaks and have more hunting than I can shake a stick at. Nobody around here ever wants to hunt, and thought it said WV, not WY that’s my own fault. Never been to WY

Last edited by Sfox91 on 12-31-2020 at 12:47 AM

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:44 AM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Great place to live and raise a family.... Dumb place to be a coon hunter, lol.

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:53 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Sam I'm a looong way from west Virginia lol. Most of our coon den in the ground. Put couple feet snow and ice on top and they'll stay there til late Feb. They wake up hungry and horny and it don't get cold enough that you can't run a coon. Bring snowshoes

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:53 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

That would be a tough thing to deal with (the coon not moving) , I would say you are doing about all you can do by just laying a drag and working her. I know that most any given night I want to head out that I can tree a coon somewhere , it may take driving and a lot of walking to get to the dog but he/she will tree one somewhere if cut loose. #spoiled. I’ve visited Wyoming a few times and I would say you are correct about being a great place to live and raise a family, just not many coons.

Old Post 12-31-2020 12:51 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

Man if i lived in WY i would be lookin for some better critters to chase than coons. What about lynx, bobcat, mountain lion? I think if i lived up there and got to tree those i wouldnt care if i ever treed another coon again.

Old Post 12-31-2020 01:20 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound, you ever run your hounds on cats? I'd love the opportunity to do that with my hounds... I've not purposely broke my old dog off house cats for just that reason... He's only treed three in his lifetime, but I've just caught him and pulled him off the tree.. Have dreams of putting him in a cat race out west some day!!

Old Post 12-31-2020 02:27 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I used to tree lions when I was a kid.... people think I'm crazy.... but it kinda bores me at this point. For me it's not about the game- it's about the hound work. To each his own, I have a friend that hunt nothing but cats. I have a friend who chases both.

The cat hunting is cool- it's not great hunting for bobcats here- there is a decent populations, but on the mountains there are not roads and you will be walking miles of tough country in deep snow to get to your hounds... till you've hiked the Big Horn or Rocky Mountains you can't understand the challenge it is... not like the hills or mountains east. Off the mountain there just aren't any trees and you can about guarantee a bobcat will end up in a hole.

Lions are much better to run in the mountains... they have very small hearts and lungs for their body size and tree up much faster than a bobcat. Unless you turn your hound out on a real old track- a lion track will tree up pretty fast. But I've been under a dozen or so lions... and the novelty is gone....

People think I am crazy to prefer coon hunting over cat hunting... and I can't explain why I prefer it but I do. I like the fact that my hounds have to hunt for their track... 99% of cat hunters drive around until they find a track and then turn the dogs lose on it. I like the fact that I can go coon hunt for an hour and come home if I want. A cat hunt pretty much takes an entire day of driving, planning, hiking, etc.... I like the fact my hounds can't see what's the tree, they have to trust their brain and nose to tree a coon. Not to knock my friend's cat hounds- they are nice dogs... but they do not have to be bred to hunt a track up, be trash free, and can usually see the game in the tree... and if not the odor of a 150 pound critter is easier to locate than a 20 pound critter. Its challenging to do it here in Wyoming- again kinda' why I'm drawn to it. Once I have hounds that excel here on coon... when I retire and move elsewhere I'll enjoy the coon hunting all the more.

I know a couple guys here that cat hunt really seriously and have nice hounds... but it is part of their full time work. Most people out here that have big game hounds... I call em' Harley hounds... they own hounds like most people own Harley motorcycles. They only use them once or twice a year- don't really know what they are doing, and own them for the primary purpose of perpetuating a macho identity.

To each their own... I've just always been a coon hunter, can't really give you a logical reason why I prefer it over cat hunting. Maybe there is a reason the phrase "Wow that was a smart coon hunter" is not heard that often.

But if you want to tree a cat I could help you out.

Last edited by houndsound on 12-31-2020 at 03:44 PM

Old Post 12-31-2020 03:39 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound your thoughts on cat hunting are exactly the same as mine lol. Eight hours on snowshoes ain't my idea of a good time.

Old Post 12-31-2020 03:46 PM