UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How to keep dog from running the road?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jmiller85
UKC Forum Member

How to keep dog from running the road?

I have a pup starting to tree a few coons. If he doesnt strike very quick, he usually make a big cirlcle coming out in front of me and taking off on the road. Aftler I catch him and correct him and send him back in the wood he usually does the same thing. Thanks for any advice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-24-2019 04:43 AM
Jmiller85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmiller85 Click here to Send Jmiller85 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmiller85 Find more posts by Jmiller85 Add Jmiller85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

I had a female that wanted to run the roads. I used the e collar to get her caught and a switch to inspire her to go the way I aimed her. She figured it out pretty quick.

Old Post 09-24-2019 07:34 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Just keep at it. He will adapt

Old Post 09-24-2019 07:36 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Find a place to hunt with some coon where you can drive a distance into it where roads aren't close, once he starts treeing coon, he may forget about roads.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 09-24-2019 06:14 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

Find a busier road !

If you get one treed before hitting the road, pull out. Try to keep finding easy coon without road privelege?!good luck!!

Old Post 09-25-2019 01:54 PM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Use an Alpha, teach him that roads aren't nice. If he goes more than 20 yds down a road, zap him. If he has a brain, he will learn not to get in a road. Now that is the way I do it. Around here a dog that runs a road doesn't last very long. Do it when he is young. If you dont, a car will teach him and that isn't a very nice thing.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 09-25-2019 at 04:34 PM

Old Post 09-25-2019 02:53 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: How to keep dog from running the road?

quote:
Originally posted by Jmiller85
I have a pup starting to tree a few coons. If he doesnt strike very quick, he usually make a big cirlcle coming out in front of me and taking off on the road. Aftler I catch him and correct him and send him back in the wood he usually does the same thing. Thanks for any advice.

Some dogs are worse than others and this is something ive been wondering about for a long time cause ive seen this happen alot as well . some just love the path of least resistance ,,, ive noticed alot of animals are like this not just dogs. so its always scrambled my mind a little.

Question for ya ... Have you ever had him to veer off that road hes hit and get a coon treed near the road before you got to him and caught up ?

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 09-25-2019 06:27 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Seems to me a dog that trees the majority of its coon by running with it’s head up will take the path of least resistance . An I have seen them fall off on a coon. One that winds the coon will run roads , around the edge of fields. Had one you could watch on garmin. When it straightened up an started making circles you could bank on it that it was fixing to open it’s mouth.

Old Post 09-25-2019 06:45 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Have no worries

I break road runners of all ages at any time I wish. It's really easier than most Hunters would think !!! I have many different ways to do it, but I always start with a little Obedience!
Give this a try.
Spend 10 to 15 minutes every other day Obedience training your Hound in your back yard for a week or two. Set in a no command I use the noise AGHT!! AGHT!!! then set in a Yes command by feeding a lean meat treat every time you say OK (yes).

Then use these new Tools to tell your Hound NO (AGHT! AGHT!!) when their on the road and then tell them Yes (OK) when they go in the timber! Repeat Problem Solved !!!

if we put the steps in we achieve Speed Training, for real, For REAL!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Old Post 09-27-2019 04:18 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote