UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Mtn Cur Color
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Mtn Cur Color

Just wondering if you all have seen many curs with alot of white. I got a pup from a friend of mine, the father of the pup was a nice brindle male and the mother yellow. well my pup looks like an over sized jack russell has a yellow head with a blaze small spot on his shoulder and a spot on his rump there also was a brindle pup came out the same way all the rest where brindle anyone ever see many mtn curs this way. very smart pup that i can't register as a mtn.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2013 04:04 AM
Lingarcur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lingarcur Click here to Send Lingarcur a Private Message Click Here to Email Lingarcur Find more posts by Lingarcur Add Lingarcur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fycedogs
Banned

I think you might of answered your own question. To look on the positive side it could be some hound showing up.

Old Post 07-23-2013 04:27 AM
fycedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fycedogs Click here to Send fycedogs a Private Message Click Here to Email fycedogs Visit fycedogs's homepage! Find more posts by fycedogs Add fycedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

i like the white easier to see in the woods makes him stand out around other dogs we just thought this was strange because this cross has been made several times and never nothing like this has came out was curious if others had seen any miss marks like this before thanks.

Old Post 07-23-2013 09:26 AM
Lingarcur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lingarcur Click here to Send Lingarcur a Private Message Click Here to Email Lingarcur Find more posts by Lingarcur Add Lingarcur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Give us a better idea......

.......of the dog's pedigree and I bet we can figure out where all that white is coming from........

Mark.

Old Post 07-23-2013 02:06 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mtn Cur Color

quote:
Originally posted by Lingarcur
Just wondering if you all have seen many curs with alot of white. I got a pup from a friend of mine, the father of the pup was a nice brindle male and the mother yellow. well my pup looks like an over sized jack russell has a yellow head with a blaze small spot on his shoulder and a spot on his rump there also was a brindle pup came out the same way all the rest where brindle anyone ever see many mtn curs this way. very smart pup that i can't register as a mtn.

I won’t go into a lot of detail and will not try to speculate from where the pieball coloration came from but I will share a little about the genetics!

The Pieball pattern on a dog is determined by the “S” locus or white spotting. The Pieball gene “sp” is a recessive gene to ‘S’ or non spotting but are incomplete dominance meaning that a dog carrying the recessive ‘sp’ pieball gene expresses its most dominant gene but can also be affected by the recessive gene such as the pieball gene but not to the extent of the pure pieball or ‘sp sp’ dog such as the Walker Hound.

For example all these cur dogs you see with a lot of white trim or chrome on the legs, face and chest are more than likely carrying the recessive pieball gene as ‘S sp’. These ‘S sp’ dogs can and will show varying degrees of white form almost none to very heavy Chrome with an occasional small white open spot usually behind the neck or on the back in the tail area. This is a dead giveaway of the ‘sp’ gene carried in a recessive state.

Now, when you breed two dogs that are carrying the recessive pieball gene and a pup happens to receive a pieball gene from both parents! “Whala”, you get a pieball pup out of a litter of brindle, yellow, etc pups.

A lot of dogs may carry the pieball gene and are solid colors or brindle with very little to no white. The recessive gene may stay hidden for many years and then pop up expectantly.

As breeders you may try and bred away from the pieball genes and you can to some degree but it may and usually will be carried in a recessive state for many generations to only 'bite you in the butt' when you least expect it!!

http://treeprokennels.webs.com/

"TREE DOGS ARE BORN NOT MADE"

Old Post 07-23-2013 02:47 PM
TURBO DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO DOG Click here to Send TURBO DOG a Private Message Click Here to Email TURBO DOG Visit TURBO DOG's homepage! Find more posts by TURBO DOG Add TURBO DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

from barn breeding back in the day.....and maybe even today lol//// just had to say it guys.....if it trees the game you want, who cares about the amount of white.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:42 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Im with you danny color doesn't matter to me as long as he trees but ive been around a few curs and he was the first ive seen with this much white on him got big plans for this little guy he seems pretty smart for his age. as far as his breeding i can't recall exact dogs but his father was heavy linebreed streak and mother mt jackson.

Old Post 07-23-2013 09:45 PM
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

That's pretty much what I figured.....

"....as far as his breeding i can't recall exact dogs but his father was heavy linebreed streak and mother mt jackson."

Which is also likely the answer to your question about where the excessive white comes from.........

Mark.

Old Post 07-23-2013 09:56 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
luv2hunt08
UKC Forum Member

What Mr Morrison is trying to say without saying it is the WHITE is coming from Jackson.

Old Post 07-23-2013 11:22 PM
luv2hunt08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for luv2hunt08 Click here to Send luv2hunt08 a Private Message Click Here to Email luv2hunt08 Find more posts by luv2hunt08 Add luv2hunt08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Thats what i figured but its ok i really like this pup so far just curious on the coloring of him and what others have seen over the years. Thanks for all the replys guys

Old Post 07-24-2013 12:18 AM
UKC Forum Member

you could smell the jackson from way off on this one....

Old Post 07-24-2013 12:20 AM
TOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOP Click here to Send TOP a Private Message Click Here to Email TOP Find more posts by TOP Add TOP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knighttrain
UKC Forum Member

Post a pic of your pup and let us check it out... I would like to have a bridle with white tips and a white color around his neck.yellow with white tips and around the neck would do also!!! I just like a little white my self!!!

Email:
kris@hydraservice.net

ROCKIN KK KENNELS
The Hunting Dog Public Podcast

Old Post 07-24-2013 01:06 AM
knighttrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knighttrain Click here to Send knighttrain a Private Message Click Here to Email knighttrain Find more posts by knighttrain Add knighttrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

whats up with the jackson dog? I had considered breeding to bounce a few years ago.

Old Post 07-24-2013 02:26 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

He was a big winner, and he throws a lot of white , so he must have false papers. I mean the possibility that the white is simply caused by a gene that cropped up from way back when isn't even possible. And of course he isn't a 'foundation' (plott) bred dog so right there is an automatic strike one.

Old Post 07-24-2013 03:48 PM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

A couple years ago.......

I bred two grandpups out of Mtn. Jackson, both of whom were OMCBA World Hunt Champs, and wound up with 5 pups, 2 of whom were colored up like I suspect your dog may be.

Mark.

Old Post 07-24-2013 04:06 PM
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by McSquizzie
He was a big winner, and he throws a lot of white , so he must have false papers. I mean the possibility that the white is simply caused by a gene that cropped up from way back when isn't even possible. And of course he isn't a 'foundation' (plott) bred dog so right there is an automatic strike one.

I do not know the history of the Mt Jackson dog but most of our breeds of cur dogs carrie hidden genes that can and do crop up on ocassion.

Here is a chocolate Kemmer pup my grandson is holding. The KSBA hasn't had chocolate pups in many years. Now we have a couple born in 3 different litters. All were DNA tested for parentage and were correct. The parents were also tested for the 'chocolate gene' 'b' which is carried recessively by the parents in question.

So yes, 'genes do crop up from way back when'!

Old Post 07-24-2013 04:44 PM
TURBO DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO DOG Click here to Send TURBO DOG a Private Message Click Here to Email TURBO DOG Visit TURBO DOG's homepage! Find more posts by TURBO DOG Add TURBO DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

Oh...I thought he was a Streak bred dog. But, yes lots of questionable breeding goes on at times. I have a litter of puppies that are 2 weeks old out of a Thundersport male and my treeing cur female. They look like Mountain Curs and even had a offer to Register them OMCBA by using papers off of another female. Im just not into that sort of thing. I don't even know if i will register them at all and let the owners single register them if they want papers. I bred these two simply for my own use. If I do register them they will be Treeing Cur because thats what they are.

Old Post 07-24-2013 04:50 PM
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by amazingcursouth
Oh...I thought he was a Streak bred dog. But, yes lots of questionable breeding goes on at times. I have a litter of puppies that are 2 weeks old out of a Thundersport male and my treeing cur female. They look like Mountain Curs and even had a offer to Register them OMCBA by using papers off of another female. Im just not into that sort of thing. I don't even know if i will register them at all and let the owners single register them if they want papers. I bred these two simply for my own use.

" If I do register them they will be Treeing Cur because thats what they are."

AND, that is the way it should be!!!

Old Post 07-24-2013 05:02 PM
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Mark your right those white pups in that litter look alot like my male lol ill see if i can round up the camara and figure out how to get a pic on here. OMCBA won't register him so im like the others i raise Treeing curs to and i mainly hunt for me so id say he will be single registerd as a treeing cur his parents are true meat dogs nothing fancy but you can kill alot a squirrels lol

Old Post 07-24-2013 05:09 PM
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

FYI

quote:
Originally posted by Lingarcur
Mark your right those white pups in that litter look alot like my male lol ill see if i can round up the camara and figure out how to get a pic on here. OMCBA won't register him so im like the others i raise Treeing curs to and i mainly hunt for me so id say he will be single registerd as a treeing cur his parents are true meat dogs nothing fancy but you can kill alot a squirrels lol

You can register overly white pups/dogs out of OMCBA parents with the United Mountain Cur Association......I've been to a few of their hunts recently and have very much enjoyed it.

Mark.

Old Post 07-24-2013 06:09 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Turbo, Hidden genes may pop up on occasion. With Mt. Jackson, it ain't occasionally, it is often.

Old Post 07-24-2013 07:01 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Heres some pics i hope they work

Last edited by Lingarcur on 07-24-2013 at 09:13 PM

Old Post 07-24-2013 09:10 PM
UKC Forum Member

jackson was a hell of huntin' dawg.....and was probably bred to more than any other omc stud out there.....and he does throw a lot of white in his offspring.....

now for offering papers to false register a dawg.....that is a sorry thing indeed. Glad you wasn't afraid to call a spade, a spade on that deal.

Old Post 07-24-2013 09:58 PM
TOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOP Click here to Send TOP a Private Message Click Here to Email TOP Find more posts by TOP Add TOP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TOP
jackson was a hell of huntin' dawg.....and was probably bred to more than any other omc stud out there.....and he does throw a lot of white in his offspring.....

now for offering papers to false register a dawg.....that is a sorry thing indeed. Glad you wasn't afraid to call a spade, a spade on that deal.

U think he was bred to more than streak?

Old Post 07-24-2013 10:07 PM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Yes, by far.....

quote:
Originally posted by McSquizzie
U think he was bred to more than streak?

......from what I understand. I can't recall the exact number, but when Jackson was nominated for the OMCBA HOF a few years back, I seem to remember that the number of PERMANENTLY registered dogs out of him in the OMCBA was well over 300.

Mark.

Old Post 07-24-2013 10:12 PM