UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How to break a dog from running down the road
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

How to break a dog from running down the road

I have a young dog that struck a coon out the box recently. I drove down the road about 500 or 600 yards for where he struck it, walked in the woods about the normal 15 yards or so and cast. The dog wheeled back to the road to where it struck the coon out of the box and treed the coon right by the road. Since then, it has been making a habit of wheeling back to the road and hunting down the road instead of straight into the woods the direction I cast him. This can cause all kinds of problems, mostly getting hit on the road.

Any tips on correcting a dog for hunting off/running down the road?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-22-2020 11:26 AM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is what they make shock collars for. Don't walk him into the woods. Cut him from the road.

Old Post 09-22-2020 02:10 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2 on the shock collar...... shouldn't take much if the dog has any intelligence at all.

Old Post 09-22-2020 04:15 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

Exactly how would you correct it with the shock collar …. Can you be more specific?

Old Post 09-22-2020 04:38 PM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MorAnd
Exactly how would you correct it with the shock collar …. Can you be more specific?

Pressure/release
Apply pressure with the collar until the dog gets off the road and let off the button.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-22-2020 05:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Just turn him up the road if ya don’t want him going down the road 😃

Old Post 09-22-2020 06:39 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DMG_3
Just turn him up the road if ya don’t want him going down the road 😃

Oh my goodness, that sounds like something that I would do.

Old Post 09-22-2020 06:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

My method is.... as long as they go straight across the road they are fine. If they get to the blacktop and they turn left or right they get stimulation until they get OFF the road. Usually it doesn't take em long to figure out running down the road HURTS.

Old Post 09-23-2020 02:29 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the recommended methods to correct this. I'm curious to hear others, especially if you've had this problem … curious to hear what did or did not work. Or, if you'd recommend definitely NOT doing something to correct it. I've got a real nice young dog and don't want to cause 2 problems trying to 1.

Old Post 09-23-2020 04:13 PM
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

DO NOT use high intensity to begin with, start out low and gradually increase if necessary. Depending on how your dog reacts to an e-collar you could start out using vibration instead of e-stimuli. In my dog training, vibrate means GO, tone means COME. So I can break one from running the road just by using vibrate.

Old Post 09-23-2020 07:06 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote