UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ehrlichia advice + thyroid
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sweetenscove1
UKC Forum Member

Ehrlichia advice + thyroid

I have a three year old English that has been a coon treeing machine since he was a very young dog , this summer I got him from the guy who owned him , he’s been on thyroid meds since he was 18 months old , now looking back I’m sure his levels were hurt from ehrlichia since I just now took him to have those tests ran and the snap test showed he’d been in contact with ehrlichia and now I’m putting two and two together. He gets really hot and seems like he can’t push a track the way he used too still trees coons and has good drive just gets hot and like I said don’t push a track good and seems to miss more now , but my question is should I still hunt him some while he’s on this doxy he just started or not ? I mean a would a short hunt a couple nights a week hurt ? And is doxy alone good enough to treat this ? I’m just concerned I really like this dog . And some people say that after treatment on the antibiotics they lose there minds so I’m freaking out

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-2022 09:02 AM
Sweetenscove1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetenscove1 Click here to Send Sweetenscove1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sweetenscove1 Find more posts by Sweetenscove1 Add Sweetenscove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Treatment with the antibiotics isn't the problem. The underlying disease is the problem.
There are no studies to show that hunting them while taking doxy hurts them but they won't be right until the erlichia is cured and thyroid levels are normalized. You will just get frustrated and mad at them.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-11-2022 at 02:40 PM

Old Post 08-11-2022 02:37 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sweetenscove1
UKC Forum Member

Yea that’s why I took him to the vet initially, I was starting to get irritated and stepped back and thought I better see if something is wrong before I just start acting silly

Old Post 08-11-2022 09:54 PM
Sweetenscove1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetenscove1 Click here to Send Sweetenscove1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sweetenscove1 Find more posts by Sweetenscove1 Add Sweetenscove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Brothers
UKC Forum Member

Give a imizol shot on day one and day 14 along with doxycycline for 6 weeks, I have dealt with this for 2 yrs now , with a low thyroid your dog will run hot, I think I am finally getting his thyroid in check and after giving him the imizol shot he tested negative for Ehrlichia.

Old Post 08-11-2022 11:14 PM
D Brothers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Brothers Click here to Send D Brothers a Private Message Click Here to Email D Brothers Find more posts by D Brothers Add D Brothers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sweetenscove1
UKC Forum Member

D brothers will you give me a call , 931-691-3419

Old Post 08-11-2022 11:47 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The doxy itself can make a human feel like their skin is on fire along with numerous other side effects. Lay him up during treatment and keep him in the shade it also makes skin very sun sensitive.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-12-2022 01:30 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sweetenscove1
UKC Forum Member

Thanks so much , I was unsure how the medicine affected them . I’ll let him rest up then

Old Post 08-12-2022 01:49 AM