UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup Prices
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
Just to give the discussion some scope. I did a random sampling of the UKC Forums Treeing Walker Dogs and Puppies For Sale page, comparing ads for litters of puppies from 2020 and 2014...

The average going rate of a pup in the 2020 random sampling was $690...

The average going rate of a pup in the 2014 random sampling was $370...

(This isn't anything official, just a hillbilly doing math)

That's a $320 increase between averages over 5-6 years. Just curious as to the what is stimulating that rise, regardless if it's a gradual increase or a steep increase.

We all know it can't be coon prices lol

1 thing is supply not near as many hunters raising pups now as in 2014. also not as many people selling started dogs now as before. not near as many trainers today there was 10 years ago.

All opinions welcome!

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-07-2020 09:42 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Paying a thousand or 2 thousand for a pup is just to high in my opinion. There is no guarantee that pup is going to turn out like it should, it's way to much of a risk for that kind of money. Everyone knows there is no guarantee that the cross is going to throw what is hoped for and there is no guarantee that the same cross will work twice or a third and fourth time, that's just a fact and people can deny that all they want but there is plenty of threads on here about breeding where people say the samething I'm saying right now. But if you wanna go out there and pay that for a pup then go ahead it's not my money being put on the line and I hope it works out for you because that is alot of money where I'm from and everyone doesnt have it to just throw around on a maybe. They're is hounds on here everyday that are started and treeing there on coon that I'd feel more comfortable spending that kind of money on, than I would for a pup on a hope and a prayer that he/she will turn out like there sire or dam.

Old Post 08-07-2020 10:05 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Pup prices, high or low??

I have a litter of pups on the ground right now. They just turned 3 weeks old and so far all 12 are living. I haven't raised a litter in probably 10 or 12 years because I haven't had anything worth raising a litter out of. My pups are Performanced and SS. I have all sold as of now but like said before some may back out whereas I have back ups on the list. I always guaranteed my pups in the past to run and tree at a year old or I will refund your pup price in full if returned in good mental and physical health. I still do that. One thing people should realize is when you buy a pup out of quality parents even world champion dogs, you're still only getting the pup not the parents. I've had or bought pups out of supposedly the best in their breed at the time and ended up with average pups at the best. A pup is like a lottery ticket, you're taking a chance when you buy one. I'm selling my pups for $300 picked up at my house and I should make money from this litter but that's not counting all the time and labor that goes into raising a litter. Remember, just because you pay more for a new vehicle doesn't mean it'll get you from point A to Point B any faster, just some food for thought.

Old Post 08-08-2020 12:43 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pup prices, high or low??

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
I have a litter of pups on the ground right now. They just turned 3 weeks old and so far all 12 are living. I haven't raised a litter in probably 10 or 12 years because I haven't had anything worth raising a litter out of. My pups are Performanced and SS. I have all sold as of now but like said before some may back out whereas I have back ups on the list. I always guaranteed my pups in the past to run and tree at a year old or I will refund your pup price in full if returned in good mental and physical health. I still do that. One thing people should realize is when you buy a pup out of quality parents even world champion dogs, you're still only getting the pup not the parents. I've had or bought pups out of supposedly the best in their breed at the time and ended up with average pups at the best. A pup is like a lottery ticket, you're taking a chance when you buy one. I'm selling my pups for $300 picked up at my house and I should make money from this litter but that's not counting all the time and labor that goes into raising a litter. Remember, just because you pay more for a new vehicle doesn't mean it'll get you from point A to Point B any faster, just some food for thought.
X2 What your saling your pups for is a good price for pups and the guaranteed to be treeing at a year old or the full pup price back is the way it should be done also, the way they should be in my opinion.

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 08-08-2020 at 05:31 AM

Old Post 08-08-2020 05:29 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Paying a thousand or 2 thousand for a pup is just to high in my opinion. There is no guarantee that pup is going to turn out like it should, it's way to much of a risk for that kind of money. Everyone knows there is no guarantee that the cross is going to throw what is hoped for and there is no guarantee that the same cross will work twice or a third and fourth time, that's just a fact and people can deny that all they want but there is plenty of threads on here about breeding where people say the samething I'm saying right now. But if you wanna go out there and pay that for a pup then go ahead it's not my money being put on the line and I hope it works out for you because that is alot of money where I'm from and everyone doesnt have it to just throw around on a maybe. They're is hounds on here everyday that are started and treeing there on coon that I'd feel more comfortable spending that kind of money on, than I would for a pup on a hope and a prayer that he/she will turn out like there sire or dam.

Good logical sense post...👍

Old Post 08-08-2020 02:26 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Pup prices

I do not raise pups but I have always thought coonhound pups were dirt cheap. AKC yard dogs sell for $1200 to $2000 and we sell pups for $300. Our hounds must be bred for track, tree, mouth, disposition, confirmation and the list goes on. Vet bills, vaccines, wormers, etc. have tripled in the last ten years. Everyone wants a super staked pup and this is a big investment. With all this being said, $300-$400 dollars for a well bred pup is a bargain. If a breeder intends to make money, they should be raising lap dogs.

Old Post 08-08-2020 02:40 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I’ve never raised a pup that didn’t make something. So all these pups that “just don’t make it” either y’all didn’t do your part or they must have had some sorry parents. I’m not saying they all made WCHS or NCH’s but they all would leave you and go tree a coon.

Old Post 08-08-2020 04:30 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duane Kehres
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I’ve never raised a pup that didn’t make something. So all these pups that “just don’t make it” either y’all didn’t do your part or they must have had some sorry parents. I’m not saying they all made WCHS or NCH’s but they all would leave you and go tree a coon.
As to what Jason just said...I understand not all pups make the dog we would cherish forever But it’s like anything in life you get out of it what you put in it!

Last edited by Duane Kehres on 08-08-2020 at 05:21 PM

Old Post 08-08-2020 05:15 PM
Duane Kehres is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duane Kehres Click here to Send Duane Kehres a Private Message Click Here to Email Duane Kehres Find more posts by Duane Kehres Add Duane Kehres to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pups

I am not a pup person, I love pups but do not have any desire to raise and train a pup, way to much work for me. I can not thank the men who raise and train pups enough, without them we would soon be out of coon dogs. It's definitely a labor of love for most dog trainers, they definitely DO NOT make any money if they count their time at minimum wage they would not even make that . You put the time and work into a dog that does not make anything and there you have lost big time. I find it cheaper to buy a well started or trained dog and get something you want to hunt, than take a chance on a pup that may turn out good enough to suit you. THANK YOU to ALL the folks that love starting pups and or finishing pups into coon dogs, folks like ME depend on you all. Dave

Old Post 08-08-2020 08:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

When a lap mut sells for $500 or $600 and only cost #50 for registration fee , or a lab is worth $1000 or a cross bread labadoodle sells fo4 $1500 why shouldn't a pup out of parents that we have thousands of dollars in campaigning all over this country be worth as much??? pups have been worth $250 or $300 for 30 years!

Old Post 08-08-2020 08:40 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I dont agree with this at all I had pups directly out of trackman that some of them turned out good and a couple of them never treed a lick would run a track like something crazy but would not tree at all and I put alot of effort into those pups. Grant it that yes most of the high bred pups I've owned have turned out to tree a coon but all of them havent some have it and some dont. I'm not willing to risk that much money on a maybe is all I'm saying. I will say this it could have been the females fault on the Trackman pups she was a decent dog but not a world champion and I never really did find a dog that crossed very well on her for some reason.

Old Post 08-08-2020 08:49 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Comparing hounds prices to some of the bird dog pup prices isn’t a fair comparison. The higher priced bird dogs have to be certified against hip displasyia and eyes problems. That adds to cost most breeders offer a guarantee against those issues until there about 24-28 months old. They will replace pup if this occurs. The price of pups had been the same for 30+ years so have stud fees. In the end the pups are worth what people are willing to pay .

Old Post 08-08-2020 09:32 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

A pup is worth what your willing to pay for it . If I hunted with both the parents and liked them and hunted with some of their offspring and liked them I don’t care what their priced at if I want one bad enough I will find a way to come up with the money. Just because you won’t spend that much on a pup doesn’t mean someone else won’t. If your boss offered you two hundred more dollars a week Would you take it ,or would you turn it down because your neighbor doesn’t feel the job should pay that much.

Last edited by cole run on 08-08-2020 at 10:44 PM

Old Post 08-08-2020 10:42 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I couldn’t disagree more!!

Old Post 08-08-2020 10:49 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Blair
UKC Forum Member

Ive hunted most of my life and over the past 40yrs pup prices haven't changed that much. I think the good young started dog prices have increased more so than anything due to the fact not many is willing to put the time into a pup to make it a quality hound or the pup just don't have it in them. My wife got the itch to get Golden Retrievers some time back and we did. Its amazing the difference in being able to sale the pups compared to Coonhounds. If your Stud checks clear on all genetic tests you can just about name your price for your pups. AND....you don't even have to give breeding rights to the potential buyers. The major difference is when people are purchasing a Golden most times the whole family is involved in the purchase which makes paying the price a bit easier verses a coonhunter going out and paying that for a hound when MOST times the family is not as excited about the purchase. Make sense?

Old Post 08-08-2020 11:10 PM
Mark Blair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Blair Click here to Send Mark Blair a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Blair Find more posts by Mark Blair Add Mark Blair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

The crash of 2008 hurt pup prices for several years but they have rebounded in the last few years. About back to where they should be.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-08-2020 11:13 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

My gosh, never raised a cull?

You say “would go tree a coon”. Does that mean, off a feeder? Or just go get treed? Do you think 60% accurate is a coon dog?

Old Post 08-09-2020 01:28 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Laura Bell
UKC Forum Member

I have noticed an increase across the board in pup prices and stud fees. The biggest jump I've seen is in started dogs. Seems like most of those start at $1,000 - $1,500 for a dog that isn't really doing anything yet and is just of age to start or might have treed a cage coon.

Old Post 08-09-2020 01:48 AM
Laura Bell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Laura Bell Click here to Send Laura Bell a Private Message Click Here to Email Laura Bell Find more posts by Laura Bell Add Laura Bell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14

You say “would go tree a coon”. Does that mean, off a feeder? Or just go get treed? Do you think 60% accurate is a coon dog?

Hard to believe, ain't it

Old Post 08-09-2020 05:24 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14

I never said they all make coondogs. Matter of fact that’s a word I don’t use that often at all, can’t remember ever using that word on any dog I’ve ever been with or had. But, from my experience and my opinion if you put that pup in the hands of a man/woman with common sense and patience and come back in 3 yrs we should see a dog that we can pop a snap off of right here at the truck and it go tree you a coon. Accuracy in my opinion is bred in them, I can’t change that, mouth is bred in them, I can’t change that, but just about anything else a dog does can be modified through repetitive training. Some I know won’t agree and that’s ok. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT spend the quality time with a pup to ever see what it is. If it’s not doing it by 8-12 months old it’s a CULL to most, and might very well be to me as well but it’s my job as the trainer to get as much out of the pup as I possibly can as far as it’s ability. Just my opinion we all have one

Old Post 08-09-2020 07:59 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I never said they all make coondogs. Matter of fact that’s a word I don’t use that often at all, can’t remember ever using that word on any dog I’ve ever been with or had. But, from my experience and my opinion if you put that pup in the hands of a man/woman with common sense and patience and come back in 3 yrs we should see a dog that we can pop a snap off of right here at the truck and it go tree you a coon. Accuracy in my opinion is bred in them, I can’t change that, mouth is bred in them, I can’t change that, but just about anything else a dog does can be modified through repetitive training. Some I know won’t agree and that’s ok. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT spend the quality time with a pup to ever see what it is. If it’s not doing it by 8-12 months old it’s a CULL to most, and might very well be to me as well but it’s my job as the trainer to get as much out of the pup as I possibly can as far as it’s ability. Just my opinion we all have one

I don’t know it’s all that suits you my last litter was a two pup litter mine did not suit me he has since with his new owner got 2 cast wins in two hunts. The other lacks 2 wins being a dual grand they are 2 yrs old. Everybody has standreds. I raise my own but the most I ever paid for a pup is $300 and some worked but more didn’t but I might just be hard to please.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:08 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
howie
UKC Forum Member

Prices of coonhounds in general have skyrocketed in the last Couple years.

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:01 AM
howie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for howie Click here to Send howie a Private Message Click Here to Email howie Find more posts by howie Add howie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So what’s the guarantee on these $1000+ 8 week old yet to be determined coon treers?

My mother told me when I was a kid a fool and their money will soon part.

Hate to say it but I fell into the fool category a time or two but no way am I paying $1000 for any 8 week old pup.

Bout the only guarantee I know is for certain is that they all will eat, crap and just maybe bark at the moon!

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:16 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Here's something to ponder........
An 8 week old pup/ $50-2500
Started dog or pup/ $500-7500 (with SS left to hunt)
Same dogs aged out of SS/ $500-5000

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Those of you who have never raised and sold any coon hound pups may not know the ups and downs in doing that. 1st off, I don't raise a litter until I want something of my own to carry on. 2nd, If I was wanting to make a pile of money from it, I wouldn't do it at all. It's not all about making money for me. Don't get me wrong, I like money just as much as the next person but pricing your pups too high could just leave you with a bunch of 6 month old pups that you can't move at all. I'd just as soon get them out while they're young. It's a big head ache and most aren't cut out for it but in my opinion, it's worth it. It's easy to say they're getting $1,000 to $2,000 for yard crappers but until you've actually tried it, it may not be a cake walk.

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:52 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote