UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How often to shoot a coon
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

How often to shoot a coon

I'm sure this has been asked before and I know the generic answer is going to be "depends on the dog". But how often do you think that a dogs needs a coon shot out to him to operate correctly?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2020 03:58 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: How often to shoot a coon

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
I'm sure this has been asked before and I know the generic answer is going to be "depends on the dog". But how often do you think that a dogs needs a coon shot out to him to operate correctly?

I guess I am old and traditional I when hunting a dog alone put out 1 a night it makes my dog happy and me happy and still have lots of coons.

Tar

Old Post 07-31-2020 04:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Depends on the dog.

Old Post 07-31-2020 04:28 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If your dog trees possums how many possums do you have to shoot to keep your dog treeing possums?

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:18 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: How often to shoot a coon

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I guess I am old and traditional I when hunting a dog alone put out 1 a night it makes my dog happy and me happy and still have lots of coons.

Tar

That’s ok if you just hunt twice a year. If I killed one a night it wouldn’t take long til I couldn’t strike one.

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:38 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Good question. I used to think they were better when I gave them coons. I know now that was only in my head. I havent shot out a coon since January. I hunt 5-7 nights a week and they act better when I just pet them up and send them on. Wildwilly has some good thoughts on it

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:42 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: How often to shoot a coon

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
That’s ok if you just hunt twice a year. If I killed one a night it wouldn’t take long til I couldn’t strike one.

Maybe sombody is helping you with yours that’s why you don’t have so many. Plus those coons of yours are buggy broke the hear you coming a mile away lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

If I've left 10 coon in trees my dog treed, its because I didn't see them. I don't hunt near as hard as I used to. But back when I was hunting every night I was shooting out 3 or 4 coon a night from the same 5 or 6 different places (all public ground). Never had an issue of running out of coon. It all depends on the dog power at the end of your leash.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:54 PM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

kinda gotta agree with Tar. with the price of coon hides now we are seeing an abundance of coon. dang few folks around here hunt now and even fewer trappers.

a few years ago Lloyd Fox of the KS Fish and Game done a study on coon populations.. . had 135 coon with radio collars on them. made a few hunts with him as did Glenn Bliss and others. the study showed that hunters MIGHT tree 10% Trappers about the same.. when the population gets to a certain level( he had figures per square Mile-- I forget how many) anyway they almost always get distemper and die off.. he figured only 10% would survive that..

I know this about 6 miles from me a farmer was having coon get in his cow feed. I took 3 live traps down there and in just 21/2 weeks caught 31 of his coon..great training material . LOL!
I caught 10 more behind my chicken house..
with coon like we are seeing 1 per night will not hurt much.
I do not believe however that when a hound gets fully broke that they need many coon.
so again it would depend on the area you live in. where I have hunted in some states 1 per night will be a bit excessive.

Old Post 07-31-2020 05:55 PM
Driftwoodblue is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

The question was not how many we like to shoot out but how many dogs need shot out to them. Answer not very many

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:14 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Every one you tree in hide season.. One or two a month in summer for an old dog if you are hunting him hard.. one or two a week for a young dog.. My .02 worth anyways..

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:29 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have not shot any out to the young dog i am currently hunting since February. When season was open I was shooting plenty down to him. He is doing a better job than when I was shooting them down to him. It's not very often I seen a big improvement because I shot a coon out and if I did after a few coon it's either fixed or i need a new dog. Just my opinion

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:52 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Generally I kill one every couple weeks or so. I want to have a big coon population around the house and at times it gets scarce. Also it does depend on the dog. If I'm starting a pup I kill every one they tree. Anything more than a started pup get one from once a week to once a month. Its more about shooting the "right" coons vs shooting ALL coons.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:55 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

hunting instinct

If the dog loves to tree and get praise from owner , you never have to shoot a coon out to the dog. I have one , redbone with outlaw & moonlight breeding. She is 3 years old , showed her a live trapped coon 2 times. I released a coon for her to find one time. That is all it took to get her started. In three years of hunting I have never shot a coon out to her. Legally I can not carry a gun and that is why I have never shot a coon out to my hound. I only hunt her alone. If you have a hound that loves to run track and is not really fired up to sit at tree and bark until you get there , shooting out coon is the only way to train the hound to stay put until you get there.

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:56 PM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Def depends on the dog.Too many when young they can get 'tree happy'

Knocked a bunch out to my female when starting.She hated coons, and lived for the 'reward' even when she got old.Clover dog,and had more track than tree so knocking coons out helped.Very accurate too.
Once she was 'finished' one a night to keep her happy.

Now since coons are worth $0 .Even during hide/kill season,1 a night and I leave them unless jumbo.Not carrying them out for $2.00 - $4.00

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:12 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

2 or 3 a year and the dogs seem ok with that

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:26 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

This is another time where some people want to apply human traits to a dog. This past January I took a 7 month pup to the woods for the first time. She was afraid of the dark and wouldn't leave me. Then she smelled something that caused her to perk up. She trailed about 600 yards and treed a coon. Was she expecting me to shoot the coon? She didn't know what a rifle or a dead coon was. She is a gifted dog. She inherited some of the traits she was bred for. Why would she suddenly stop doing this? She's not thinking," If he don't shoot the coon , I ain't treeing another one. Her sole desire in life is to tree coons. Does a dog have to catch so many cars a week to continue chasing them? By human standards my pup seems to be smart or intelligent. I don't call her that. She's gifted. She won't point birds. She doesn't herd sheep. She does one thing and it's what she was bred to do.

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:27 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don’t need blue bell cookies and cream ice cream every night but I want it and I am going to eat it because I can.

Tar

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:31 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I don’t need blue bell cookies and cream ice cream every night but I want it and I am going to eat it because I can.

Tar

BUT, if you couldn't get it you would still press your nose on the freezer door and growl for it. LOL

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:41 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
BUT, if you couldn't get it you would still press your nose on the freezer door and growl for it. LOL

Never going to run out to find out lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-31-2020 07:50 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
This is another time where some people want to apply human traits to a dog. This past January I took a 7 month pup to the woods for the first time. She was afraid of the dark and wouldn't leave me. Then she smelled something that caused her to perk up. She trailed about 600 yards and treed a coon. Was she expecting me to shoot the coon? She didn't know what a rifle or a dead coon was. She is a gifted dog. She inherited some of the traits she was bred for. Why would she suddenly stop doing this? She's not thinking," If he don't shoot the coon , I ain't treeing another one. Her sole desire in life is to tree coons. Does a dog have to catch so many cars a week to continue chasing them? By human standards my pup seems to be smart or intelligent. I don't call her that. She's gifted. She won't point birds. She doesn't herd sheep. She does one thing and it's what she was bred to do.

I had hound that if you shot it out,he might go over look at it.Might pick at it some.Be done with that in a cpl seconds just go back to tree'n.
Easy dog to hunt/handle.Got offered decent money for him & sold him.Only to get hit yr. later.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 07-31-2020 11:12 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jon Walz
UKC Forum Member

Killing coon

I kill every one I tree in season. That being said I haven't rolled one out since February..... as of last weekend the junk I'm hunting is now Grand Nite Champion and has enough wins to compete in the Tournament of Champions.... if they have it. She also needs just a few more $$ to finish to Champion in the other registry. I really don't think she has missed chewing on em at all.

High Scoring Bluetick male at the 2014 World Hunt
King of hunt @ 2015 Bluetick Reunion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Queen of Coontree Music (GRNITECH PR' Nashoba Valley Piazon X GRNITECH CH PR' B&D"s Blue Queen)
2015 Wisconsin State Champion
2015 Badger State Champion
2016 Wisconsin State Champion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Twilite Mercy (GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Blue Creek Gauge x GRNITECH 'PR' B&D's Blue Queen)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Walz Coontree Rebecca (GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Joker x GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Queen)

GONE BUT WILL NEVER FORGET:
GRCH NITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Melody

Old Post 08-01-2020 01:27 AM
Jon Walz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jon Walz Click here to Send Jon Walz a Private Message Click Here to Email Jon Walz Find more posts by Jon Walz Add Jon Walz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Shooting coons

In my opinion killing coons is way more important to some hunters than it is to the dogs. I know some hunters who rarely kill a coon and I know some hunters that kill coons every night in season. I grew up in thin coon population and was concerned about saving breeding stock, so I am not an advocate of killing a lot of coons. Some of you guys grew up in thick coons and have no issue with killing a lot of coons. Fox hunters never kill the foxes, but that does not bother their dogs from running foxes, same with a lot of different sports, rabbit hunting, bird hunting, etc. The dogs perform regardless of whether you kill the game or not. I know my dogs still tree coons even when I do not shoot them out. I say let your game population decide how many you can kill without impacting the population. Hides are worthless and a dead coon is just that, it serves no good purpose and can never be treed again. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 02:51 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Spot on sir! I don’t think there is anything wrong with shooting a coon once in awhile as a reward if a person wants to. But if you have to feed them game to keep them interested they aren’t worth having for me. That goes for any hound that’s chasing whatever game you’re hunting.

I have hare hounds that are lucky if I shoot 2-3 a year for. They run and hunt the same wether or not I shoot game. I see no difference in how they run if it’s been 15 mins. since they had one or 15 mos. Can’t run a dead one again another day!

Old Post 08-01-2020 03:28 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I think it depends on what motivates the dog... if chewing on a coon is it's primary motivation... you better shoot some out.

Most of hopefully have dogs whose primary motivation and drive is to run a track and tree it. If that is the dog you are running... you almost never need to shoot any out to them.

Old Post 08-01-2020 04:09 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote