UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Old Semen and the modern day female
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Old Semen and the modern day female

Thought provoking and just wondering some opinions:

The quest to get that top bred coondog is always out front like the carrot on a stick. I have some old semen from several hounds and really like making certain crosses with it. I feel I have higher quality females, but tonight I was thinking.....using the semen from the dogs of past on modern day females may be some of the problems. We all have said the female holds more in regards to the outcome of the pup....well, there isn’t any more

Lockdown Lassies
Night Heat Dixie
Stylish Anna
Stylish Abby
Rock River Lady
Queen

And so on.....has the females of today changed? I had someone ask me about Arkansas River Crank tonight...LIPPER x Spring Creek Rock bred on the bottom and it got me to thinking.....Do we really have those good females today to even give that old semen a chance. It just seems that may be something we are overlooking. Obviously we can’t go back and get the old females, but maybe we can breed better today.

Just a thought provoking post

Thanks

Tim

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-09-2020 03:51 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Those famous females have granddaughters it will still work. But a true reproducing male does not have to have select females bred to him. Sackett junior had 4000 pups. On a 10 pup average I am sure those 400 females were not all top reproducers. But he left his mark with the best.

Tar

Old Post 07-09-2020 04:20 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

The hardest thing in breeding coon hounds is finding top notch females that are balanced, we started 4 years ago breeding for just that, and are now sitting in a pretty good place to have females to breed to our males that we are proud of.
You can collect the male studs to last for years, but the female is a different story, you have to breed, raise,train and keep those girls around to keep a line going.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 07-09-2020 04:21 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Conrad

Thank you for all the work you are doing for the Walker Breed. It takes a Breeder like yourself to keep the Walker Breed on top, I think to many Walker folks have become complacent in their breeding efforts. I love a TOP coon dog, but Walkers are my favorite breed. Dave

Old Post 07-09-2020 06:48 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Those famous females have granddaughters it will still work. But a true reproducing male does not have to have select females bred to him. Sackett junior had 4000 pups. On a 10 pup average I am sure those 400 females were not all top reproducers. But he left his mark with the best.

Tar

I get it....and like Conrad, I have collected a nice stable of foundation females to support what I’m doing.

BTW: SACKETT Jr #’s are.

2,072 produced
1,806 registered
410 GRNTCHs/NTCHs
19.79%

Pretty impressive to say the least.

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:33 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

ANOTHER REPRODUCER

GRNTCH SCH REDNECK MAFIA

......."For a dog with only 139 pups he has as of today (01/23/2020) 41 titled offspring of NITECH, GRNITECH and a NGRNCH for a production of titled offspring of 29.496% when we quit breeding him he was UKC's #1 reproducer on the current list with the highest of any breed at just over 20% he also produced multiple State Champions, $ State leaders and $ State Champions, and placers in just about every major hunt in various kennel clubs. His mark on the Walker breed as a backyard coondog that was never advertised will continue on through his offspring and theirs.".......

402-209-5053

Old Post 07-10-2020 04:45 AM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
I get it....and like Conrad, I have collected a nice stable of foundation females to support what I’m doing.

BTW: SACKETT Jr #’s are.

2,072 produced
1,806 registered
410 GRNTCHs/NTCHs
19.79%

Pretty impressive to say the least.

Ooooooops I guess I was thinking rat attack he is number one on the list now.

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2020 11:41 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Rat Attack sure "left his mark on the breed".

Old Post 07-10-2020 12:00 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Rat Attack sure "left his mark on the breed".

Tree dogs for beginners don’t even have to hunt them in the winter to win.

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2020 12:05 PM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

If I’m building a racing coonhound that competes on the big track, I’ll probably go with this formula

1.Nailor for the body and classy looks
2. Lipper for the loud mouth
3. Gonna put a Harry engine under the hood to give’ em another gear and go hard
4. Rat Attack to put the brakes on them to make them stop and look up

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:30 PM
Fireballs
Banned

Tim you must have never hunted with Nailor he would defiantly take you hunting and could flat run a deer so no harry needed

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:42 PM
Fireballs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireballs Click here to Send Fireballs a Private Message Click Here to Email Fireballs Find more posts by Fireballs Add Fireballs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fireballs
Tim you must have never hunted with Nailor he would defiantly take you hunting and could flat run a deer so no harry needed

LoL. I am definitely a Nailor fan through and through. Actually owned a semen male and now a grandson. Being so close to Mr T Ball, I have to have a shot of Harry in there. Lol.

Old Post 07-10-2020 05:03 PM
GES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
If I’m building a racing coonhound that competes on the big track, I’ll probably go with this formula

1.Nailor for the body and classy looks
2. Lipper for the loud mouth
3. Gonna put a Harry engine under the hood to give’ em another gear and go hard
4. Rat Attack to put the brakes on them to make them stop and look up

Better hire a professional driver....and make sure they have on a fire suit when you hit the wall.....when you hit, not IF. Drive it like you stole it!

Best of luck,
GES

Old Post 07-10-2020 05:04 PM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GES
Better hire a professional driver....and make sure they have on a fire suit when you hit the wall.....when you hit, not IF. Drive it like you stole it!

Best of luck,
GES

GES,

You’re right. Now that I’m older and all broke up....I enjoy the owner/breeder side and watching the young drivers run the race. I’m currently linked up with the #3 PKC Youth handler in the Nation; #1 in Texas. It is a blast. Just put them behind a fast car and watch’em go.

Old Post 07-10-2020 07:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Green

I love what you are doing with your youth hunter. Getting our youth involved is the future of our sport, watching her progress and seeing her win hunts has to be just as much fun as doing it yourself. You are helping to create memories that will last for her lifetime, you can not put a price on that. Good luck. Dave

Old Post 07-10-2020 07:53 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Tim, Good job with the youth 👍🏼
And good luck on the breeding endeavor, that will be interesting.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 07-10-2020 08:26 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote