UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > spring creek rock info
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CreekBottomHunt
UKC Forum Member

spring creek rock info

im thinking of geting a female pup with this blood. was rock a pretty good dog and what would you say his faults were? thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-08-2011 01:39 PM
CreekBottomHunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CreekBottomHunt Click here to Send CreekBottomHunt a Private Message Click Here to Email CreekBottomHunt Find more posts by CreekBottomHunt Add CreekBottomHunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

i will say this, if you can remember a dogs name after 30 + yrs he must have been a good one. Far as faults and strengths that would be hard to tell. I never hunted with him. you will be hard pressed to find someone who really hunted him enough to know how to truly answer your question. must of been a good hound........people still talk about him. i had a few dogs in the early 90s that went back to him.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 06-08-2011 02:19 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

He threw cold nosed dogs that new how to use it.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 06-08-2011 02:53 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cbcoonskinner
UKC Forum Member

A lot of his pups when crossed on a Finley River Bitches sold for $300 a pup back in the early Eighties.I have seen ole Rock mount more than one female, Big beatiful dog he was.

Home of:
Red Eagle Chief

Last edited by cbcoonskinner on 06-08-2011 at 03:17 PM

Old Post 06-08-2011 03:13 PM
cbcoonskinner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cbcoonskinner Click here to Send cbcoonskinner a Private Message Click Here to Email cbcoonskinner Visit cbcoonskinner's homepage! Find more posts by cbcoonskinner Add cbcoonskinner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heckler
UKC Forum Member

There was a good article I had read about Duane Clark and Dave Dean and their competition hunts against each other at Autumn Oaks. It was a good read.

I have hunted with a couple dogs that went back to Spring Cr Rock and it was the preferred walker line for the hunters I have known.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/...onHistoryAO1973

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/...onHistoryAO1974

Old Post 06-08-2011 03:58 PM
heckler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heckler Click here to Send heckler a Private Message Find more posts by heckler Add heckler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CreekBottomHunt
UKC Forum Member

ima check out the parents of these pups and prolly get a female. my dad used this blood in the 80s

Old Post 06-08-2011 04:35 PM
CreekBottomHunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CreekBottomHunt Click here to Send CreekBottomHunt a Private Message Click Here to Email CreekBottomHunt Find more posts by CreekBottomHunt Add CreekBottomHunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

One of my all time favorite stud dogs

along with Spring Creek Radar his son. I would breed everything I have to either of them as long as they lived.I bred to Radar twice. Was Set to breed to Rock but he had been hit by a car in the yard by someone backing up or something and was in rehab and couldnt stand to breed and Mr Clark sent me to Billy Stinson and Radar. Im still hunting dogs from that cross. Thats what I thought of them. They both produced hard hunting hard tree dogs that could run a track. and threw outstanding looking hounds with big mouths.

You cant go wrong with it.

Those two hounds are in the Walker hall of fame. enuff said.

Grand Champion Stevenson's "Johnny Jet,"

Palms 18:39........You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet!
Two questions sum up life....
Why am I here ? And Where am I headed.

Old Post 06-10-2011 02:54 AM
cripple creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cripple creek Click here to Send cripple creek a Private Message Click Here to Email cripple creek Find more posts by cripple creek Add cripple creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

As a young man i hunted with Rock 1 time but to young to tell what i thought cause i didn't know the difference between a lab and poodle at that age matter of fact i think i got stuck going with dad cause mom had to work that weekend and i was like 5 or 6. But what i can tell you is that every walker we had here was either directly out of rock or one of his sons when my dad and uncle hunted hard. Davis's Sping creek Robbie and my dad hunted one something bawlin Barnery was his name that were by far my favorites that were directly out of old rock. The dogs were won in a card game. But like Hobo said they were cold nosed track driving dogs and when they came treed they were there for the night. We had several out this line and stayed with it for majority of our years. All the offspring seemed to have this trait and they could move a track pretty quick in my years of hunting them i never saw one stand on his head tracking and were very accurate. I remember my uncle telling me one time when i got on my young dog for treeing a squirell he said that he was told old rock supposely treed alot (like in the hundreds) squirells buy time he was 6 months old. Don't know if there's any truth to that but that's what i was told. I love to find another one with old rock close up.

NT CH Bullets Iowa River Squirt
Five star state hunt championship 2nd place
Five star qualifier 1st place win.
Bbcha sectional high scoring male
World hunt qualified 2009
9th place open bluetick reunion
Davis's Iowa River Striker ( Squirt X J and N's Blue Night Sky)

BnJs Sugar Babe.
Hitting the comp hunts 2015

"Whatever works for you"

Last edited by jason2579 on 06-10-2011 at 04:06 AM

Old Post 06-10-2011 04:02 AM
jason2579 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason2579 Click here to Send jason2579 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason2579 Find more posts by jason2579 Add jason2579 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elkrauskopf
UKC Forum Member

Like Cripple Creek my best dogs go back to Rock. They are Cold nosed and take the first track they come to and finish it.

Gracie is heavy Rock bred and you can hunt Squirrel by day and coon by night.

I was loned a male out of E-Lim-I-Nator a few years ago to try and get some pups. He was twelve then and I hunted him the whole year I had him. Cold nosed and stubborn but a coondog and tree dog. I wish we could have got pups. The rock grandpups are gone Im sure. I am going to have some great grandpups next year but I wish that Rock semen wasnt $12500 a straw.

I think it was '74 when Rock and Hammer III went down to the wire for National Grandnite ch. Rock won it two years in a row but Hammer III got him the third year.

Let Rock live on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 06-16-2011 03:02 AM
elkrauskopf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elkrauskopf Click here to Send elkrauskopf a Private Message Click Here to Email elkrauskopf Find more posts by elkrauskopf Add elkrauskopf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

It seems I had one out of Spring Creek Rambo. Was he out of Rock?

Old Post 06-16-2011 03:57 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hmbdog1
UKC Forum Member

Spring Creek Rock

30 yrs ago bred a Spring Creek Rock daughter to my Finley River male.I then later got a female off one off those pups and a Nt Ch female out of Dohoney's Cadillac. She became one of the best I've ever owned .she ran cold tracks others couldn't smell,100% accurate and never pulled one tree in her life.The coon would be directly above where she had her butt planted and it was always there period.I can truthfully say I'll have not owned one nor probally ever will again that will be 100% accurate and never pull one tree sometime in their life span.Praise God that I did once in my life.

Old Post 06-17-2011 04:00 PM
hmbdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hmbdog1 Click here to Send hmbdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email hmbdog1 Find more posts by hmbdog1 Add hmbdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brandonf
UKC Forum Member

Re: spring creek rock info

quote:
Originally posted by CreekBottomHunt
im thinking of geting a female pup with this blood. was rock a pretty good dog and what would you say his faults were? thanks

http://www.finleyriverchief.com/SPR..._ROCK_SEMEN.php
just go here
whoever has that frozen semen is one lucky guy!!!
My friend hunted with rock said the most balanced coon dog had ever seen.

Old Post 06-17-2011 04:18 PM
brandonf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brandonf Click here to Send brandonf a Private Message Click Here to Email brandonf Find more posts by brandonf Add brandonf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

Lord knows if i had 12500 to throw away i'd buy a nice female to have some Rock semen past on to her. I do miss them kind dogs.

BnJs Sugar Babe.

"Whatever works for you"

Old Post 06-17-2011 09:24 PM
jason2579 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason2579 Click here to Send jason2579 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason2579 Find more posts by jason2579 Add jason2579 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brandonf
UKC Forum Member

i know exactly where i would use it... I would put it on my old house bred gyp... Wouldnt breed to any of this new stuff... Well maybe Jane or nowhere if it wouldnt cost an arm and leg...

Old Post 06-17-2011 10:21 PM
brandonf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brandonf Click here to Send brandonf a Private Message Click Here to Email brandonf Find more posts by brandonf Add brandonf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

who has it and how did yall find out

how much it was????

Palms 18:39........You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet!

Old Post 06-17-2011 10:45 PM
cripple creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cripple creek Click here to Send cripple creek a Private Message Click Here to Email cripple creek Find more posts by cripple creek Add cripple creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brandonf
UKC Forum Member

i doubt they would sale it... I know i wouldnt... Not sure who has it be may be the same guy who has the yadkin tar rattler semen.

Old Post 06-17-2011 10:59 PM
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

not sure what he or they are waiting

on. I would break that stuff out now!!!! While folks are still paying $1,000's of dollars for weaning pups.

I would love to make payments on a Rock-cicle pup!!!!

Old Post 06-18-2011 05:25 AM
elkrauskopf
UKC Forum Member

It's been on here for years $12500 a straw. If Steven Kenny dosnt use it on Jane im loosing a $100 bet. I have always wondered if he had semen out of Dual Gr Snoddy's Spring Creek Dee-Jay that he ran at stud for a while. Heavy Rock in 3 to 5 generations.

Old Post 06-18-2011 06:34 AM
elkrauskopf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elkrauskopf Click here to Send elkrauskopf a Private Message Click Here to Email elkrauskopf Find more posts by elkrauskopf Add elkrauskopf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

I believe it takes 4 straws to do a single breeding, at 12,500. a straw that would be an expensive venture!

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 06-18-2011 12:05 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timjackson
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Van Dusen
I believe it takes 4 straws to do a single breeding, at 12,500. a straw that would be an expensive venture!

My Dad talked to Mr. Kenny years ago at Walker Days. Mr. Kenny
said old Rock was put up in pellets. He said one unit would breed a female.

My Dad is a huge fan of Spring Creek Rock. He'd love to see that old blood back again. My Dad says ol Spring Creek Rock is a grandson of Finley River Chief. That runs chills up my Dad's spine.

Does anyone know how old ol Rock is?

Old Post 06-19-2011 12:19 AM
timjackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timjackson Click here to Send timjackson a Private Message Click Here to Email timjackson Find more posts by timjackson Add timjackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

Spring Creek has been dead for 30 plus years or more. The last i knew someone had semen on him in indiana not sure but i remember reading a add a few years back. Sping Creek CB was no slouch himself i've been told. I really like this line of walkers. I got pup out of elminator once was the only one that i had that was a let down to me but sold him to a guy in missouri and they guy ended up finishing him out and kept till his death. I just didn't like his mouth and he wasn't consistent enough. Seemed i got a different dog every other night.

BnJs Sugar Babe.

"Whatever works for you"

Old Post 06-19-2011 02:18 AM
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

you know this frozen semen

from 20 to 30 years ago..... we don't know if that affects the genetic make up of what is produced. Eliminator was one of the first examples of that that we had. Rock and sons of Rock reproduced high, high percentage of dogs that would tree coons and do it right and reproduce generations later, but Eliminator just doesnt show up enough. There is only a hand full of dogs even show him in their pedigree.
For me The jury is still out if that doesnt do something genetically. I know when Rock was still alive, you could breed him to a poodle and it would run and tree.

There are good hounds being produced from frozen semen that is a few years old, but im just not sold 100% that it doesn't produce what it did as live sperm. Im not seeing sons and grandsons reproducng greatly out of these semen dogs.

Just my opinion. Genetically in cattle and horses they reproduce animales that look good and all that, but they aren't used fo passing on genetic ability traits like our hounds.
Im going to watch it for a few more years and see if my theory has anything behind it.

Old Post 06-19-2011 02:57 AM
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

Know the one thing i hear alot about in A.I. is where there break out this semen and only get 2 or 3 pups as well that would suck spending that kinda cash and only ended up with two pups or so.

BnJs Sugar Babe.

"Whatever works for you"

Old Post 06-19-2011 04:42 AM
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

My line here at the house are heavy on the Rock breeding. They are track driving fools that have plenty of brains to go with it. Very accurate.

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 06-19-2011 02:43 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CARL GUDGEON
UKC Forum Member

rock

I had a Finley River female that i bred to a male out of Spring Creek Rock that were very early starter's hard tree dog's and very gritty fast track dogs. If they caught one they could kill it on the ground. But were never compation hunted. And than i let that blood slip away.

NT CH GR F CH CH'PR' RED FEVER CHIEF -

'PR' GUDGEON'S TAKE A CHANCE - POINTS TOWARDS CH and WCH

Nt Ch GR CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S CLYDE "JUNIOR" AND POINTS TOWARD FT CH

'PR' GUDGEON'S LIVING THE DREAM (Dreamer) 2 1st place wins
PR GUDGEON'S MAGGIE
CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S WILD WILLY
PR GUDGEON'S Fog Horn
PR GUDGEON'S JACK
'PR'GUDGEON'S SING ALONG DANCE

Old Post 06-19-2011 10:35 PM
CARL GUDGEON is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CARL GUDGEON Click here to Send CARL GUDGEON a Private Message Click Here to Email CARL GUDGEON Find more posts by CARL GUDGEON Add CARL GUDGEON to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote