UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Top Coon Dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Top Coon Dog

When was the first time you ever hunted with a Top Coon Dog, one that really opened your eyes? I remember my first time, I was in my early twenties and had a very good coon dog ( I thought ) when I got a call from a man I knew wanting me to go coon hunting with him. I agreed, but left my dog at home as I really wanted to see how good his dog was. Man, I was sure glad that I left my dog at home as his dog put on a coon treeing clinic, one like I had never seen before in my part of the country in thin coons. I had to work the next day, but hunted with him all night just amazed at his dogs performance. I later bought his dog and always used him as a measuring stick for every dog I hunted with. It was like watching Michael Jordan play with high school kids comparing his dog to every thing I had ever seen or hunted with before. Talking about the light switch turning on, it sure turned on that night with me. I have hunted over 60 years and only seen or hunted with 3 dogs including him that were truly Top Coon Dogs. I have owned a bunch of decent dogs, a few pretty nice dogs, but only 3 Top Coon Dogs. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-04-2024 05:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Dave, in your opinion, what are the traits that separates the “Top Coon Dog” from the others?

Old Post 05-04-2024 02:54 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Dave, in your opinion, what are the traits that separates the “Top Coon Dog” from the others?

Not trying to hijack the thread but adding to the “The Top Dog” thread…

Many times the hardest things to figure out turn out to be very simple once identified…

It took my many years to develop my theory but I do believe I am right…while the above average dog needs to have an above average brain and a fairly cold nose, but what separates the top dog from all others is brain power…this dog must possess a colder nose as well…of course all other hunting traits are very important to have but I pick these two traits as a must have…

Brain Power…I choose it as tops because this was born with it and that is what makes this dog special…and I choose it as tops because he/she uses the wind currents… this dog knows how and where to find game…knows how to find the hot end of the tracks quickly and this helps when game is scarce…also what keeps this dog at the top is the colder nose…the colder nose gives this dog the advantage in picking up coon in the wind currents or off of colder tracks sooner than later…these traits keeps the dog at the top…at least that is how I see it…

Old Post 05-04-2024 05:02 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Top dogs

The good ones just know how to tree raccoons they can tree them up or down they are one way track dogs etc. and most are born with natural talent .The best bobcat dog I've seen was a mt cur that could skip a feeder track out on dry ground other dogs couldn't tree he was just better it's the same with hounds and yes brains has something to do with it but not everything some of the smartest yard dog hounds are common in the woods go figure

Old Post 05-04-2024 06:32 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Top dogs

The good ones just know how to tree raccoons they can tree them up or down they are one way track dogs etc. and most are born with natural talent .The best bobcat dog I've seen was a mt cur that could skip a feeder track out on dry ground other dogs couldn't tree he was just better it's the same with hounds and yes brains has something to do with it but not everything some of the smartest yard dog hounds are common in the woods go figure

Old Post 05-04-2024 06:32 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

From my experience the Top Coon Dogs I have seen had a ton of brains. They had the nose to go with the brain and they had the drive to use both brain and nose. It takes all of these traits to excel. Some dogs have brains but lack the nose or drive to excel. The reason why top dogs are so rare is getting all of these traits in the same package. Next it takes a handler smart enough to see these things in a dog and careful enough not to hinder them in the training phase. The top dogs just need hunting they will do the rest. They seldom make the same mistake twice. The dog I mentioned in this thread could run and tree coons that other dogs could not even smell, he was deadly accurate. Hunting in thick or thin coons he could put on a show. Dave

Old Post 05-04-2024 11:39 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Dave, no doubt about it…an inexperienced dog handler could very easily ruin one of these dogs…

Old Post 05-05-2024 01:28 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Dave, no doubt about it…an inexperienced dog handler could very easily ruin one of these dogs…

Rueben, you are exactly right. I suspect that in itself is the reason why a Top dog is not very common in that it takes both a dog with these qualities and a handle that nurtures these qualities. A bad handler can take the drive or desire out of a dog if not handled properly. Dave

Old Post 05-05-2024 02:30 AM