UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Disappointed in the New Generation.
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Sullivan
Bruce,I owned Buster and had several real tree dogs out of him.The Penny dog crossed with Buster had some 130 to 140 bark tree dogs.They also treedcoons.I used to mess with walking and racking horses.If you gave them too much protein you were in for a lot of trouble,back off the protein and settle back down.Dogs used to eat low protein or tablet scraps.
I agree with this, I think too much protein can devastate a dog in a lot of ways. lots of folks liken protein to put the go power in their dogs. I grew up around running dogs, most of them at the time, were hunted five times a week on corn bread and cracklings.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2020 01:48 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon Keys
UKC Forum Member

Too Many Recessive Traits ?

Is it possible that we have bred too many recessive traits into today’s hounds? Too much tree, too much motor, too much independence......etc. Its just not natural to bark intensely for an hour or more at anything, it’s not natural to hunt so fast and hard that you over exert yourself, it’s not natural to be so focused on treeing a coon that you ignore everything else ( other dogs, people, hiway, etc) The breeding practices have led to a dog with traits that are good in the woods and a problem at home.
-
Combine breeding practices above with better vaccination, worming, feeding, and kenneling practices......then consider being a souped up race horse that doesn’t get out of the stall to exercise. Dogs used to run loose or be chained up. Both would remove more energy than a 5’ x 10’ kennel. I see a lot of these modern “race horses” get left in the kennel and not handled enough to develop any manners or handle.
-
Today’s culls are crackheads where the culls of the past we’re just duds.

Old Post 02-08-2020 01:49 PM
Leon Keys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leon Keys Click here to Send Leon Keys a Private Message Click Here to Email Leon Keys Find more posts by Leon Keys Add Leon Keys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Come on guys tell me what’s happening to the new generation? I would like to hear some logical thinking 🤔 The old was not perfect but the new has reached a different level of extemeness, if we don’t start recognizing what’s happening we are killing a wonderful breed of dogs.
And it’s been done numerous times before.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-08-2020 01:49 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Come on guys tell me what’s happening to the new generation? I would like to hear some logical thinking 🤔 The old was not perfect but the new has reached a different level of extemeness, if we don’t start recognizing what’s happening we are killing a wonderful breed of dogs.
And it’s been done numerous times before.

Conrad babe Ruth was a consistent home run hitter ! The dogs we have today when they hit a home run it’s a grand slam buuuuuuut but they may have swung at nothing but air the 100 times before.

Times have changed our hounds back in the day yes they won hunts with high attendance with high scores why ? Because when hide season came around they bought Christmas and other needs with hide money they were bred and trained to never miss any coon they were not bred to fit loopholes in rules to win money because there were no money hunts. They were taught to handle because we had no tracking systems. They didn’t babble because it served no purpose and would get you scratched in a hunt. You had plus points or you did not win. 3 hr hunts and 300 minus try that one out so time lol.

In a whole dogs have been bred to fit loopholes in rules they want first strike crazy enough to blow deep in the country barking every step and get treed on some kind of hot coon leash locking the cast and winning on strike points.

Just my two cents.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 02:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, are we on the verge of breeding too much go power into our dogs? When you add nitrous to a race car it will go faster up to a point. But what happens if you add too much nitrous? And how do you know how much is too much?
Most race car builders today have gone to turbos to add horsepower. I wonder why that is? Is it time to try to balance some of that speed with brains or sense? How much speed is too much speed? At what point will a dog " blow up"?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-08-2020 at 02:30 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 02:28 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, are we on the verge of breeding too much go power into our dogs? When you add nitrous to a race car it will go faster up to a point. But what happens if you add too much nitrous? And how do you know how much is too much?
Most race car builders today have gone to turbos to add horsepower. I wonder why that is? Is it time to try to balance some of that speed with brains or sense? How much speed is too much speed? At what point will a dog " blow up"?

They are not consistent ! You hear about their big wins ! But you never hear about their many big losses before that big win. But it’s a tax write off it’s all good lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 02:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My dog got beat Thursday night. Do you think that I should have posted that? One of those high powered speed demons raced up a trail 900 yds and slammed a hot coon while she peeled off into the woods and tried to work a bad track 300 yds in front of us.

Old Post 02-08-2020 03:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
My dog got beat Thursday night. Do you think that I should have posted that? One of those high powered speed demons raced up a trail 900 yds and slammed a hot coon while she peeled off into the woods and tried to work a bad track 300 yds in front of us.

Life is full of choices brouther your old enough to know either you go get you one of those speed demons or you get used to getting beat. Corey is learning how to get beat with dignity as of late with my dog lol. I told him you learn the rules quicker with a sorry dog lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 03:14 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You can go out and buy a speed demon or you can try to breed some more speed into your line without losing what you have. It is a balancing act and takes some time.
But I hunt Redbones so I am used to getting beat. It doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is if "I" think that my dog did a poor job.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-08-2020 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 03:34 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
You can go out and buy a speed demon or you can try to breed some more speed into your line without losing what you have. It is a balancing act and takes some time.

In coreys defense the one hour hunts are not for beginners and he is getting beat by some really good dogs. Richard I would rather have the dog that finished its track that it struck at 300 yards. You know how I feel about that first strike defining who wins the hunt.

I am making one more cross that will be it for me no matter how it turns out.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 03:42 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I had been coon hunting since I was a kid in school. Coon hunted every week year around as a kid. Just "pleasure hunted". I then got into beagles for a long time and coon hunted a little, but not much. I got out of hounds all together for a good spell as my boys were growing up and took up most of my time.

All that to say I had a large break before getting back into coon hounds a couple years. One thing that struck me as different was how people used distance as a bragging point. "He will throw rocks in your face and be a mile away", or, "Dog will be 900 plus yards when he strikes.'"

I never remember people talking about % of slick trees. I don't think in the "old days" people would have tolerated even 30% slicks... that would have been a cull.

Being "alone" was emphasized a lot more than I remember years ago also. Now in all fairness I was never into competition hunting.. and the internet was not used back when I was a kid. But still the descriptions of a quality hound seemed to really have changed.

And as been said... hounds I had as a kid were very easy to keep in the yard. One's I have now... pretty high strung and tough on the neighbor relationships!

Last edited by houndsound on 02-08-2020 at 04:50 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 04:48 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Nobody wants to address the elephant in the room. Competition hunting. If we were all strictly pleasure hunters how many of these problems would exist? First strike 100 points.(Babbling)Lightning fast tree dogs 125 points.( Slick trees). Get away from the other dogs.(All of the points) Possum, go home. Slick tree. Usually circle. Sometimes 100-. I realize that at the top of this game there are dogs that are legitimate. Hunt hard, tree quick and have coons, but they're few and far between.

Old Post 02-08-2020 05:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Competition hunting is what exploded the price of a decent dog to where a poor man couldn't afford to compete anymore

Old Post 02-08-2020 06:01 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

Unfortunately, I think you have hit on the problem and the elephant in the room is most definitely COMPETITION HUNTING. What should have been a way to improve our coon dogs is the very thing that is destroying what used to be fun. I used to rabbit hunt with beagles and the beagle field trials was destroying the quality of the hunting beagles. Judging a beagle by how close to the track it ran without regard to speed turned out beagles that were worthless as gun dogs. Fortunately, the gun dog hunters started their own field trails with different rules and standards. Coon hound competition hunts have just about destroyed the cold nosed, accurate, fill the barn with hide dogs. Gone are the days when the real honest coon dogs win the majority of the casts, replaced by auto striking, hot nosed ambush style dogs going a mile to tree a coon. Try filling the freezer or barn with hides hunting these dogs in December and January. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2020 06:15 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

Like it or hate it without competition hunting there's very few younger hunters interested also without competition we have little or nothing left because hide hunting basically is gone and has been as a matter of fact without major events to look forward too and hunt at there's very little interest anymore

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:08 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Donald Bergeron

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Unfortunately, I think you have hit on the problem and the elephant in the room is most definitely COMPETITION HUNTING. What should have been a way to improve our coon dogs is the very thing that is destroying what used to be fun. I used to rabbit hunt with beagles and the beagle field trials was destroying the quality of the hunting beagles. Judging a beagle by how close to the track it ran without regard to speed turned out beagles that were worthless as gun dogs. Fortunately, the gun dog hunters started their own field trails with different rules and standards. Coon hound competition hunts have just about destroyed the cold nosed, accurate, fill the barn with hide dogs. Gone are the days when the real honest coon dogs win the majority of the casts, replaced by auto striking, hot nosed ambush style dogs going a mile to tree a coon. Try filling the freezer or barn with hides hunting these dogs in December and January. Dave

Amen to that...

It would be better to judge a dog against a standard created by top hunters that know what a real coon dog is...after that the dog is eligible to compete...the price of a good hound would come down...I believe that’s how supply and demand works...🤔

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:11 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Like it or hate it without competition hunting there's very few younger hunters interested also without competition we have little or nothing left because hide hunting basically is gone and has been as a matter of fact without major events to look forward too and hunt at there's very little interest anymore

We hunted 14 early and 7 late the other night 1 hour mini slams and 50% of the hunters were older guys that hadn’t hunted in a hunt in years I had to get somthing they liked. And they all treed coons , visited , and ate. Those pain in the but dogs are more common at major hunts these guys are hunting dogs that tree the crap out of coons in this rough terrain. It’s 16 hrs to major hunts from here and most just can’t afford it.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:17 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

BINGO we have a winner just like yadkin tar just stated he had a Competition coon hunt and had good food and fellowship and treed coon and had some laughs with fellow hunters. It took a competition hunt to achieve this folks he just proved my point .

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:26 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Maybe we need a new format type of competition hunts. Hunts that reward certain things and scratch for certain things. Rethink what we are trying to accomplish with our hunts. Make winning a real test and being a Champion mean something you are proud of. Elimination style hunts, cast winners advance and hunt off for a true winner. Lots to think about, it can be done. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:32 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by wart
BINGO we have a winner just like yadkin tar just stated he had a Competition coon hunt and had good food and fellowship and treed coon and had some laughs with fellow hunters. It took a competition hunt to achieve this folks he just proved my point .

Every area is different ukc gave us a ton of options talk to your hunters find what they like several said they wouldn’t hunt in anything else that was coming from guys that never hunted for money before and seen were with a good dog they could win $50,000.

They buzzen like bees lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:32 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Could a format be made where it was expected that more often, dogs would be packed up working together? In the beagle world there are formats for every style of running beagle.

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:35 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound

The format could be as desired, rewarding dogs for doing something special like treeing a coon the other dogs don't even know exists called bonus points, slick trees scored minus at twice the tree value, things like this could reward the honest dogs and separate the coon dogs from the junk. These are ideas that could bring back the barn hide dogs that seems to have disappeared. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:44 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

We're kinda veering away from the original topic. It started on why dogs are the way they are today. Now people have gone to defending competition hunting. I'm going to one today. Like meeting with other hunters and bragging about my latest pups accomplishments and hearing about theirs. Buuuut, you can't deny that dogs are the way they are because of competition hunting. I could change one rule and change the way modern dogs operate. Scratch dogs for obvious slick trees.

Old Post 02-08-2020 07:53 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
We're kinda veering away from the original topic. It started on why dogs are the way they are today. Now people have gone to defending competition hunting. I'm going to one today. Like meeting with other hunters and bragging about my latest pups accomplishments and hearing about theirs. Buuuut, you can't deny that dogs are the way they are because of competition hunting. I could change one rule and change the way modern dogs operate. Scratch dogs for obvious slick trees.

Really we didn’t when you got crazy hyped up dogs ( some on performence enhancing drugs ) it’s just like back in the day they win a major hunt and everybody breeds to them.

In breeding the crackhead produces crack babys.

Tar

Old Post 02-08-2020 08:00 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

It's a catch 22 deal, the dogs of today are in fact a product of the competition hunts, like it or not. I like the concept of scratching a dog for slick trees, it would definitely change the game. Accuracy should be the foremost measuring stick of a coon dog. Dave

Old Post 02-08-2020 09:05 PM