UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Disappointed in the New Generation.
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Matt I apologize but I don't think you understood. Or I did not make myself clear enough. I am not talking about the younger generation of hunters. I have nothing but the upmost respect for them and spend a lot of money each year promoting what they do in Youth Programs.

I am taking about the younger generation of hounds that are being produced. Not any particular generation of hunters young or old that are producing them.

Here is the thing and it is a Blessing but perhaps a curse. When someone lives a long time and is involved with something a long time. They are Blessed to see the changes to a sport over the years. Dog breeding is about genetics. But there is also an environmental affect on genetics. Most people in the hound world for 20 years never see the changes. They just roll with what is out there and make the best of it. You see 50 year changes in hound behavior and it makes you scratch you head and wonder where some of the actions of our dogs today creeped into the breeding program.

I am not saying there are not quality dogs out there. There are and the quality of today is better that the average quality of the past. Just with the quality comes a lot of actions that borders on for lack of better term. Being nuts.

Maybe the same with our Children. Look at the kids today that go to school on medication so they can sit still an be quiet so the Teacher can teach. Has our kids and dogs both had there genetics migrate to a point of being over Hyper. Or has the condition always been there and 50 years ago it was medicated with a switch on both the dog and kids. In todays world the switch has become a ancient and cruel object. But it use to work.

I was thinking of my post and yours and thought I may have miss understood. I logged in and reread your original post and noticed that I did. Then I seen your response and want to apologize. I should of read your original post better.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2020 10:40 AM
Matt Souders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Souders Click here to Send Matt Souders a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Souders Find more posts by Matt Souders Add Matt Souders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Matt all is good. Appreciate you reading and posting on this forum. We all can learn form one another.

Old Post 02-07-2020 12:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I have bought 3 or 4 females in the last year that I thought would be good crosses on my studs and have had to send them back or give them away after 2 weeks of trying break them from bad habits.
You boys that make fun of the Old blood just don’t have any! Doubt I will go outside our lines again, my sanity is worth something😊

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-07-2020 12:22 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

New Generation

I have been noticing these Scatter Brained, Barking & Chewing Idiots for tge last 10 years.......!!!
I have tried to raise Pups from different Studs.....NEVER AGAIN....!!!

Its not only in the Hounds, its other Dogs as well. I Paid $500 for a Lab Pup for my Daughter......He Chewed 2 Dog Houses up, Chewed thru Chain Link, Chewed thru 4x4 Posts in his Kennel.
Got rid of him and No More Pups for me.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-07-2020 01:14 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Can’t count the breeders that say the pups I sell at 8 weeks old don’t do that. Hmmmmmm when you see the dogs that are known to throw those traits doubled and tripled up in a 3 generation pedigree you know they know it and are just in it for the money.

Then when you see the top competitors in the nation you got to to realize they got the money to not buy the idiots the only buy the best.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 01:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, Mr Sullivan might be on to something. He is right about horses and protein. I remember that we were careful not to feed our western pleasure horses corn because it had too much protein in it. We fed them oats. Corn gave them too much energy and we wanted them laid back. Human athletes eat high protein diets to give themselves extra energy and it really wires them up. Maybe that is why Pro Atheletes tend to not have very good manners.
Someone should take a couple of those wired up pups with bad kennel manners and feed them 21% protein Purina green bag dog chow to see if it makes a difference.

Old Post 02-07-2020 02:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Bruce, Mr Sullivan might be on to something. He is right about horses and protein. I remember that we were careful not to feed our western pleasure horses corn because it had too much protein in it. We fed them oats. Corn gave them too much energy and we wanted them laid back. Human athletes eat high protein diets to give themselves extra energy and it really wires them up. Maybe that is why Pro Atheletes tend to not have very good manners.
Someone should take a couple of those wired up pups with bad kennel manners and feed them 21% protein Purina green bag dog chow to see if it makes a difference.

It didn’t but lead calms them way down.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 02:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Starting early

I only get to see a small portion of dogs in my neck of the woods or on the net but I used to believe other fellows when that's what they told me until I started paying closer attention. For example mr ed mead has owned the youngest gr nt ch at 1 point and it's not uncommon for him to start many of his blue pups very young.
Fred Moran with his redbones are another fine example. The 1st time I hunted with him in a nite hunt he had a 6 month old female that blew my mind. I was told redbones didn't start early and I told him that he just laughed at me and for good reason as i just didn't know any better.
I have had many of my own blue dogs treeing there own by 6 or 7 months old and I'm not that great at starting them.
I have even seen pictures of king Richards pups on the wood early LOL

Old Post 02-07-2020 02:47 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Bruce I have bought 3 or 4 females in the last year that I thought would be good crosses on my studs and have had to send them back or give them away after 2 weeks of trying break them from bad habits.
You boys that make fun of the Old blood just don’t have any! Doubt I will go outside our lines again, my sanity is worth something😊

Your sanity... you are making some presumptuous assumptions there? lol

Old Post 02-07-2020 03:07 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Ok a man that raises coonhounds may not have any sanity to begin with 😁

Old Post 02-07-2020 03:16 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I am going to give my take on what has happened to the coonhound overall, ( yes there are still some good ones out there, and some rise to the top out of these crosses)
The overriding factor in breeding for the last 35 years has been the "Tree", so breeding extreme tree dog to tree dog to tree dog
has over taken some the other aspects of the balanced hound.
I will call them new breeding, i believe that they cannot control themselves, they run on pure emotion and there strong vocal emotion takes charge of there thoughts.

Example....Since the track just got hard my overriding desire is to tree? Some will not agree with this, but my next conclusion is they don't have enough since to know it's not there.
Example#2 New blood barking excessively in kennel,while the rest are resting comfortably, very sternly give correction, walk 10 ft and starts again, dumb or has an overriding emotion bred into them?
I talk to several people a week about breeding dogs, and am blow away by the guy, who calls me to tell me what a great female they have, she only has one hole, she's 50 to 60 percent accurate...... If you breed her you will get 50% her......Hope your good at picking pups

Old Post 02-07-2020 05:32 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Conrad first off I got a sorry dog. Second a then and now being how Richard told me to go look a major $$$ hunt 6 single coons high scoring dog and winner had 350+ would that been the score back in the 3 hr hunt days on 6 singles ?

They left trees and took minus.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 05:56 PM
yadkintar
Banned

In case you want to see the math 6 singles that’s 1350 + available in ukc and 1200 + available in $$$ kc.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 07:58 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I absolutely can not live with a dog that has bad kennel manners. This conversation reminds me of a stud dog I seen at Walker Days several years ago. The dog was highly advertised. He had 4 shock collars on, and he was still barking nonstop!

Bruce,

I am knocking on wood. Thank goodness I don't have that problem. I had a female I bought years ago. She was all coon dog, and deadly accurate. She would bark bad in the kennel, and she was sold. The guy who bought her said he could break her. He could not. She finally ended up at an ole fella's house who was hard of hearing.

That kind do not stay here.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-07-2020 08:36 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

This is exactly why I never wanted to be a dog trainer, there are way more failures than successes. I can try a dig out and either buy or pass without spending a lot of time trying to train one that does not make the grade. I am truly thankful for ALL the dog trainers that do spend the time , without them folks like myself would never own a TOP COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 02-07-2020 09:40 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

You can buy them cheaper than you can raise them also I could never figure out why an average type hunters would want to sell a nice trained dog because it takes many miles to make one

Old Post 02-07-2020 09:51 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Then what?

Unless I have missed it in this thread, what old blood produced a pup that wasn’t bouncing off the walls and couldn’t learn to shut up in the pen?

Old Post 02-07-2020 09:57 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wart

Some folks just like the challenge of training a young dog, once the dog is trained the challenge is gone and they are looking for a new challenge. Now some folks only like hunting younger dogs and sell the older dogs. There are lots of reasons why a man sells a trained dog and these are only a few. Myself, I am grateful for any reason they sell if the dog suits me. Dave

Old Post 02-07-2020 10:12 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Then what?

quote:
Originally posted by Creason
Unless I have missed it in this thread, what old blood produced a pup that wasn’t bouncing off the walls and couldn’t learn to shut up in the pen?

Give me your definition of old blood. Rattler has been gone 25 + years they are laid back till it gets dark. I had crows boss, coon stopper, Johnson’s dannyboy , dohoney, spring creek rock , Finley river lineages. And never had those bad manners. I know this hurts peoples feelers but it all started with the all grand pedigrees. Maybe they bred out to much of the mutt sense.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 10:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
In case you want to see the math 6 singles that’s 1350 + available in ukc and 1200 + available in $$$ kc.
Tar

Per my poor math: in PKC first coon is 200 and after that each coon is 125. That is a total of 825. You need to hunt in a major hunt. You will only get one or two dogs on each tree. Six singles means the high scoring dog treed 2 coons.

Old Post 02-07-2020 10:15 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Per my poor math: in PKC first coon is 200 and after that each coon is 125. That is a total of 825. You need to hunt in a major hunt. You will only get one or two dogs on each tree. Six singles means the high scoring dog treed 2 coons.

If your settling for a dog that only gives you 125 points on a coon instead of 200 your an underachiever. Quit whoopen them for backing. Back in the day and I have owned dogs that would have got first and first on all six coons.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 10:20 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Mr. Lambert is just stating facts, all dogs are NOT competing for a new set if strike points on every tree, most dogs are only going to get 25 strike points after the initial set of strike points. You can only get a maximum of 25 strike points unless ALL dogs ared competing for a new set of strike points, and that's very rare. Dave

Old Post 02-07-2020 11:05 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Mr. Lambert is just stating facts, all dogs are NOT competing for a new set if strike points on every tree, most dogs are only going to get 25 strike points after the initial set of strike points. You can only get a maximum of 25 strike points unless ALL dogs ared competing for a new set of strike points, and that's very rare. Dave

Dave the how in ukc hunts are dogs scoring 1100 or 1200 points on 6 coons. They beat them $$$ dogs butt and shock them if they get near each other me and you talked about this before if it’s not heads up all dogs on the same coon it’s not pure competition.

Plus they got the leash lock.

Tar

Old Post 02-07-2020 11:33 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You know how I feel, it's not competition as it was meant to be by our founders. Today's competition is a joke, striking a bugger, going 4 different ways on a bugger track and treeing hot coons a mile away. Hummmmmm. Not for me. Now a days the first set of strike ( bugger ) points determines the winner in the majority of the casts I follow in the dollar hunts. Dave

Old Post 02-07-2020 11:40 PM
deercop
UKC Forum Member

I would think that increasing the tree points to 125 like UKC does would help even those automatic strike dogs out. Does not make sense to me that first strike and first tree are equal.

Old Post 02-08-2020 11:58 AM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote