UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Telling the story...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Telling the story...

Before the Garmin...Back in the older days dog men and women would visualize in their minds what the dogs were doing and some would tell the story as it played out...
Today, the Garmin tells the story with accuracy...for me it doesn’t matter so much that we could have been wrong at times...being able to tell the story as it unfolds whether it be 100 percent right on with a few imperfections was a big part of the hunt for some of us...

Some see black or white, and true or false...others see it from a different angle and that’s what make the world go round...

Some see a Walker hound that is black, white and tan, weighing about 60 pounds and is built correctly...others see that and also a special air, demeanor and sophistication about the dog and puts his money on that dog...

When the dog is treed...some look for the coon before deciding there is a coon in tree or if it is a slick tree...
others analyze the situation as they look for the coon...they take into consideration how the dog is acting while treeing, they understand how coon scent comes off the tree...some scent particles will rise in the wind, some will float and WAY MORE scent particles will drop to the ground if the coon is in the tree...they also take into account weather conditions and environment...
So if no coon is in the tree the scent coming off the tree will not be the same...dogs should know the difference...

Some of this is true and some is theoretical...
Just wanting to see other dog folks thinking on this...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2021 04:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Ruben, I will respond to your first paragraph. Having more information that the Garmin Brings to you. Opened my eyes and taught me that a lot of my visualizations were wrong. I then realized I had to react to the story the garmin was telling me. WHICH IS FACT. Not the story my mind was allowing me to accept.

Like an old time hunting buddy. This man when he was able to get around the woods and see what his dogs were doing. Had some real nice hounds. When he started to rely on people telling him what his dogs were doing because he couldn't make it to the tree to see. The quality of his dogs went down. Dogs and People will let you down and your mind will go along with it. Unless you know and face the facts of the situation.

Old Post 01-16-2021 05:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I agree...

Old Post 01-16-2021 05:13 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Telling the story...

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

When the dog is treed...some look for the coon before deciding there is a coon in tree or if it is a slick tree...
others analyze the situation as they look for the coon...they take into consideration how the dog is acting while treeing, they understand how coon scent comes off the tree...some scent particles will rise in the wind, some will float and WAY MORE scent particles will drop to the ground if the coon is in the tree...they also take into account weather conditions and environment...
So if no coon is in the tree the scent coming off the tree will not be the same...dogs should know the difference...

Some of this is true and some is theoretical...
Just wanting to see other dog folks thinking on this...

Here's my thoughts.....this is a listening game before it becomes a seeing game .

I'm listening to my dog.
The hunter should know his dog ,this is the story that is being told...the dog trees differently on sliks, dens & plus trees.... occasionally the dog will gamble, and a good dogmen will know that too ,if u know ur dog, u will know the difference.
If u don't then u will be relieing on the Garmin to think for u.
No Garmin is going to tell u the difference...on the tree, .....all u will know is that the dog is treed.....

The Garmin is a good tool....but ...........it's no substitute for listening.

Listening to a dog tell a story is fast becoming a lost art......

Old Post 01-16-2021 06:33 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

I like to be able to gather as much information as possible. The garmin has really helped move that process along for me and took some of the guessing out of the game. It's helped me move the training process forward and saved time, and perhaps stopped bad habits before they became a "habit". One of the best things about a garmin to me is being able to keep track of how many actual miles a dog is putting on its legs in a night (or week). I start my dogs very young and don't want to put too much stress on a growing body. With that being said the garmin has been the down fall of many hunters. It's let them become lazy, and less attentive to what a dog is doing. In the right hands a great tool, in the wrong hands a handicap.

I have never been a person that just loves to hear a dog work. I don't get any satisfaction until after I shine a tree and see a coon, if the dog work the track fast, came on the tree right and treed to suit me. Even then I usally have something in the back of my head I would like to see cleaned up.

I need to know why for everything, give me facts ( then I will fact check you). If there are no facts I will take a theory and try to prove or disprove it.

Old Post 01-16-2021 08:42 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: Telling the story...

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

The way scent works according to the weather and landscape is fascinating to me. There are factors that most people would never consider. Once I came to understand the science behind it changed the way I analyze things.

Old Post 01-16-2021 08:53 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Dog whisper...excellent post and no doubt listening to your dog and understanding what his voice is saying is key...

River Birch Run...I’m the same way... I need to know why for everything...usually the facts don’t give the details to fully understand...developing theories and filling in the blanks is fun...

Old Post 01-18-2021 01:26 AM