UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Progesterone Test
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sholmes
New UKC Forum Member

Progesterone Test

Ive been thru and read all the old threads about breeding and progesterone testing, But what is the optimal number for breeding? Can the vet tell me the exact day to breed the female? Looks like to me that would be hard to do, and i know that every female is different. I had mine tested on about day three just to check and it was at .3 i dont want to waste a bunch of money on tests but i think ill have her tested one more time on about day 9 just to see what it is and try to breed her around day 12, like most guys on this board have suggested? Any comments much appreciated?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2021 05:47 PM
Sholmes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sholmes Click here to Send Sholmes a Private Message Click Here to Email Sholmes Find more posts by Sholmes Add Sholmes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Over the last two years, I’ve had several surgical AIs done at Altus. Dr. O does the procedure between 20-30 on the test range. I always take my females up early and get tested and leave them so he can watch the number increase to the best time for ovulation. Normally about 3 tests gets us where we need to be. I’ve had 2 females that didn’t ovulate until way late in the cycle....I’m talking day 16-17. If I’d went by the 9th-11th day, I’d have missed her or only got a couple pups. I won’t breed a personal female an]gain without a test.....just takes the guess work out. It’s a difference between 2-3 pups and 10-14 pups per litter.

Old Post 01-13-2021 03:15 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

Last female we had ad Dean Bitzels to get breed was on the 20th day, he said it is not that uncommon and the female had 8 pups. She was always in the late part 16 to 17 days so this was the longest.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
Over the last two years, I’ve had several surgical AIs done at Altus. Dr. O does the procedure between 20-30 on the test range. I always take my females up early and get tested and leave them so he can watch the number increase to the best time for ovulation. Normally about 3 tests gets us where we need to be. I’ve had 2 females that didn’t ovulate until way late in the cycle....I’m talking day 16-17. If I’d went by the 9th-11th day, I’d have missed her or only got a couple pups. I won’t breed a personal female an]gain without a test.....just takes the guess work out. It’s a difference between 2-3 pups and 10-14 pups per litter.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 01-13-2021 12:53 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

We bred a 10 1/2 year old female up here using the Ptest on day 5.. 5 pups. I think it's a very valuable tool..

Old Post 01-13-2021 02:33 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: Progesterone Test

quote:
Originally posted by Sholmes
Ive been thru and read all the old threads about breeding and progesterone testing, But what is the optimal number for breeding? Can the vet tell me the exact day to breed the female? Looks like to me that would be hard to do, and i know that every female is different. I had mine tested on about day three just to check and it was at .3 i dont want to waste a bunch of money on tests but i think ill have her tested one more time on about day 9 just to see what it is and try to breed her around day 12, like most guys on this board have suggested? Any comments much appreciated?

Progesterone tests are EVERYTHING and dont let anyone tell you different.
If you dont want to waste money just dont test on day 3 next time . I usually start on day 7 and even at that i feel like ive just donated money to them for this first test cause its always so low most the time. Optimum number depends if your doing chilled or frozen and if your doing surgical ( si ) or transcervical (tsi) .
Im a huge fan and believer in doing surgical with frozen . Ive had females breed on day 13 and have 6 . have had em breed on day 17 and have 14 pups . your right it all depends on the female .
Ive actually had one test at like a 5.0 then skip a day go BACKWARDS to mid 3.0's then skip a day . test and spike all way up to 12 + !!!!!! Some females just progress/move different .
Help you all i can if you want to pm me you can . Ive learned hard way on a few things that cost me alot of money wont do that anymore.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 01-14-2021 10:30 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

They are great when the person doing them is good at it. WE sent a dog to Nevergone(DEAN)
She was coming into her 14th day. Dean took tests .said se was not ready . he Kept her. we kept calling him. Not today. No not yet. We were going nuts like this can't be right.
Finally he bred her on what we were sure was her 19th day.
SHE HAD 14 PUPS.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:31 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote