UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhunting in the snow
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Miller
I don't agree its the easiest, especially when the snow crystalizes, Some dogs won't even open when it gets like that.

I agree, scent freezes just like everthing else when it gets cold enough. Doesn't mean that cant smell it. Just can't smell it as well.
The statement some one made about wet is better. Dogs probubley have more trouble with wet than anything else in the right conditions. Wet ,temperature comeing down, no wind, the scent pools and spreads out like a blanket. Lots of pups will just run around not able to locate it if it is a layup.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2009 07:19 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1deadeye
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pastor Mike
Now Scott......you know that the VA Boys will hunt in bad weather....no matter how cold it is......snow....or freezing rain......we are game to hit the woods. I would rather hunt in frigid weather than to hunt in the wind...no matter how warm it is

Don't remind me about the freezing rain and trying to walk them Va. mountain sides Mike. Step slide, step slide, then sit and slide all the way down to the bottom. LOL.
But, I give you southern boys all the credit in the world for running them dogs in that humidity. That's the only time I shut down here. I CAN"T TAKE IT.
Just out if curiousity. What is "frigid" in Va.? I know Buck stays warm in the truck. LOL
Scott

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Old Post 11-27-2009 07:51 PM
1deadeye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1deadeye Click here to Send 1deadeye a Private Message Find more posts by 1deadeye Add 1deadeye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by treberta
Coon will move no matter how much snow is on the ground UNLESS the snow it hard and crusty. Then little to no movement from my experience. It hurts their feet.

Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard, (HARD AND CRUSTY, IT HURTS THEIR FEET) I don't think you hunt as much as you would like us to believe. You think that .22 hurts worse ?

Last edited by Todd Miller on 11-27-2009 at 09:00 PM

Old Post 11-27-2009 08:42 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LUKE SOLMES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Coon will move no matter how much snow is on the ground UNLESS the snow it hard and crusty. Then little to no movement from my experience. It hurts their feet.

Around here in late december it is not uncommon to have -10 F. When its like that the coons do not move, & can stay denned for days at a time. But some of my best runs are without a dought on hard crusty snow & ice from late febuary to thaw. Maybe thats just in my area though.

Old Post 11-27-2009 08:54 PM
LUKE SOLMES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LUKE SOLMES Click here to Send LUKE SOLMES a Private Message Click Here to Email LUKE SOLMES Find more posts by LUKE SOLMES Add LUKE SOLMES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

"Frigid"

I guess for us Scott......frigid temps would be single digits and below. That's pretty cold for us........the teens and twenties really aren't that bad as long as the wind isn't blowing.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 11-27-2009 10:11 PM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
I've had some of my best hunts on the snow.

Same here...But it's not the snow I hate but the freezing temps. Anything below 5 degrees and I just plain dread hunting lol.

Home of:
CH Crystal Springs Dear Darla
Crystal Creeks Dizzy Spell

Proud Handler of:
GRNITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Big John
NITECH PR Lifeways Fire Cracker

In Fond Memory of:
NITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Hightech Redneck
GRNITECH GRCH PR Morgan's Losses Hills Dawn
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb
NITECH CH PR Gimme Three Steps Mister

Last edited by Geminite on 11-28-2009 at 02:34 AM

Old Post 11-28-2009 02:16 AM
Geminite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Geminite Click here to Send Geminite a Private Message Click Here to Email Geminite Visit Geminite's homepage! Find more posts by Geminite Add Geminite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wild_BlueMan
UKC Forum Member

Cold Weather

I would agree with most all that is said on here. Twenty degree's seems to be the magic temp. If its above 20 and dry, the coon will be more active. If below, there is usually not much movement. We hunt a lot of abandoned groves in winter, and usually the dogs will track one into an old barn or house. If a front comes through they seem pretty active, even if there is some sleet and snow. Probably because the wet snow holds more scent. In winter we seem to get tracks running strait to den tree's and cant get the coon out.

'PR' Treedogg Mafia Style
"The only two things in life that make it worth living, is guitars in tune good and firm feelin women."
-Waylon Jennings

Old Post 11-30-2009 02:20 AM
Wild_BlueMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wild_BlueMan Click here to Send Wild_BlueMan a Private Message Click Here to Email Wild_BlueMan Find more posts by Wild_BlueMan Add Wild_BlueMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treberta
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Miller
Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard, (HARD AND CRUSTY, IT HURTS THEIR FEET) I don't think you hunt as much as you would like us to believe. You think that .22 hurts worse ?

IS IT FUNNY TODD? I DON'T THINK IT'S FUNNY ONE BIT! IT'S A FACT THAT CRUSTY SNOW HURTS THERE FEET!!!!!!!! APPARENTLY YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COON HUNTING, HAVE YOU EVER TURNED YOURE DOG LOOSE IN CRUSTY SNOW? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS TO YOURE DOGS FEET? tHEY GET CUT AND BLEED SAME GOES WITH COON. I HUNT MORE THEN 90% OF PEOPLE ON HERE AND I AM WILLING TO GUARANTEE THAT I HUNT MORE THEN YOU. COME HERE TO OHIO AND WE WILL HAVE A LITTLE WAGER AND LET OUR DOGS DO THE TALKING. PM ME IF YOURE INTRESTED.

Old Post 11-30-2009 01:40 PM
treberta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treberta Click here to Send treberta a Private Message Click Here to Email treberta Find more posts by treberta Add treberta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

Really cold nights or when the snow gets over knee deep and the coon can't stay on top of it is when the hunting shuts down here in Western Ny. Other than that hunting in the snow ussually means quick tracks and hot trees for me. If thier moving. If not it means hiking a mile in to pull my dog off a den tree.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Old Post 11-30-2009 03:35 PM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1deadeye
UKC Forum Member

Treberta,
Reread your post. You never mention dogs feet. It reads that the snow hurts the coons feet.
Scott

quote:

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Old Post 11-30-2009 03:41 PM
1deadeye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1deadeye Click here to Send 1deadeye a Private Message Find more posts by 1deadeye Add 1deadeye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

It has been my experience that a coon can be treed in just about any temperature, the colder it gets the tougher it can be though.

Coon generaly dont like to move on fluffy deep snow, if its cold also you have to just get lucky to tree one.

Extreme cold dosent seem to bother tracking near as much as when the temperature is right at freezing and falling though the night.

During the rut all bets are off, coon move no matter what, but their legs tend to get longer.

Old Post 11-30-2009 04:06 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
IS IT FUNNY TODD? I DON'T THINK IT'S FUNNY ONE BIT! IT'S A FACT THAT CRUSTY SNOW HURTS THERE FEET!!!!!!!! APPARENTLY YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COON HUNTING, HAVE YOU EVER TURNED YOURE DOG LOOSE IN CRUSTY SNOW? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS TO YOURE DOGS FEET? tHEY GET CUT AND BLEED SAME GOES WITH COON. I HUNT MORE THEN 90% OF PEOPLE ON HERE AND I AM WILLING TO GUARANTEE THAT I HUNT MORE THEN YOU. COME HERE TO OHIO AND WE WILL HAVE A LITTLE WAGER AND LET OUR DOGS DO THE TALKING. PM ME IF YOURE INTRESTED.

You may hunt more than me, I hope you do. I am still laughing about them coons hurting there feet. Far as the dogs hurting there feet, I watch the dogs feet and if there having problems then i pull another. For the record we hunt 6 nights out of the week 98% of the time. What ever the weather brings. Good huntin

Coon mostly stay on top of crusty snow!! The dogs bust throgh and thats typically when their feet get sore, when their braking through the crust.
What ever your right! You sure dont like your chained pulled do you.

Last edited by Todd Miller on 11-30-2009 at 10:59 PM

Old Post 11-30-2009 10:29 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

Watts

Nice pics.

Old Post 11-30-2009 10:31 PM
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

With our Plotts we don't really run into any pad/feet problems. But the English dogs seem to have more trouble with sore feet in the cold weather. If we run into any trouble, we just rub some pad heal on their feet every night before we go hunting. Seems to cure it....Just an idea....

Home of:
CH Crystal Springs Dear Darla
Crystal Creeks Dizzy Spell

Proud Handler of:
GRNITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Big John
NITECH PR Lifeways Fire Cracker

In Fond Memory of:
NITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Hightech Redneck
GRNITECH GRCH PR Morgan's Losses Hills Dawn
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb
NITECH CH PR Gimme Three Steps Mister

Old Post 11-30-2009 11:02 PM
Geminite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Geminite Click here to Send Geminite a Private Message Click Here to Email Geminite Visit Geminite's homepage! Find more posts by Geminite Add Geminite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

I'll tell ya if we ever good a snow bigger than the occasional flurry lol.

Old Post 12-01-2009 12:23 AM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

i dont hunt when it gets below 20 degrees any more my old bones ache to much somebody said if you get a dog from anotherclimate takes some getting used to i got a dog out of arkanas that was a gaurteed coon dog i hunted her for two weeks never treed a coon or got a bark i thought a coon smelled the same in every state must not never could get that person to answer phone lol so i give the dog away

Old Post 12-01-2009 02:40 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote