UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Barking in box
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rudedog
UKC Forum Member

like king Richard said it starts at home in the kennel teach them what no means before you take them in the dog i tie a small cord to the collar run the cord out the dog box vent and hook it to my mirror when they bark in the box i yell no and give a jerk on the cord after a few road trips they get to message i cant stand a dog that barks for no reason in the pen or in the box or tied out at the club

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-02-2019 07:05 PM
rudedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudedog Click here to Send rudedog a Private Message Find more posts by rudedog Add rudedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

don't shock the pup too young

when pups gets a little older hook a ROPE to his collar and run it through your window and now U can yank the rope when he BARKS

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Old Post 10-02-2019 07:31 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Take the pup in the box somewhere where there's no traffic, in good weather. Don't do this below zero or pouring rain or 90 degree heat. Pick a nice day or better yet, night. You want the pup to be enjoying the ride. Every time the pup barks, stop the truck. Don't slam on the brakes, but stop the truck and don't be afraid to make the pup slide around a bit. But make sure the box itself isn't sliding. When the pup quiets down, start moving again. If the pup doesn't shut up, get out of the cab. go to the back and reprimand it gently. Use whatever command you would use if it were barking in the kennel at home. I use HUSH. NO will work. Be firm but calm. Don't yell--you want the pup to be in eager-to-please mode, not scared. Sweet talk it if that's what calms the pup. The pup will figure it out pretty quick, but it may take several rides before it remains calm on every trip. Make that dog box as cozy as possible. If its way too big for him, fill it half full of straw or stuff an old pillow in there. Add something that smells like you, like a dirty t-shirt. .Give him something to teethe on. You want him to know that riding in the box is pleasant, but not too exciting--a good time to nap.

Old Post 10-06-2019 06:13 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Many people don't like fooling with pups. I love it and hope once I retire I'll have a few more years in me where I can spend more time doing it. To me one of the most important things you can do with a pup is crate train it. Done rightly a pup will come to have a lifelong love of that crate. It comes to be a security blanket of sorts, an expectation of going somewhere besides the kennel or chain and a place of rest and refuge. Every hound I own loves the crate.

I start at 8 weeks old taking them on very short rides and never after they have just eaten! I have a small puppy crate I start out with. I'll take them when I go to the store or recycling center or PO. When I get home I put the truck into the garage and let them stay in the crate for a half hour or so. Gradually I lengthen the rides and the time in the crate at home. I also will feed them in the crate sometimes after having come back from a ride. It doesn't take long for them to realize that going for a ride in the box/crate is a good thing!

Old Post 10-06-2019 02:08 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote