UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Patenting an item ??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Patenting an item ??

Has anybody ever looked into patenting anything ? Just curious of whats involved and what it costs ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2018 06:02 PM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Patenting an item ??

quote:
Originally posted by Will Walker
Has anybody ever looked into patenting anything ? Just curious of whats involved and what it costs ?

Wil to do it “right” you’ll need to contact an attorney that specializes in patents. It’s easier to just sell a lot of your products up front, before the copiers can get into the copy process. This is based on my personal experience - maybe someone else will share a better experience.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 01-13-2018 07:01 PM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I think the copiers can look at your product and revise it by 5 percent and now they patent their new product and if they are already established with deep pockets they will compete against you...

Old Post 01-13-2018 08:17 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Patenting an item ??

quote:
Originally posted by Will Walker

Anything can be changed slightly and get around it, the real issue with it is the cost of defending it in court.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-13-2018 10:49 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Patenting an item ??

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Davis
Wil to do it “right” you’ll need to contact an attorney that specializes in patents. It’s easier to just sell a lot of your products up front, before the copiers can get into the copy process. This is based on my personal experience - maybe someone else will share a better experience.
This is exactly what i was thinking, only bad part is with each item theres several hours of labor involved, maybe i could stock up awhile then sell? Thanks for your reply Sam.

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:30 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your replies !

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:33 AM
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Dean Miller was telling me a while back that not having a patent is sometimes best for certain products. You may want to try and get a message to him. I found him to be very open and friendly.

Old Post 01-14-2018 01:20 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

My experience.
How many of you are familiar with a muzzleloader flint lock "Flash Pan Charger"?
My brother Larry Swindell of Antique Rifle Works invented them.I even worked in his machine shop for awhile helping him to manufacture them.
Before they came along you just spilled the powder into the flash pan.
Well he had a patent attorney patent it for him .
Before long several entities were copying them. Most notable where T.C and Traditions.
Some were such blatant copies you could not tell them apart.
Letters were sent to cease infringement.
Well for the most of them it stopped. But all T.C did was change the design so it did not look like his any longer and Traditions Knurled the ends of the caps.
And they changed what they were called.
Instead of "Flash Pan Charger".They called theirs "Powder Chargers".
Supposedly it was enough to allow them to continue.
It was more trouble and cost to stop them so it was never taken to court.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 01-14-2018 at 01:30 AM

Old Post 01-14-2018 01:26 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The system is set up for the rich man to do as they please...if the law were created that anyone who copies and gets around a patent to pay the original creator royalties...this way if there were 2 or 3 copiers then all copiers would pay royalties...

There would be more inventions hitting the market...

Old Post 01-14-2018 01:37 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote