UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Good dog gone bad
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Pruitt
New UKC Forum Member

Good dog gone bad

I have a 3 year old walker male who has fell flat on his face. I was pushing him in the hunts and winning the majority of my cast by treeing coons, before he was about an 80% accurate hound now I'm lucky to see 4 coons outta ten trees. This has all happened within the last month. Any one else experienced anything like this or know what it could be. I WOULD HAVE called him a finished dog. He acts fine, weight is good etc. Still will bust a hole in the dark he just isn't accurate anymore. Thank you for reading.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-09-2018 03:25 PM
Nathan Pruitt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Pruitt Click here to Send Nathan Pruitt a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Pruitt Find more posts by Nathan Pruitt Add Nathan Pruitt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs perform well in winter, some summer, some fall and spring. I'd say if you keep him going and work him through his rough spell he'll be fine. Its dry here with powdery snow. Been below zero temps here. But take into consideration of the weather and the moisture content of the ground.

Old Post 01-09-2018 03:34 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

Keep him out of the hunts for a while. Might be going through a spell of pure competiveness. Try hunting him alone and correcting him for a month or two until he is back to where he was.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 01-09-2018 04:15 PM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Who really knows but I would start with a trip to the vet and get a tick panel done. This is how it starts and goes down from there. Catching it early is better than waiting until they are completely down.

Btw I’ve had 2 come back positive in February down let it being winter fool you.

Old Post 01-09-2018 04:42 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

Go have his thyroid checked! There will be guys who scoff at this, but I experienced what you've experienced, and I know first hand about my dog. Mine was a big hunting dog, who got to where he wouldn't get out about 100 yards, and would seem satisfied to tree a opossum or a slick. When I had him checked, his levels were almost non existent. Took about 3 weeks on meds, and he went back to normal.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 01-09-2018 04:53 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mwilkins
UKC Forum Member

I had the same problem out of my NITECH female this year. Took her to the vet thinking it was her thyroid, but found out she has lymes disease and one other tick transmitted disease. One week on the medicine prescribed by the vet and her problem was fixed. Needless to say, I am glad to have her back healthy and consistently having coons. Going to the vet was expensive, but was well worth it. I also know of another hunter in my area who had the same issue with his dog and it ended up being lymes disease.

NITECH 'PR' Wilkins' Wipeout Oakley
'PR' Wilkins' Loud Mouth Lilly
'PR' Wilkins's Wipeout Squeekie (Deceased) (10/12/08)-(2/23/10)

Old Post 01-09-2018 05:04 PM
mwilkins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mwilkins Click here to Send mwilkins a Private Message Click Here to Email mwilkins Find more posts by mwilkins Add mwilkins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

If he was mine, first thing I would do is get him check for low thyroid, if that was ok, I would lay him up for a couple of weeks. I know that sounds silly but I have seen that work several times. I do not know why that works but it does.

Old Post 01-10-2018 12:19 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

SWITCH HIM AND SEND HIM ON OFF THOSE SLICK TREE'S

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-10-2018 02:00 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
Who really knows but I would start with a trip to the vet and get a tick panel done. This is how it starts and goes down from there. Catching it early is better than waiting until they are completely down.

Btw I’ve had 2 come back positive in February down let it being winter fool you.

I would say you are right on this. Had a beagle get Erlicia in February, cold out to. and a coonhound get the same thing with snow on the ground. Ticks are terrible. Tick panel. Catch it early.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-10-2018 02:18 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
SWITCH HIM AND SEND HIM ON OFF THOSE SLICK TREE'S
NOT ENOUGH LIMBS ON THE TREES TO CURE A SLICK TREEING HOUND .SENDING THEM ON .LOL . NEVER WORK IN 100 YEARS .TRIED IT MANY TIMES WITH MORE DOGS THAN I CARE TO ADMIT. IF ANYTHING SWITCHING THEM JUST MADE ME FEEL BETTER.LOL. YOU EITHER LEARN TO LIVE WITH THE FAULT OR MOVE ON TO A NEW DOG .AT 3 YEARS OLD SUDDEN CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR IF YOU GAVE US A HONEST DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROBLEM A VET VISIT IS YOUR BEST OPTION .

Last edited by thomasg on 01-11-2018 at 03:02 AM

Old Post 01-11-2018 02:59 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

SWITCHING WILL WORK UNLESS YOUR HUNTING A TOTAL IDEOT, THEY KNOW THE COON IS NOT THERE, THEY JUST WANT TO PULL THE TRIGGER TOO QUICK

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-11-2018 03:23 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If they know the coon is not there and still tree, something is missing.

Last edited by shadinc on 01-11-2018 at 03:48 PM

Old Post 01-11-2018 03:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If they know the coon is not there and still tree, something is missing.

THATS WHAT IM SAYIN, THEY ARE HURRING OR SOMETHING, ITS LIKE TREEIN A POSSUM , THEY NOW BETTER, SWITCH EM

4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-11-2018 05:58 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It's not at all like treeing a possum. A possum has scent. What is he smelling when there's only fresh air in the tree?

Old Post 01-11-2018 06:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I battled the same issue went to the vet and he had Erchlicia

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 01-11-2018 06:15 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Nathan I have seen dogs burn out just like you described from too much competition. If the dog checks out clean just ry pleasure hunting him a while. Never know, might just work.

Old Post 01-11-2018 08:54 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

No way am I an authority but in the past I have fixed a lot of dogs no one else could not many if any dogs are finished dogs at three yrs old and not many if any dogs at 6 yrs old can handle all the bs they encounter in the hunts 3 or 4 nights a week ignoring trashy dogs , getting face barked on every tree , ect that's why most the big consistant winners you see have some age on them and if they get to loosing cast regularly the take them out and give them a break............. Sounds like your dog needs a break just you and him roll a few out to him when he has them get on to him when he don't but make it fun for him again he will be ok.

Tar

Old Post 01-12-2018 01:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
It's not at all like treeing a possum. A possum has scent. What is he smelling when there's only fresh air in the tree?

THE POINT IS IT IS LIKE TREEIN A POSSUM, THEY NO BETTER.

4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-12-2018 02:58 PM
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
No way am I an authority but in the past I have fixed a lot of dogs no one else could not many if any dogs are finished dogs at three yrs old and not many if any dogs at 6 yrs old can handle all the bs they encounter in the hunts 3 or 4 nights a week ignoring trashy dogs , getting face barked on every tree , ect that's why most the big consistant winners you see have some age on them and if they get to loosing cast regularly the take them out and give them a break............. Sounds like your dog needs a break just you and him roll a few out to him when he has them get on to him when he don't but make it fun for him again he will be ok.

Tar

X2

4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-12-2018 03:02 PM
Nathan Pruitt
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
NOT ENOUGH LIMBS ON THE TREES TO CURE A SLICK TREEING HOUND .SENDING THEM ON .LOL . NEVER WORK IN 100 YEARS .TRIED IT MANY TIMES WITH MORE DOGS THAN I CARE TO ADMIT. IF ANYTHING SWITCHING THEM JUST MADE ME FEEL BETTER.LOL. YOU EITHER LEARN TO LIVE WITH THE FAULT OR MOVE ON TO A NEW DOG .AT 3 YEARS OLD SUDDEN CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR IF YOU GAVE US A HONEST DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROBLEM A VET VISIT IS YOUR BEST OPTION .
I'm not exactly sure what you mean in an "honest description" why would I get on a forum of guys who I have never met asking for help and not be honest about the situation? I took him to vet the day before I posted this. He was heartworm negative and thyroid was good. Awaiting the tick panel.

Old Post 01-12-2018 07:31 PM
Nathan Pruitt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Pruitt Click here to Send Nathan Pruitt a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Pruitt Find more posts by Nathan Pruitt Add Nathan Pruitt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Pruitt
New UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

Very wise words. Thank you brother!

Old Post 01-12-2018 07:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

Tar

Old Post 01-12-2018 07:34 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Is he opening on tracks before he makes all these slicks or is he just falling treed ? There must be something else different in the way he's operating now besides there being no coon in the trees. If the answers to those are no I'd put him up for a month and hope it acts as a reset.

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 01-13-2018 at 03:13 AM

Old Post 01-12-2018 07:57 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJO
UKC Forum Member

Test for thyroid problems

Have his thyroid checked, I was told that it is a common problem in some bloodlines like Zeb, Wipeout and others ???

Old Post 01-12-2018 09:55 PM
KJO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KJO Click here to Send KJO a Private Message Click Here to Email KJO Find more posts by KJO Add KJO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I had a certain line of dogs that acted exactly like you are describing. It was a light switch came on, it happened over night. Pm me what line of dog he is.

Old Post 01-13-2018 02:01 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote