UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > White River ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin
UKC Forum Member

White River ?

I had some guys tell me about White River refuge and I'm planning on taking a trip there the second week of December if I can get off work. It's 12 hours from home. Can anyone tell me what to be ready for? And is it really good as everyone says? And can it be walk hunted and is North or South until better? Thanks for any help! I hope I'm not going in over my head! But looking forward to the trip

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-18-2019 11:43 PM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is flat so it should beat those Va mountains.

Old Post 11-19-2019 01:34 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

Got a buddy who said not many coon this year. Had 9 months of it being flooded and most either moved out or died. Hope this helps before you make the trip

Old Post 11-19-2019 01:44 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Austin

If you have the chance to go, go on, like Richard Said it's flat and beats these mountains. Coons love water, I don't think many drown and you should have no trouble treeing way more coons there than you can here. I definitely got that place on my bucket list. Dave

Old Post 11-19-2019 04:41 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Vines
UKC Forum Member

I’m headed to the north unit this weekend. Based on my past experience there it is some of the best hunting that you have ever seen. It can be walk hunted or hunted from an atv. An atv will help you to get away from some of the traffic, but you can still have a good hunt without one. Even though most of the locals will say that the coon population is down, and it very well might be, BUT what they don’t realize is that it is still much better hunting than most folks have around their house.

Last edited by Ryan Vines on 11-19-2019 at 07:47 PM

Old Post 11-19-2019 06:36 PM
Ryan Vines is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Vines Click here to Send Ryan Vines a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Vines Find more posts by Ryan Vines Add Ryan Vines to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Even in bad years it is some of the best hunting available. When you can look at 15 -20 or more singles a night it is good hunting.

Old Post 11-19-2019 07:36 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks guys, good luck to you all this season

Old Post 11-20-2019 10:47 PM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I just returned this afternoon from the White.
Most beautiful country one can stroll through BUT the coon population that is moving down there, in my opinion, is the lowest I have seen.
Yes, we treed coon, yes we had a ball as usual, and yes I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING but I don’t think you should go down to the north with visions of treeing 10-15 per night like in the past.

I had one slough that was difficult to cross last night but managed not to get wet
Walk hunted 99.9% of time this year due to water over trails but there are 1000’s of bone dry acres to hunt. I could have hunted in flip flops first 3 nights

Old Post 11-21-2019 12:13 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

One thing that hasn’t been addressed is if using an Atv stay on the trails. If you go let us know how it went

Old Post 11-21-2019 03:35 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin
UKC Forum Member

I will and could someone tell me the season dates for the North and South units, Please and I know there are some wild hogs in Arkansas are any ever found on the rufuge?

Old Post 11-21-2019 09:54 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Just got back after 4 nights, pretty tired 😊
Stayed in 1 to 2 ft of water most of the time.
Kansas lake area flooded, treed coon but had to wade for most of them, from times past this year was disappointing, most men that came to Maddux bay left after 2 nights.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 11-22-2019 01:48 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There are deer, wild hogs, bears and a whole lot of dillers. If you are coming from up North and your dog is not straight, you could be in for a long night/day. One year that I went a boy's dog ran a bear that swam across the White River and left the country. it took him 2 days to find his dog. Another year a boy's dog ran "something", probably a hog, and he didn't get it caught until daybreak.
One of the good things about the WRR is that it is so big. One of the bad things about the WRR is that it is so big. It is really nice to have a dog that handles nicely.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-22-2019 at 03:50 PM

Old Post 11-22-2019 03:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

just got back yesterday. hunted five nights and had a ball. we didn`t tree a lot of coons but a good time was had by all.if you take an atv you better have a good winch or a lot of friends to push. an`t telling you what I heard. the coons are scarce and few and far between. fartherest we had to walk was .68 miles one way.had to cross two sloughs on the way.walked a beaver dam on one and wadded the other. the ground is covered with acorns but there is nothing to eat them. so if you go thinking you are gonna tree 15 to 20 coons a night , you better stay home.the friends is what made our trip fun. there was five of us,,,one from here local, and one nutt and one real good guy from the Birmingham area an the a rambling reporter from down in florida area and me. thanks guys, I had a ball. looking forward to next time!!!!!

Old Post 11-22-2019 03:49 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

We started at 6 one evening and hunted till 2
Hardwood Saul treed 7 singles all on the outside but covered 11 miles in 1 to 2 ft of water to get them. We were wore slap out from walking thru all the water, many times watched my sons headlights go under water on his 4 wheeler. But had good fellowship and got to see old friends. Don’t go thinking it will be a good pup training adventure.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 11-22-2019 05:25 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Vines
UKC Forum Member

Just got home after two nights hunting on the north unit. There is a lot of water - big water!! The coons are scattered, they are there but not near as thick as in the past. Only saw one other coon hunter in two nights, which was shocking.

Old Post 11-26-2019 05:30 AM
Ryan Vines is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Vines Click here to Send Ryan Vines a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Vines Find more posts by Ryan Vines Add Ryan Vines to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POP
UKC Forum Member

is there enough dry ground to tree some squirrels?

Old Post 11-26-2019 11:09 AM
POP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POP Click here to Send POP a Private Message Find more posts by POP Add POP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Vines
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by POP
is there enough dry ground to tree some squirrels?

I would say yes, there is enough dry ground to tree some squirrels..

Old Post 11-26-2019 02:00 PM
POP
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Vines
I would say yes, there is enough dry ground to tree some squirrels..

thanks!

Old Post 11-27-2019 10:35 AM
POP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POP Click here to Send POP a Private Message Find more posts by POP Add POP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tstroud
UKC Forum Member

Flooding?

I am from AR. Currently living in MS. Had a trip planned in a week or so. Was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on the water. I heard some of the roads were flooded. They just got some rain in the last couple days also. Just trying to decide if I need my decoys or my coon dog when I go!

Old Post 12-02-2019 04:38 PM
tstroud is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tstroud Click here to Send tstroud a Private Message Click Here to Email tstroud Find more posts by tstroud Add tstroud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Flooding?

quote:
Originally posted by tstroud
I am from AR. Currently living in MS. Had a trip planned in a week or so. Was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on the water. I heard some of the roads were flooded. They just got some rain in the last couple days also. Just trying to decide if I need my decoys or my coon dog when I go!
decoys and flat bottom boat ,

Old Post 12-02-2019 07:14 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatty b
UKC Forum Member

Just got back today decoys not many coons this year

Old Post 12-03-2019 04:38 AM
Fatty b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatty b Click here to Send Fatty b a Private Message Find more posts by Fatty b Add Fatty b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatty b
UKC Forum Member

And lots of water

Old Post 12-03-2019 04:53 AM
Fatty b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatty b Click here to Send Fatty b a Private Message Find more posts by Fatty b Add Fatty b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

On a dry year how good is squirrel hunting on northside. Coon hunted south several times but thinking about try run squirrel dog on north. Appreciate any info.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 12-05-2019 03:45 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 12-05-2019 03:53 PM
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Just got back

Well I just got back from a 12 hour trip to the White River we had a great time and all the people around there are great. We did tree coons, but not alot. The whole place was flooded besides two roads. So I would tell anyone to always call before you head down there. And it's all easy walking. I hope to go back some day.

Old Post 12-13-2019 11:36 PM