UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Face Barking in a hunt
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Divided we are.

Happy hunting guys. Kills me that two threads below we have dozens of post trying to figure out how to stop treeing possums. Some of u experts figure out how to stop the alligators from feeding at the tree. Competition or not this is a behavior that can be corrected. But if you say it's within the rules to face bark why bother. I think we should breed pitbulls into the bloodlines then whoever is left when we get there plus him up!!!!!!!! Face barking not aggression and interfering. Joke

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2021 10:55 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
None of that changes the fact that face barking is aggression.

Aggression alone is not a scratchable offense the key word AND INTERFERING

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-23-2021 11:36 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I didn't say it was a scratchable offense. Some on here are saying face barking is not aggression.

Old Post 01-24-2021 12:25 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kcmo
UKC Forum Member

Face barking

Is it really interfering??
Will your dog stop treeing ??? I don't like a face barking dog but will it stop your dog treeing?

Old Post 01-24-2021 12:37 AM
Kcmo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kcmo Click here to Send Kcmo a Private Message Click Here to Email Kcmo Find more posts by Kcmo Add Kcmo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
I didn't say it was a scratchable offense. Some on here are saying face barking is not aggression.

It isn't always. I've seen it in pups that are just wound up and excited. It's kinda like the idiots that jack the tree and fall on dogs only difference is even if those tree jackers interfere they can't be scratched.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-24-2021 12:39 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

And if you think your tree jacking dog doesn't cause problems then you need to rethink the whole face barking being aggressive behavior. I've seen way more scuffles at the tree from dogs jacking and landing on other dogs then face barking. I guess its just me but if my dog wouldn't stay treed with either the dog wouldn't be mine very long.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-24-2021 01:42 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
None of that changes the fact that face barking is aggression.

I don't think anyone said it wasn't but I admit I could have easily overlooked it LOL.

Aggressive behavior is within the rules unless it interferes with another dogs ability to compete in the hunt. They made a specific definition for attempting to fight and it is aggressive behavior AND interference.

That's the rule. I didn't make it.

You didn't make it.

We all agree to abide by it when we sign up for a UKC hunt.

Instead of cheating (breaking the rules as some people are insinuating by scratching dogs for face barking alone) either get enough support to change the rule, follow the current rules, and if you don't want to abide by it don't hunt UKC hunts.

I am not being disrespectful by saying that. I mean no harm. All I am saying is that we agree to abide by UKC rules when we sign up and to me that means I gave my word to follow them to the best of my ability EVEN THE ONES I DON'T LIKE. I must abide by them.

I think the hunts would be better if everyone approached it this way.

Last edited by Rip on 01-24-2021 at 03:05 AM

Old Post 01-24-2021 03:02 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Bingham
Just let them figure it out before i get there. I don't classify face barking as aggressive behavior. There just letting you know to get outta there space. But some people will try and scratch you for anything.

Old Post 01-24-2021 03:29 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Face barking

I hate it period, but it happens like it or not! Some of these post remind me of some Attorney questions with a yes or no answer , example Are basketball players tall? Witness replies yes, attorney says " you know Spud Webb played in the NBA and he was only 5'7", Is 5'7" tall? " Witness well, no. Attorney, "You said basketball players were tall." " Where you lying when you said that?" Witness, no, I mean I do not know. Lol. Face barking can be a sign of aggression or maybe not, it depends on the dog period. Anyway, it is not a reason in itself to scratch a dog, like it or not and UKC does not agree that it is a scratchable offense, so everyone's opinion does NOT matter, just as several posters have stated. No matter how you phrase the question! No one should have to be an attorney to hunt in UKC HUNTS, AS MOST OF THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN CLARIFIED BY UKC. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2021 04:15 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Divided we are.

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Happy hunting guys. Kills me that two threads below we have dozens of post trying to figure out how to stop treeing possums. Some of u experts figure out how to stop the alligators from feeding at the tree. Competition or not this is a behavior that can be corrected. But if you say it's within the rules to face bark why bother. I think we should breed pitbulls into the bloodlines then whoever is left when we get there plus him up!!!!!!!! Face barking not aggression and interfering. Joke

It is not our interpretation of the rules it is Ukc’s interpretation and how the rules are written. I do not like a face barking dog at all but I know if I go to a hunt I will have a better chance of winning more hunts if I have a dog smart enough or tough enough to stay treed with one.

Old Post 01-24-2021 04:48 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clif Owen
Back in the early 90's I had a dog that was pretty radical at the tree. He jacked the tree pretty bad sometimes. I had no idea how to break this. Anyway, I took him to a RQE to try to win my cast and possibly get a 1st. We cut the dogs and they went just about 75 yards and all 4 blew up on a tree. Well, a few seconds later; you could tell there was friction. Honestly, at this point; I wasn't worried. My dog's voice hadn't changed. He WASN'T involved. But when we got to the tree, he was face barking. The judge scratched him for attempting to fight. I never questioned the decision. However, when the judge started telling me how to return to the clubhouse; I refused to leave. I was going to watch to see how this circus turned out. I wasn't sure the right dog was scratched and I knew that not enough dogs were scratched but mine looked guilty. Long story short; about an hour or so into the hunt; 2 of the remaining 3 got into a battle. They weren't blowing...they were for real fighting. But, they quit before we got close enough to see what happened. There was no doubt which 2 were involved. But nothing was ever done. I probably owe one of those guys an apology. For about a year, I thought his dog was the bad one. Turns out, there was a female on the cast and she was bad to the bone. It was evidently her that started both scuffles. I think she grabbed mine on the first tree and blew his mind.
Should my dog have been scratched?? At the time, I thought so but I'm not sure now. I didn't like his actions but wonder now if he was only trying to protect himself after being attacked.

Back in the early 90’s face barking alone was a scratching offense without interference. It was probably the way it should be, however the rule was used to get rid of dogs that might just look at another dog a time or two while they were treed with another dog. This usually happened when said dog was leading the cast and someone else, the judge usually, needed to eliminate the competition. I believe that was the main reason for the need for interference to also occur to make it harder to scratch a dog for just looking the wrong way when it barked.

Old Post 01-24-2021 04:54 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir

I agree with that for sure. I know there are guys that get the card and take advantage of it. But I am not talking about two dogs getting tangled up and yaayaya and that's it. I am thinking of a blatant aggressor that is very consistent in a dogs face provoking. Not mad at anyone just have seen some bad stuff back in 80s and 90s...And I do admit that it is not an easy problem to solve...just my opinion boys...and ladies

Old Post 01-24-2021 05:26 AM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
The question we need to ask ourselves is...what type of dog is a face barker?

Some will say it is a dog that wants its space...

I see it as a jealous dog hoarding the tree and wants the coon for itself...it is also aggressive behavior...IMO the dog should be focused on treeing a coon and not on face barking...

Work hard at training the dog to not be a face barker is ok...and one day you decide to breed that dog and wonder why you have more face barking in the next generation...

When trying to breed on the ragged edge of perfection...chances are you will fall on each side of that line with the pups...
Who wants to breed that close to the negative?

Rules should take this into consideration and look at the big picture....modify rules that promote the better dogs...

I will not hunt a face barker...they can ruin a pup as well...

Reuben just wondering do you have problems with hog dogs face barking?

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:32 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Yes I have...when the hog has been stopped and the dogs are at bay is when it happens if it’s going to happen...

Also seen it with dogs trying to hunt and one is running alongside face barking...don’t see it often but a little is too much as far as I am concerned...

Old Post 01-25-2021 03:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I look at it like this if you are at work minding your own business doing your job and I come by and slam into you or jump up on your work bench and jump on top of you what are you going to do? More than likely say something. This is absolutely no different. Usually the dog that is causing the other one to face bark is more of the problem than the one doing the face barking because they are either circling the tree or running the tree. About all of them will tree just fine with however many dogs that want to pile in there as long as they use there manners when they get there. If they don’t mid there manners they need to be warned about it. If they continue to not mind there manners well they don’t deserve to eat at the table and need to be sent packing. Knock the crap out of them when they are circling the tree and jacking the tree while you are pleasure hunting and you will have VERY LITTLE problems in a hunt.
As for the rule it’s right there in black and white quit trying to bend it to get rid of dogs.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-25-2021 08:23 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Team Mafia, I agree with you, but if you stand next to me at work and keep yelling in my face, we’ll also have a problem. I don’t go to work looking for a problem, but will have trouble working with you yelling in my face. 😁 I understand the rules, just stating an opinion.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:13 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Face barking and Blowing are two differnt things Dalton. Yes a dog will blow when another dog is acting a fool, that other wise would just stand there treeing. But dogs that face bark, do just that all the time no matter what they tree with. Most of the time they start bumping other dogs on the tree trying to get a reaction, when that don't work they mouth other dogs head, and even nip. Females are real bad about this and always get away with it. Tree jackers can be broke face barkers can be light broke. Face barkers get culled at my house.

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:33 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

Keywords

"Disgression of the judge"

Home of:
PR Fitzko's Hardwood Mighty Mouse

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:38 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

The meanest dogs I ever seen was always the the dog that stands still and doesn't want a dog in it's spot on the tree. They look like a class act till another dog gets to close.
Circling and tree jacking alone is never an issue till they meet one of these class act type dogs.

Old Post 01-25-2021 02:24 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
The meanest dogs I ever seen was always the the dog that stands still and doesn't want a dog in it's spot on the tree. They look like a class act till another dog gets to close.
Circling and tree jacking alone is never an issue till they meet one of these class act type dogs.

There used to be a dog here locally that weighed 90+ pounds. He would run 6 or 8 feet up a tree and fall on top of everything. He ran more dogs off by doing that and blowing them up than any “rough” dog I’ve ever encountered.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Last edited by Team Mafia 2 on 01-27-2021 at 03:47 PM

Old Post 01-27-2021 03:41 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

I agree. Jacking the tree definitely isn’t desirable trait but I’ve seen a lot of tree jackers that could tree with a bunch of other dogs that also jacked the tree and could fall all over one another without a single issue. I also agree this behavior needs to be worked on and discouraged while pleasure hunting. I said all that to say this, in my opinion the aggressor is the one that bites first regardless of what happens at the tree. As they say, opinions vary..

Old Post 01-27-2021 04:21 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

What dog do you want. The one blowing and face barking. The one jumping. Or the one standing still and had better be left alone. I have seen several of the standing still ones shut down several problems at a tree in 5 seconds or less. Dogs just didn't mess with them after they demonstrated they would not be messed with. They didn't go looking for trouble. But they didn't move an inch because of it.

Old Post 01-27-2021 05:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
What dog do you want. The one blowing and face barking. The one jumping. Or the one standing still and had better be left alone. I have seen several of the standing still ones shut down several problems at a tree in 5 seconds or less. Dogs just didn't mess with them after they demonstrated they would not be messed with. They didn't go looking for trouble. But they didn't move an inch because of it.

Bruce, given your choices, I would take the dog standing still and not wanting any trouble, but taking care of business if needed. I have based my life the same way, I never want any trouble, I mind my own business, but I will not be pushed and shoved out of the way when I am doing no wrong. In our entitled society, we have more than our share of folks who seem to think they can get away with anything, pretending to be the innocent victim when they do not get their way. Same with dogs, some will do anything to get their way if allowed. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-28-2021 at 12:34 AM

Old Post 01-27-2021 05:39 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, when you have one of those leave me alone types, all of the tree jacker and face barker handlers will try every trick to get yours scratched. They all start crying when they go in to a tree and theirs is standing back bloody but yours is standing like a statue treeing away. They will gang up and vote to scratch yours when they know their's started it.

Old Post 01-27-2021 10:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Face Barking?

Let's not think that face barking is aggressive behavior. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't.

Over the years, I and my dad have had a couple of females that would tree 120-140, and toss their head, alone or in company. No aggression. They treed the same way by themselves. We could hunt our own dogs and friends dogs with them, and have them treed side by side with no problem at all.

That said, it is best to not hunt a dog like this in the hunts, as some dogs are intimidated by this type of treeing. It's sort of like having a tree jacking dog that trees the same way all by itself. There's no real aggression or interfering intent, but it can bring out aggression from other dogs, and sometimes intimidate other dogs. You can literally have two or three dogs like this treeing together without a problem. But, when hunted with dogs of a different temper/intensity and/or style, it can bring out problems in the other dogs.

That said, there is a different type of face barker that will guard a tree (don't want anything else treeing with them). These are the ones that you have to watch out for.

Old Post 01-28-2021 02:39 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote