UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How old is too old
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

How old is too old

Talking about dogs not us, lol. How old a dog will you buy just to hunt. Not talking about for breeding purposes. Appreciate your opinions. I've always been hesitant to buy an older dog but the few I've had I maybe have enjoyed the most.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2020 12:59 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

The age of the dog depends to me on how well the dog has been taken care of I've seen 8 or 9 yo dogs look great been well taken care of had a good dry box to sleep in , an 8 or 9 yo dog wouldn't bother me at all if been n good hands

Old Post 01-12-2020 01:06 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom

I usually like to buy a well seasoned coon dog age 6 to 8 years old and I get 4 to 5 years of hunting a really nice coon dog. I am not much on hunting younger dogs that MAY make a good one, I want to hunt a good one when I go hunting. One of the very best I ever owned was 8 years old when I bought him, it was the best money I ever spent. Dave. P.S. Borrowing a line from a Tom Hall song " only 3 things in life worth a solitary dime old dogs, children and watermelon wine." I do not drink, but I love good old dogs and children.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-12-2020 at 01:29 AM

Old Post 01-12-2020 01:16 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Dave I've always bought young dogs and tried to make something out of them and can honestly say it failed a lot more than it worked. One of the reasons I did this is I really never would spend the money to buy a good dog. But I'm 70 now and think I will be better served to spend a little more and buy one that is finished. Now the problem is finding one that's really a good dog.

Old Post 01-12-2020 01:59 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Now the problem is finding one that's really a good dog.

That's the ticket, right there. There are only a handful of real dog men out there anymore that actually know what a "good dog" is. Finding one you can trust, that knows what a good dog is, who happens to have one for sale, is next to impossible.

Old Post 01-12-2020 04:00 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Cory, I'm looking.

Old Post 01-12-2020 04:03 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom/Cory Highfill

Tom, Cory is one if the absolute count on one hand men that I would buy a dog from sight unseen based on his word. I just hope Cory decides to sell me one in the next year or so. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-12-2020 04:34 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

I had the ultimate pleasure of hunting and titling a 13 yr old dog. He was an older fellas hound and I just stopped in one day to meet him. I ended up with the old dog and he was a fire cracker. He made nt ch just real easy and had a couple wins to GN. He just got too old there at the end. I always bragged on him and my old buddy said "you should have seen him go when he was 3!"

That was the yard stick and still is for me

He didnt hunt as hard as the other dogs, but he usually had the meat about 80 yards from the truck lol

I frequently remember one of those 80 yard nights. We were ready to turn a 4 dog cast loose and one of the guys looked at my old gray fat dog and said he hoped the old fella could keep up. We cut them and my dog literally fell treed by himself in sight of the truck. He was on a sprout about the size of a baseball bat. I was a nervous wreck waiting on time to shine.

When we got there he was in his usual sitting position looking right at a coon about 15ft in the air. There wasnt much said about the old dog after that. After everyone signed the card and 4 coon seen, that same guy said boy I bet that old dog is fun to hunt.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Last edited by CX3 on 01-12-2020 at 03:19 PM

Old Post 01-12-2020 03:12 PM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

From my experience when a dog gets to 9 years of age is when they start slowing down some. There's a few that I like better now they're old n grey in the face. But I understand what you're asking. And I prefer 1 that's 4 or older. At 4 they should be pretty well finished product. And for me that when I enjoy hunting them because they tend to be easier to predict in situations.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-12-2020 09:25 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote