UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Why is it?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Why is it?

I recently was reading the August issue of American Cooner. In reading the write up on the Super Stakes, and looking at all the dozens of pictures of the casts for all the finals and semi-finals, there wasn't a single redbone in there.

Now, I've only ever pleasure hunted, and have never even been to a night hunt, but I've owned redbones most of my life. I never paid a lot of attention to who was winning what in the coondog world. But WHY are there no redbones making it into those top hunts?

Are people just not hunting them enough in those hunts? I find it hard to believe that there's no redbones out there that can compete and win against all those white dogs. I realize there are a lot more people hunting walkers than redbones, but surely there's some red dogs somewhere that can go the distance. Isn't there?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-2020 04:26 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It takes a team to win in those hunts. You have to have the dog, the trainer, the handler and someone to put up the money. You can't just take that dog tied up behind the barn, show up and win the money.
So are there no dogs, no handlers, no trainers or no one to back them? I would like to think that there are a couple of each but just not in the right combination. But I may be wrong. Maybe there just aren't any Redbones good enough to compete with those high powered walkers.

Old Post 08-19-2020 01:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It takes a team to win in those hunts. You have to have the dog, the trainer, the handler and someone to put up the money. You can't just take that dog tied up behind the barn, show up and win the money.
So are there no dogs, no handlers, no trainers or no one to back them? I would like to think that there are a couple of each but just not in the right combination. But I may be wrong. Maybe there just aren't any Redbones good enough to compete with those high powered walkers.

Dang brother Richard and you might add yall ran some of the major players off ..raising chickens,playing with stocks and some driving on the wrong side of the trucks.

Old Post 08-19-2020 06:10 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Dominguez
UKC Forum Member

I’ve never had a problem with the reds I turned loose that couldn’t compete with those Holsteins 😉

Most of it is dog power, a good dog will pay for a lot of the hunts they’re in. A lot of dogs are better during the day & on the internet & it shows when they’re entered... it’s not easy to compete in that level of competition, when you’re at that level of competition a good handler comes in play but it’s mostly dog power because most of the rounds are non hunting judges. I think there are a few that could be taken to town at anytime & will. A lot of guys are doin there best to promote them too so I think some will pop up in the magazines.

903-650-4495 call/txt anytime
Banshee Coon Squaller
Eukanuba Dog food

Redbone:
All Grand Outlaw G-Man
GRNITECH
GRAND SHOW CH
CHKC GRCH (all time $ leader)
PKC PLATINUM CH (all time $ leader)
2016 RESERVE FALL SUPER STAKE CH (only redbone to ever make the final 4)

Grnitech PKC CH Night Stalkin roxie
2018 top 16 PKC redbone breed
2018 Top 16 PA state race
2019 National Redbone days Champion

Walker:
UKC Dual Grand, PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Champion
Frost Bite Zoey

UKC Dual Grand, PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Champion
Dirty Little Tramp
Russ Myer hunt winner $20,000
Final 4 PKC super stakes

Past:
GOLD CH GRCH GRNITECH Classy Cali
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Outlaw Jack
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Apache Man
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Famous Outlaw Ann
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Tree Burning Moses

Old Post 08-20-2020 04:07 PM
Tony Dominguez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Dominguez Click here to Send Tony Dominguez a Private Message Click Here to Email Tony Dominguez Find more posts by Tony Dominguez Add Tony Dominguez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm poor as can be so having a dog of that caliber is a long ways in the future for me. But I know they're out there, and I really would like to see a redbone win the world championship or superstakes someday. I'm sick to death of seeing page after page of black and white dogs, lol.

Old Post 09-11-2020 12:56 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote