UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > snakes/ snake bites
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SWAMPTICK BLUES
UKC Forum Member

snakes/ snake bites

What's the best treatment if a dog gets snake bit? And what to expect?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-30-2013 02:27 PM
SWAMPTICK BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SWAMPTICK BLUES Click here to Send SWAMPTICK BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email SWAMPTICK BLUES Find more posts by SWAMPTICK BLUES Add SWAMPTICK BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hightower
UKC Forum Member

snake bites

when I was stationed in TX we had dogs get bit on occasion. Honestly the first thing you have to have is a healthy dog on good feed with an uncompromised immune system. Obviousely that in itself will not ward off a snake bite but I mention this because if a dog is being raised on chicken feed and is full of worms all I can say is good luck. The guys from south TX told me they used a cocktail for lack of a scientific name comprised of a 50/50 mixture of injected combiotic and b12. Both should be available at your local feed store. You will have to get the dosage on the bottles. Draw it out, mixed, give a shake to blend in the syringe and inject under the loose skin on the back of the dogs neck. Both times I had to do this the swelling was gone in two days and the dogs suffered no ill affects. I live in Md. now so hopefully those days are behind me. Its also important to keep the dog quiet and comfortable even if that means bringing it inside in the ac and keeping it crated. In the woods if you suspect a snake bite always have on hand some sort of vet wrap or compression bandage to apply to the affected area usually the legs. You do not want to stop the flow of blood completely just slow it down. Get the dog out of the woods with as little exursion and stress on the dog as possible and and get it under treatment. I'm certainly no vet but this treatment worked for me. The best course is to get to a vet asap. Good luck.

Last edited by Hightower on 04-30-2013 at 04:45 PM

Old Post 04-30-2013 04:35 PM
Hightower is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hightower Click here to Send Hightower a Private Message Click Here to Email Hightower Find more posts by Hightower Add Hightower to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

Re: snakes/ snake bites

quote:
Originally posted by SWAMPTICK BLUES
What's the best treatment if a dog gets snake bit? And what to expect?

Every man to his own Opinion!!!! PERSONALLY i don't do anything when one of my dogs gets Snake Bit. I've had hundreds bit and not one die. Ill be 84 in AUG. so it's plain, my experance goes back apiece. You can expect swelling (sometimes enormous) for an uncertain number of days and then it will be over until the next time they are bit.

IF A PERSON THINKS THEY=NEED= TO HAVE THEIR DOG TREATED FOR SNAKE BITE. THEN I THINK THEY SHOULD. NOTHING IS BETTER THAN A SATISFIED MIND!!! IF A PERSON THINKS THEY=HAVE= TO HAVE THE DOG TREATED THEN THAT'S DEBATEABLE!!!!

BACK THE APA

Last edited by Plott55 on 05-11-2013 at 05:54 PM

Old Post 04-30-2013 05:10 PM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hightower
UKC Forum Member

I've heard

alot of folks doing the same meaning nothing and the dog turned out fine. I've also heard it go the other way as well. My take on it is you are certainly not going to hurt anything by giving a dose of a broad spectrum antibiotic and some vitamins if for nothing else some piece of mind. I would not get to amped up if my dog got bit. Just keep them quiet until the swelling goes down and keep a watchfull eye on them and they often times more so than not turn out fine.

Old Post 04-30-2013 05:32 PM
Hightower is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hightower Click here to Send Hightower a Private Message Click Here to Email Hightower Find more posts by Hightower Add Hightower to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWAMPTICK BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the information. Im from michigan where we dont have any snakes, but im going south to run bear in a couple weeks and was just curious what to expect if one does get bit.

Old Post 05-01-2013 01:47 AM
SWAMPTICK BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SWAMPTICK BLUES Click here to Send SWAMPTICK BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email SWAMPTICK BLUES Find more posts by SWAMPTICK BLUES Add SWAMPTICK BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

snakes

Which state are you coming to??????

Old Post 05-01-2013 02:06 AM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outlaw 3
UKC Forum Member

Benadryl

If you or a dog are bitten by a snake, you should take/administer Benadryl immediately.

What happens to you or your dog after the snake bites you is your body's allergic reaction to the venom. Benadryl is an anti-histamine which reduces your bodies overreaction to the venom.

I keep a couple of pills with me in my tracking box bag at all times just in case.

There are other steroids that a vet/doctor may give you or your dog which essentially do the same thing, but Benadryl is easy and cheap to keep with you.

Old Post 05-01-2013 04:30 PM
Outlaw 3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outlaw 3 Click here to Send Outlaw 3 a Private Message Click Here to Email Outlaw 3 Visit Outlaw 3's homepage! Find more posts by Outlaw 3 Add Outlaw 3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outlaw 3
UKC Forum Member

Antibiotics are never a bad idea also. Sometimes if the swelling is immense, (typically from a timber rattler) it may burst at the site of the bite. The antibiotics will help to prevent infection if that happens.

Old Post 05-01-2013 04:35 PM
Outlaw 3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outlaw 3 Click here to Send Outlaw 3 a Private Message Click Here to Email Outlaw 3 Visit Outlaw 3's homepage! Find more posts by Outlaw 3 Add Outlaw 3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I have two to three dogs bitten annually and found that the rattlesnake vaccine helps to increase the chance of survival as it will reduce the amount of swelling and infection. Before this vaccine, I was loosing a hound every year or so to a rattler bite. As long as the bite is on the head, you are generally okay. Worse bite is in muscle mass area such as hind leg. What generally kills the dog is too much infection for the kidneys to process, causing them to shut down.

Old Post 05-02-2013 02:23 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWAMPTICK BLUES
UKC Forum Member

the rattlesnake vaccine doesnt cover copperhead and water moccasin bites does it?

Old Post 05-03-2013 10:33 PM
huntinlass
UKC Forum Member

Can't tell you anything about water moccasin or copperhead, but this is what we have done for rattlesnake.

Snake bite:
5 cc dexamethadone
Benadryl (antihistamine) -
1 cc/10 lb penicillin

Immediately administer, and continue for 3 days.

I have been told that a high percentage of the bites are dry bites having no venom, but they have filthy mouths and the infection is what gets a dog. keep them quiet and cool.

Old Post 05-05-2013 12:14 AM
huntinlass is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntinlass Click here to Send huntinlass a Private Message Click Here to Email huntinlass Find more posts by huntinlass Add huntinlass to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redwood Hounds
UKC Forum Member

Benadryl is the worst thing you can give a dog. All it does is lower the dogs already low blood pressure. Benadryl helps allergic reactions, bug bites ect. Dogs do not have an allergic reaction to snake bites (those that do are the ones that die almost immediately after being bit) Venom causes all the symptoms you see, thats how it works, its a poison, not an allergy. I've worked as a vet tech for years, and we see an upwards of 1-3 snakebites a day here in the summer. Antibiotics and Dexamethazone to help keep it from becoming infected and reduce swelling faster, an NSAID (no asprin!) like Rimadyl/Deramaxx/Previcoxx really help keep them comfortable.

REDWOOD'S TREEING WALKER COONHOUNDS
& LOUISIANA CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOGS
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/

NITECH CGRCH FCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's All Night Aspen
(2014 #1 UKC Top Ten All-Breed Conformation Treeing Walker)
NITECH CCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's Wild Gamble

Old Post 05-06-2013 07:29 PM
Redwood Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redwood Hounds Click here to Send Redwood Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Redwood Hounds Visit Redwood Hounds's homepage! Find more posts by Redwood Hounds Add Redwood Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outlaw 3
UKC Forum Member

Benadryl is not harmful

I have to disagree with you on the Benadryl being bad for dogs. Of course you give them steroids and antibiotics when you have them readily available which I think I said as much in my post, but I am talking about being in the woods and not in a vet clinic. I think by the time the guy has the dog to the vet, they could take it from there.

When I worked for the Tennessee Dept. of Environment and Conservation, Benadryl was the only thing we were allowed to give hikers and tourists if they did get stung by bees, yellowjackets, or hornets or bitten by a snake or spider because its lack of negative side effects. When someone gets stung, they are injected with venom the severity of the side effects of each sting are dependent on the individuals allergic reaction. The same is the case with snake bites or so I've been taught.

"A bite from any venomous snake should be taken very seriously and immediate medical attention sought, as allergic reaction and secondary infection are always possible." I'd rather take steps against the allergic reaction than to assume it won't happen. If the only negative effect of Benadryl is it slows down the blood flow, then I would say mission accomplished since that is the first thing they tell you when you are bitten is to calm down and don't let your racing heart send the venom coursing through your body faster.

...but keep doing what you are doing if it works, I know I will continue to do the same thing that has worked for me. We have had as many as 6 dogs get bitten in one day, and so far we have not lost any dogs to a snake bite taking the steps I've described and I've never overdosed a dog or human on Benadryl.

The Dexamethazone is a steroid which is an immunosuppressant this helps control the bodies reaction to the venom. That is the same idea that is behind using antihistamines.

One of the main symptoms that you encounter with a dog or person that has been bitten is angioedema which is a rapid swelling of the subcutaneous tissue. This is treated by the use antihistamines (Benadryl), prednisolone (steroid), or adrenaline, depending on severity.

Old Post 05-07-2013 03:29 PM
SWAMPTICK BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Do u need a prescription for the Dexamethazone or is it something i can order? I appreciate everyones input on the subject it sounds like alot of dogs get bitten and not that many die. so thats a good thing

Old Post 05-08-2013 03:10 AM
mprice
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SWAMPTICK BLUES
Do u need a prescription for the Dexamethazone or is it something i can order? I appreciate everyones input on the subject it sounds like alot of dogs get bitten and not that many die. so thats a good thing

Dexamethazone / decadron is a presciption - but, it's a good idea to check with vet for dosage (3 - 5 cc of 4mg / ml seems about right for a dog).

Marc Price
Breaux Bridge, LA

Old Post 05-11-2013 07:37 PM
mprice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mprice Click here to Send mprice a Private Message Click Here to Email mprice Find more posts by mprice Add mprice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

I live in Mississippi and deal with snakes pretty regular. Normally I give them a lasics, ( fluid pill ) antibiotic, & fever reducer. All from the vet. Plus feed them raw bacon or lard. I started giving them the rattlesnake vaccine about 1 1/2 yrs ago. No trouble since! Had one get bit but never swelled. The shot I give covers 7 different toxcins. Rattlesnakes & pit vipers according to my vet. But I do give it every 6 months instead of once a year seeing as how the snakes are out in Ms from march thru October.

Old Post 05-31-2013 07:59 PM
Joseph A Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph A Clark Click here to Send Joseph A Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph A Clark Find more posts by Joseph A Clark Add Joseph A Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mprice
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Clark

I was not up to date on the snakebite vac. I'll call my vet tomorrow - can you give a ballpark price you pay for it?

Thanks!

Marc Price

Old Post 05-31-2013 09:45 PM
mprice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mprice Click here to Send mprice a Private Message Click Here to Email mprice Find more posts by mprice Add mprice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

I believe $20 or $25. He gave him one dose then went back a few weeks later for a second round then I've been doing every 6 months since. It's advertised for once a year after first 2 initial shots but my vet said as hard as I hunt and living where I do he reccomens every 6 months. I'd say I'd be the same for you since you live in La

Old Post 05-31-2013 10:22 PM
Joseph A Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph A Clark Click here to Send Joseph A Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph A Clark Find more posts by Joseph A Clark Add Joseph A Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mprice
UKC Forum Member

you're right about da swamp, she's here!

I'm only running one dog and we're only going out 3 or 4 times per week. We do have a couple spots that are pretty much dry - most of the time we're swampy. We see lots of cottonmouth moccasins in the wetland and a few canebreak rattlers in the dryer areas.

Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Marc Price

Old Post 06-01-2013 12:30 AM
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

Your welcome

Old Post 06-01-2013 04:58 AM
dozerman_2
UKC Forum Member

Vinegar

We had our first dog snake bit a couple of years ago. It was my wifes dog and of course she freaked out, but we put Cider Vinegar on it. You would have thought it was Peroxide we was put on her. It drew all the venemon out and she was ready to run the next morning.

Old Post 06-03-2013 12:16 AM
dozerman_2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dozerman_2 Click here to Send dozerman_2 a Private Message Click Here to Email dozerman_2 Find more posts by dozerman_2 Add dozerman_2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote