UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Problem Barking
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

So now, for the no-bark collars, it's a toss up between Garmin BarkLimiter Deluxe or the Dogtra YS600. I have read both positive and negative reviews on both brands.

What about remote trainers? Do these work just as good?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:46 AM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I'm assuming your talking about a system where you apply the correction.

In my opinion the answer is no simply because you need to be present to apply the correction. With the bark collars the correction happens wether you're there or not.

Brand is probably like choosing between GMC and Ford. My preference is Garmin (formerly Tri-Tronics) simply because they've been in the business the longest for canine electronic training devices. I know people who speak very highly of the Dogtra products as well.

Old Post 11-17-2019 02:45 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Well, 2 Garmin Bark Limiter Deluxe collars are on the way, and will be here Wednesday sometime. Will follow your guys' advice and let you know what happens.

Old Post 11-18-2019 06:38 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

We talked about young dogs eating bark collars off of each other if kenneled together...and I have kept two to four pups at times and have learned that they will chew off each otherís collars...and pretty quickly too...

I like putting adjustable collars on them starting at 12 was. or so...even the real cheap ones from Walmart...but nothing really worked...

Then one day I got an idea while at the hardware store... I bought about 8ft. of stainless 1/4Ē chain and enough quick links to make collars out of the chain for each pup...I have a bolt cutter and cut out some pieces of chain and made them to have about 2 extra links hanging for puppy growth... when I finally cut down to which I keep I save the stainless collars for the next use...collars on young pups come in handy for lease training and other uses...

Old Post 11-21-2019 03:11 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I've done that for years with my beagles. Bought Slip Check collars from a guy out in MO I believe that made them. Worked great for pups. I don't like using them once they mature though. Prefer the center ring Dayglo collars once I start hunting them.

Don't know if that guy is still making those collars or not.

Old Post 11-21-2019 04:52 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Still being made.

slipcheck.com

Old Post 11-21-2019 04:56 PM
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Would there be a way to connect the bark collar boxes to a chain collar? Would be a better idea to use a chain vs. that plastic that comes with the boxes from Garmin.

Old Post 11-28-2019 05:48 AM
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I hate a dog that has to wear a bark collar all the time, if they donít have enough sense to learn how to act around the house real quick like they arenít going to stay hear long. Seems like this kind is getting harder to find all the time though.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 11-28-2019 04:47 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

I was not planning to force my hounds to wear the collars all of the time. I want to know from DL NH, would it be possible to put chain on the Garmin bark collars instead of the plastic collars that come with them? They won't be able to chew off the chain...

Old Post 11-30-2019 12:02 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I am pretty sure that if you put two pups in a pen and they play it is going to shock one or both due to the vibrations. Iíd watch them very closely at first. Someone else has already mentioned that I believe.

Old Post 11-30-2019 02:23 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Oh I will. I am not taking this lightly.

Old Post 11-30-2019 02:28 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I would say no on attaching chain collar. The way the collar is made for one and secondly the adjustability factor f the chain collar. Also the chain would likely roll on the dogs neck which coul allow the transmitter or box to roll which likely would keep the contact points from making contact with the skin.

Personally, at the age these young dogs are now I'd separate them while you are trying to stop their barking. I would do this for several days without the collars activated. Leave the collars snug but not tight. When first introducing any training collar on my hounds, I'll put the deactivated collar on the dog for a week to 10 days. I'll fiddle around with the collar multiple times a day. Adjusting it, move it around put it on and off. This gets the dog use to having the collar fooled with. Then when you turn it on for real or need to adjust it they don't associate stimulation from the collar with something you've just done to the collar.

I'm sure others have different ideas that work as well but this has worked very well for me. If dog ever gets collar smart your done. They'll no it's the collar and be good while the collar is on but return to the unwanted behavior when it's off.

Old Post 12-01-2019 02:13 PM
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all of your advice. I will be using it on my hounds.

Old Post 12-01-2019 07:51 PM