UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Why would you want these things ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Andy2
UKC Forum Member

what do you think ?

Since beagles are scent hounds why would you want a tight mouth dog that doesnt give much mouth on track or breed for dogs that can only run a hot track. You hear things like only barks when rabbit is up and never barks out of place seeems to me if this is what we are striving for then maybe we are taking the beagle to the same way of the Irish Setter a non hunter. I believe it takes nose to jump and run a rabbit. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

Last edited by Andy2 on 11-26-2014 at 08:12 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2014 03:46 AM
Andy2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy2 Click here to Send Andy2 a Private Message Find more posts by Andy2 Add Andy2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jford228
UKC Forum Member

You want a tight mouth with a big nose. "brains". Takes a good nose to run a rabbit, takes a dog with brains to know how to control its mouth. There are dogs that have a tight mouth that can pour it on a track while the rabbit is up, and keep their mouth shut when the track is not run worthy. Owners dont sell those ones jmo

Old Post 11-26-2014 06:28 PM
jford228 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jford228 Click here to Send jford228 a Private Message Click Here to Email jford228 Find more posts by jford228 Add jford228 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big matt t.
UKC Forum Member

I only keep hounds that hold there mouth till rabbit is up. I dont fool with cold trailing boo whoing around its a waste of time and imo a worthless dog!! My hounds hav good noses (can run on snow and ice) and hav the brains to use there noses correctly!! Cant stand a cold trailor jmo lol!!

"We Hual With Owens Boxes"
GRCH GRHBCH White River Coal Miner
GRCH GRHBCH Weedeater Fire River Blessing (Gena)
GRCH GRHBCH Litttle Italy's Gracie Girl
Regestered National Ch. GRHBCH Hartleyville Grimm Ripper
HBCH Big T's Leo's Coal Trash
GRHBCH Huttons Big T's Rip Fuel
(And Coming Soon)
Whiteriver Awhole Lotta Trouble
Big T's Lucy In The Sky
Big T's Can't Get Right
Big T's Pretty Girl Zoey
( Temperary Home Of )
GRHBCH Buck Lake Lola (RIP OLD GIRL)

Old Post 11-27-2014 12:43 AM
big matt t. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big matt t. Click here to Send big matt t. a Private Message Click Here to Email big matt t. Find more posts by big matt t. Add big matt t. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Re: what do you think ?

quote:
Originally posted by Andy2
Since beagles are scent hounds why would you want a tight mouth dog that doesnt give much mouth on track or breed for dogs that can only run a hot track. You hear things like only barks when rabbit is up and never barks out of place seeems to me if this is what we are striving for then maybe we are taking the beagle to the same way of the Irish Setter a non hunter. I believe it takes nose to jump and run a rabbit. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

I like a hound that uses his mouth correctly. I dont mind a little mouth before its up but it better be close to being up. As far as "Taking the beagle to the same way as a Irish Setter Non hunter" being tight mouthed is totally different. A hound can be tight mouthed and have awesome hunt. Its the one who doesnt say anything and does nothing that is terrible.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-27-2014 02:55 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

It has been my experience that a dog with a "Big Nose " and a lot of drive ,will pop off on a bad tracking and a thin rabbit day. I have not given any of them I Q tests. 😂

Old Post 11-27-2014 04:24 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beagler/mike
UKC Forum Member

Re: what do you think ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy2
[B]Since beagles are scent hounds why would you want a tight mouth dog that doesnt give much mouth on track

Those tight mouth line slippers, excel in the H&H format.

Old Post 11-28-2014 11:37 PM
beagler/mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beagler/mike Click here to Send beagler/mike a Private Message Find more posts by beagler/mike Add beagler/mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote