UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > training
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

training

How old do you guys let a dog get before using a shock-collar on it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2014 02:11 AM
dminks17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dminks17 Click here to Send dminks17 a Private Message Find more posts by dminks17 Add dminks17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jford228
UKC Forum Member

5, 6 monthes at the earliest,

Old Post 10-23-2014 11:36 PM
jford228 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jford228 Click here to Send jford228 a Private Message Click Here to Email jford228 Find more posts by jford228 Add jford228 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lissaannjon
UKC Forum Member

mine has a collar from day one of walking it in the timber. when/if it decides to take the first deer I want to break it right then and there! I start taking mine for walks to explore between 3-4 months however that is the ONLY thing I would use it for that early

Old Post 10-25-2014 01:53 PM
lissaannjon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lissaannjon Click here to Send lissaannjon a Private Message Click Here to Email lissaannjon Find more posts by lissaannjon Add lissaannjon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

My pup is just over four months old and I have trouble getting her to stop hunting when I'm ready to go. Wanted to know how long I should wait before I can use a shocker to teach her that what I say goes. My mom is tired of me being late to school because of this.

Thanks for the great responses.

Old Post 10-25-2014 03:42 PM
dminks17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dminks17 Click here to Send dminks17 a Private Message Find more posts by dminks17 Add dminks17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Pettijohn
UKC Forum Member

You need to be very careful with shocking a young dog you can mess one up pretty fast if you are not careful. I have heard several guys say that the feel that they took hunt out of their dogs by shocking them to come in when they are hunting. Just something to think about. Good Luck.

GRCH GRHBCH Nodaway Valley Val
HBCH Nodaway Valley Dollar

Old Post 10-26-2014 02:12 AM
J Pettijohn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Pettijohn Click here to Send J Pettijohn a Private Message Click Here to Email J Pettijohn Find more posts by J Pettijohn Add J Pettijohn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

Yea that's one of the major concerns I had about it. I'm wondering if maybe for now I should only use the collar in non-hunting situations and be very careful about it still. What are your guys's thoughts on that? Again, thanks for the great responses and any advice is appreciated.

Old Post 10-26-2014 10:11 PM
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

Be careful not to shock any dog when it's barking on a hot rabbit track. Start on the lowest setting, using just enough to get the dog to listen. Momentary on the button then tone. Pretty soon you won't have to shock at all, just tone. 6 months is plenty old enough for the collar. Start out using a check cord first making sure the dog knows what "come" means. If the dog runs off game time it out 5 seconds on high. Be careful not to over handle, you could take the hunt out of them. Good luck, all the best.

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
HBCH GRCH Cherry Hill Blue Ribbon Best in Show Winner of the 1st McVay
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.
GRHBCH Gorman's Big Brassy
HBCH CH Gorman's Creek Jewel
CH Gorman's Princess Leia

"The more you think you know, the less you really know".

Old Post 10-26-2014 10:21 PM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

Jamey Gorman

Thanks for the help. When she turns 6months old I'll have to slowly start using the collar on her. I definitely won't shock her when she's running a rabbit (she's been running them since she was just over 2 months old). She'll be 5 months old next week and she's already showing a stubborn side.

Old Post 11-10-2014 01:37 AM
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

Your very welcome, Lets us all know how she's coming along.

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
HBCH GRCH Cherry Hill Blue Ribbon Best in Show Winner of the 1st McVay
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.
GRHBCH Gorman's Big Brassy
HBCH CH Gorman's Creek Jewel
CH Gorman's Princess Leia

"The more you think you know, the less you really know".

Old Post 11-10-2014 02:33 AM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

Last time I took her out she ran 3. Out of those three she I was able to shoot 2 after they circled. She's turning out pretty good for a $50 unregistered pup of unknown breeding. She's turning out so good that for awhile I was late to school every morning because I was hunting her. My mom didn't like that very much.

Old Post 11-10-2014 02:39 AM
thornie
UKC Forum Member

If you want to famailerize a pup to a shock collar, use a long line and call it to come to you. If it doesn't pull it to you and give a little treat. Do this for a while like 10-15 minutes a day if possible. Then once this happens, you cane practice with the tone button on the line. I have had great success this way.

Old Post 11-11-2014 10:52 AM
thornie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thornie Click here to Send thornie a Private Message Click Here to Email thornie Find more posts by thornie Add thornie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beagler/mike
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thornie
If you want to famailerize a pup to a shock collar, use a long line and call it to come to you. If it doesn't pull it to you and give a little treat. Do this for a while like 10-15 minutes a day if possible. Then once this happens, you cane practice with the tone button on the line. I have had great success this way.

That's the correct way to to do it. I use 40 foot check line on pups.

Old Post 11-11-2014 04:59 PM
beagler/mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beagler/mike Click here to Send beagler/mike a Private Message Find more posts by beagler/mike Add beagler/mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dminks17
UKC Forum Member

check cord.

OK I'll have to try that. Thanks guys.

Old Post 11-12-2014 01:07 AM