UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding questions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fogebotom
UKC Forum Member

Breeding questions

So, first post here but I've been reading the forum for some time and I'm a long time breeder of a different breed.

I've been mulling this for the last week after chatting with someone else about a breeding.

Why are coonhound people in general, show a reluctance to use things like progesterone testing, collection, shipping, frozen semen, AI?

My original breed has been utilizing this for over 35 years and was actually one of the first breeds to do a cross country frozen semen shipment. We have a small, relatively rare breed but a very dedicated breeder base.

Some of it's not hard at all. Under vet supervision, I've learned to collect my own stud dogs, AI doing side by side fresh collections and also collect and ship fresh chilled. We use both lab and in house progesterone(at the vet clinic). And I do have shipments sent to my vet for TCI and surgical implants.

The expense is minimal as compared to the long distance travel required to get bitches to the stud dogs(I know this for a fact). Stress on the female, missing a breeding window, lost work time, inability to use a dog due to the distance, sickness, etc.

Just very curious and greatly appreciate any comments either way. For stud dog owners it allows for the greater use of a dog. Female owners it gives you a lot more diversity to chose from.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2021 04:02 PM
fogebotom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fogebotom Click here to Send fogebotom a Private Message Find more posts by fogebotom Add fogebotom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I have had females progesterone tested when traveling far to have her bred where I might not be able to have her bred multiple times. I bought chilled semen and had it shipped with guaranteed breeding. Female didn’t take and guy never would make it right so that kinda burned me on that deal. Seems to be several dogs collect these days.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-11-2021 04:50 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fogebotom
UKC Forum Member

Agree, we all have issues with every type of breeding we try to do. Lots of it is luck of the draw. Had a fresh chilled AI produce 2 and a random why don't we breed her, produce 10. And also the exact reverse. Plus the misses.

While, yes I know of a few who do now collect, my question came from a frustrating situation in hounds a while back where I was pretty much met with blank stares when asked do you collect and ship? In my other breed if you aren't prepared to do that, you often get left by the wayside.

I currently have a close friend in my other breed, lives close to me and I was the first to use her stud dog. So now when he needs collected, he comes to my house, we collect and either have the female at my house and AI or collect to ship. My vet clinic at my request, started in house testing too. I've also started training my own males to collect, just in case. I keep coolers, extender and collection supplies on hand.

With contracts, either a puppy contract or stud contract, it's only as good as the people who sign it. Word of mouth on those that do or don't stand behind their dogs does a lot.

Old Post 10-11-2021 05:23 PM
fogebotom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fogebotom Click here to Send fogebotom a Private Message Find more posts by fogebotom Add fogebotom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

"Why are coonhound people in general, show a reluctance to use things like progesterone testing, collection, shipping, frozen semen, AI? "

I've bred every which way possible .....includeing collecting it myself and A.I.

My guess is lack of knowledge....(generally)
But I've haven't experienced the reluctance u speak of....
On the contrary.....

JME

Old Post 10-11-2021 06:01 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

1. Cost, this to me is the biggest reason.

2. Lack of experience caused by not breeding that many females. The overwhelming majority of Coonhound breeders are not professional breeders.

3. You can usually find a nice stud without traveling that far.

4. Lack of vets with experience in AI and frozen semen.

Now that is only what I have found.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-11-2021 at 07:07 PM

Old Post 10-11-2021 07:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Reluctance?

I don't see this reluctance you are mentioning.

Many are using frozen semen or chilled semen. When you do that, you are most certainly having your female progesterone tested.

I actually see it going more and more this way.

Old Post 10-12-2021 12:22 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Alot of people are reluctant because they they know a live cover is a Done Deal and its EASY.

There are alot of reasons ( many already listed) and one is they feel that anything besides a live cover is a "risky" investment and that could be because of >>>>>
- due to access to a vet that knows anything about reproductive services or one that actually promotes REPRODUCTION ( most these days just want to spay or neuter your dogs).
- bad experiences in the past or a friend had bad luck ( this could be due to ALOT of reasons )
- not knowledgeable enough to do it themselves or willing to learn
- taking advise from people who DONT KNOW and think they do.

I have been very blessed to have one of the best REPRODUCTIVE Vets in the country close to me and have learned a ton over the years from collection, inseminations (fresh,chilled,frozen), storage , controlled temp's in shipping, timing, tests, do's & dont's .

I know this, when you FAIL you learn ALOT. Its not enjoyable but you do learn and tend to REMEMBER and make the appropriate adjustments next time .

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 10-13-2021 03:42 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill

- due to access to a vet that knows anything about reproductive services or one that actually promotes REPRODUCTION ( most these days just want to spay or neuter your dogs).

I'd say this and cost are 2 biggest factors.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 10-13-2021 06:48 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

A lot of reasons posted, I also think the cost involved is a issue. The price of pet breeds and cross bred pets is way more profitable then one can get for top bred coonhounds. This game isn’t about making money, but you surely like to loose less then you need to.

Old Post 10-14-2021 12:15 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It makes sense to pay for all of that progesterone testing, semen shipping and AI if you are selling the pups for $1,000 to $5,000 each.

Old Post 10-14-2021 01:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by fogebotom
Agree, we all have issues with every type of breeding we try to do. Lots of it is luck of the draw. Had a fresh chilled AI produce 2 and a random why don't we breed her, produce 10. And also the exact reverse. Plus the misses.

While, yes I know of a few who do now collect, my question came from a frustrating situation in hounds a while back where I was pretty much met with blank stares when asked do you collect and ship? In my other breed if you aren't prepared to do that, you often get left by the wayside.

I currently have a close friend in my other breed, lives close to me and I was the first to use her stud dog. So now when he needs collected, he comes to my house, we collect and either have the female at my house and AI or collect to ship. My vet clinic at my request, started in house testing too. I've also started training my own males to collect, just in case. I keep coolers, extender and collection supplies on hand.

With contracts, either a puppy contract or stud contract, it's only as good as the people who sign it. Word of mouth on those that do or don't stand behind their dogs does a lot.

Just curious, what is your other Breed?

Old Post 10-14-2021 03:51 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It makes sense to pay for all of that progesterone testing, semen shipping and AI if you are selling the pups for $1,000 to $5,000 each.

Richard,
Not Necessarily.
Depends on what "semen" your shipping AND what kind of "Ai" you are referring to ....?

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 10-14-2021 06:11 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Years ago I used PG600 to bring a fuel grand female into heat that was supposedly never able to breed again and hadn't come in heat naturally for a couple years. (I forget exactly how long now). PG600 wasn't labeled for dogs but the female was up in years anyway. A nothing to lose situation. From the resulting heat and breeding 2 pups were born. Several months later the female came in heat naturally again and another litter was born. In that second litter came female who would grow up to be UKC world show champion Cinderella.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 10-24-2021 01:39 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

WHY DONT THEY DO ALL THAT TO THOROUGHBRED HORSES

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 10-24-2021 04:01 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
WHY DONT THEY DO ALL THAT TO THOROUGHBRED HORSES
Mares are in heat every month, bitches aren't.

Old Post 10-24-2021 04:50 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote