UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Hunters Most Important Resource!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunters Most Important Resource!

I think we sometimes get caught up in the results from our journeys so much that we overlook what makes the journey successful.

We can read post after post on here about the pup we are training, the coon hunt we are going to. The coon club your fixing grow into a stronger club. Everything we do evolves around one thing. The Raccoon! That one critter determines the success or failure of our adventures. I don't care how great your dog is, without a Coon in the area it isn't going to tree one.

Coon populations vary across the vast hunting lands of the US. Some people live in locations that coon seem to be everywhere while others struggle to find them. The coon populations can also change from year to year in an area. Weather conditions and sickness in the coon population has a lot to do with this.

All the young men and women wanting to get into coonhunting want to know which dog and how to train it. I suggest you spend some time learning about the coon in your area. What it feeds on during different times of the year. The most successful hunters of any game, know where the game is located at different times of the year. Learn about feed times and how the coon in your area travel.

Being older perhaps I have become more Thankful when things are going good and I have learned to appreciate the good times when they are happening. Right now we have an excellent coon population. We have a few spots that seeing 5 coon in an hour hunt is becoming the norm. I am starting to enjoy putting cast in coon and having a winner with several coon seen than actually having the winning dog.
Harvesting coon and the success of your coon population depends on where your at. Two nights ago Corey got invited to a bird plantation to hunt and they always want them harvested. Took 4 in an hour and got the pups a good workout. Thing is if the pictures were shown on social media, many would say your ruining the population. What is not shown is all the trapping these places do to remove coon. They run 20 to 50 traps pay someone to check them, so when we are invited to go out and harvest some of their coon we feel Blessed and only take a small portion of what is being harvested everyday.

Back to my point. The new comers to the sport. Learn about the coon in your area. Put conservation measures in place to grow your coon population if needed. Conservation measures may also mean harvesting at the right level. The total success of training a dog, having fun and having successful hunts depend on the coon population. Enjoy and respect the coon and be Thankful for the enjoyment they bring to us.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-25-2017 04:40 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Good post. We are lucky on this area and with the mild winter, survival rates should boom.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 03-25-2017 04:53 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yep

Good post Bruce!!

Old Post 03-25-2017 05:06 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blueallmylife
UKC Forum Member

Great post...

Here in this part of SW Virginia our population has been decent this year. What concerns me however, is that a lot of the young hunters in our area base how good a hunt was by the number of Coon they can line up on a tailgate and post the picture on Facebook!

Old Post 03-25-2017 07:44 PM
Blueallmylife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blueallmylife Click here to Send Blueallmylife a Private Message Click Here to Email Blueallmylife Find more posts by Blueallmylife Add Blueallmylife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Good post Bruce

Old Post 03-25-2017 08:40 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turman
UKC Forum Member

We've always had good numbers around here regardless of how many we took. Two years ago mother nature decided that distemper would show its ugly face. It's changed the way we harvest coons. The numbers will come back fast but it's been tough after a lot of years being spoiled with loads of coon.

Old Post 03-25-2017 08:50 PM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Great Post. A dead coon leaves no track, never climbs a tree again. I hunt with several different mind set guys, one kill everyone you tree. Reasoning that makes better dogs. ????? One friend NEVER carries a gun. Me, I am pretty selective on which ones are knocked out, even in season. But I stand by what I have thought for 60 yrs. If I have to kill a lot to make them tree or to keep them treeing, you might be shooting the wrong animal. IMO Again Bruce good job.

Old Post 03-25-2017 09:59 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

if where lucky we can tree one every other night

Old Post 03-26-2017 12:58 AM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion here in north ga coons are as plentiful as I have seen..I catch one the first night every time I set a trap to relocate them where I can train my pup..but just like blueallmylife said..younger kids around here will kill as many as they can every night they go and post pictures showing them off..I am just now getting back into the sport from a break I decided to take and even when I was hunting every night I might shoot one out a month just to keep my dog fired up...good post..

Old Post 03-26-2017 02:15 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ruger
UKC Forum Member

No coons in pa

In NE Pennsylvania the coon population is very low you would be lucky to have your dog on a chase or tree anything also trapping sucks here because we are overrun by so many dam deer there are no predators here to get them you almost never find coon tracks anywhere pa in my opinion sucks for coon hunting.

Old Post 03-26-2017 05:46 AM
Ruger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ruger Click here to Send Ruger a Private Message Find more posts by Ruger Add Ruger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Redbone hunter 69

Come to sw Pa. we got lots of coon... We do have small wood lots that make it difficult if you have a dog with no reverse.

Bruce, thanks for your thread here. Well thought out and well written. I think selective harvest is best. If your hunting spots are full of coon, you should take some out to prevent starvation and possible spread of disease. (seen it,it ain't pretty) Mother nature is a cruel mother. If they are thin, tree em and leave em. Simple concept to help all concerned.

God Bless you all and best of luck with your hounds.

Old Post 03-26-2017 12:36 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Ive been easy on my hunting for the last three years and the coon are thick maybe to thick starting to get some complaints for some land owners. The 10 years prior i killed a min of 80 a year probably killed less then 30 the last three

Old Post 03-26-2017 02:25 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Coon population in Iowa should be high,not a lot of trappers out,and with 3-4 dollar average who could blame them. About every three years I try to take a few more just to reset the population a bit.. The last time I did this I took 220 coon with in a four mile radius of my house... and didn't hurt the numbers at all...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 03-26-2017 03:02 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote