UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? for old timers
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Over population will be the downfall of hunting for most people.50 years is a long time.At the rate things are going down hill its scary to think how it will be in 10 yrs,or 20.If you want to do something id say vote republican.Only chance to maybe and i say maybe stop every body in the world from immigrating to the USA.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-12-2022 12:49 AM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Guess I wasn't brought up, My Dads better then your Dad?

I hunted in the 50's with a guy who had curs and I had grade hounds. Never once did we compare "dogs". We did it for the friendship and the furs. The 60's a bunch of us would get together around a fire and listen to a pack run a red fox and again it was for the music and the BS that flew. Then the 70's I hunted with a guy who had Black and Tans and I had Blueticks and we had fun, music and a friendship that lasted until this spring when I went to his final resting place.

As far as doing something to the best of my ability??? With everyone carrying a video taking pocket phone with them and not smart enough to know what not to post, there's not a darn thing I can do to stop the idiots that are going to get hound hunting stopped!!

But you are in the right business because it wouldn't be long where all there will be is "talk" what hound hunting was like.

Old Post 05-12-2022 12:50 PM
OLD TIMER is online now Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Guess I wasn't brought up, My Dads better then your Dad?

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
I hunted in the 50's with a guy who had curs and I had grade hounds. Never once did we compare "dogs". We did it for the friendship and the furs. The 60's a bunch of us would get together around a fire and listen to a pack run a red fox and again it was for the music and the BS that flew. Then the 70's I hunted with a guy who had Black and Tans and I had Blueticks and we had fun, music and a friendship that lasted until this spring when I went to his final resting place.

As far as doing something to the best of my ability??? With everyone carrying a video taking pocket phone with them and not smart enough to know what not to post, there's not a darn thing I can do to stop the idiots that are going to get hound hunting stopped!!

But you are in the right business because it wouldn't be long where all there will be is "talk" what hound hunting was like.

Dogs have been compared since man domesticated them no doubt. There were coursing competitions during the height of the Roman Empire. The first coursing club in England was founded in 1776, and the first AKC pointing dog competitions in the United States were only 100 years later. There have been coonhound trials at least since the 1920's, possibly earlier.

Just because you and your friend did not enjoy comparing dogs it does not mean that many of us shouldn't. As a matter of fact that is essentially why this forum is here.

I don't personally care how someone wants to enjoy hunting with hounds. Whether they are staring at a screen, listening around a campfire for "friendship and furs", or traveling to a hunt making TikTok videos. I'm just glad people do it, and support it.

There's really no wrong way to enjoy hunting with hounds.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 05-12-2022 at 06:52 PM

Old Post 05-12-2022 06:48 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the history lesson--

WOW, and to think with all those years of competing there are still dogs that fight at the tree, run tracks backwards and the best are those that can't find the right tree!! What then has really been accomplished with all those 100's of years of "comparing"???
I just wish I could ask those early "comparing hunters" how they like this new model.
But then I guess there's no wrong way to compare as long as you enjoy.

Old Post 05-12-2022 09:15 PM
OLD TIMER is online now Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Human nature... Henry Ford is quoted as saying the first automobile race happened 5 minutes after the second Model T rolled off the assembly line.

Old Post 05-12-2022 10:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

So King—

did you take first or second???

Old Post 05-12-2022 10:59 PM
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thanks for the history lesson--

quote:
WOW, and to think with all those years of competing there are still dogs that fight at the tree, run tracks backwards and the best are those that can't find the right tree!! What then has really been accomplished with all those 100's of years of "comparing"???
I just wish I could ask those early "comparing hunters" how they like this new model.
But then I guess there's no wrong way to compare as long as you enjoy.

Dogs will back track, slick tree and fight at trees until the end of time. You seem to have an issue with young people or with competition, or perhaps anyone that doesn't share your narrow perspective. I'm not sure which one. How about you enjoy dogs your way and let other people enjoy their way. Your way isn't the only way.

Old Post 05-13-2022 12:11 AM
Leatherwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leatherwood Click here to Send Leatherwood a Private Message Find more posts by Leatherwood Add Leatherwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

No problem with young hunters-

in fact I like to hunt with the younger bunch because I don't have to smell Bengay all night.

Do have a problem with dogs that fight. Never seen it in the 50s-60s but did start to see it in the nite hunts starting in the 70s. And then at breed days in the 90s seen the biggest darn fight between to males from the same kennel that the owner wouldn't show and he did win the World Show one year with his line.

Competition?? Didn't have a problem with that when it was a competition to see who was the fastest track running hound, who would tree first out of the 4 hounds. But this walking to a single dog, to me with my "narrow perspective", doesn't show me who has the fastest track dog. And so me with my "narrow perspective" doesn't believe that the hunts are showing the best trailing, locating and treeing hound but without a doubt it does award the "most points". That's the new game in town and that is way,
"Dogs will back track, slick tree and fight at trees until the end of time" I guess I was lucky enough to hunt back when they didn't.

PS: those 3 things are a fault in my eyes, There will never be 2 fights with one wearing my collar, better have a high percentage 80-90 when treed and the backtracking best stop fast also. A young pup all excited may screw up once or twice, but after that no more excuses.

Old Post 05-13-2022 02:47 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

What’s that old saying……………follow the money?

You wouldn’t be seeing the changes that have occurred in todays hounds if there wasn’t money involved. It really is that simple. Take the money out of it and see what happens in 10 years.

Old Post 05-13-2022 03:38 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

To the original question about finding dogs today with electronics that we perhaps would have lost years ago. Had a guy make that statement last night. Our water in these swamps has went away fast and it seems these coon have also. Conditions are hard right now. Dogs covered a lot of ground and finally found one a long ways from us and its track took it even further away. I sure didn't enjoy the track because at a mile out, I just can't hear the dogs anymore. My grandson kept telling me the dog was barking. I would ask do you hear him and he would say every now but the bark indicatior says he is barking. I said don't go by that thing and listen for the dog. Lol. About ten minutes later. I was turning the bark indicator on my handheld. So I could see them barking as I sure couldn't hear anything. I am glad the young guys are enjoying this sport. But they do have a different perspective on what is going on using the electronics. Over an old guy using his ears. Sometimes trying to teach them old ways is frustrating. My grandson was testing out the new pathfinder and kept saying how nice it was working. That frustrated me also as I am a hardcore Garmin Fan. But the truth is. Just like the dogs of today are nice. So is the new Pathfinder. The best part of last night is I had a 11 month old out there that is a pretty wound up pup. She went about a mile out circled around and came back. Maybe barked once or twice at something. No trash was chased and that was good. Tuesday night we must have seen a dozen deer and several Diller's and possums moving. Last night nothing. They must have stayed home talking about the old days.

Old Post 05-13-2022 01:23 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I definitely WOULD NOT want to go back to having no track and train GPS system. These present day systems make it so that the majority of us, I believe, can go home at the end of our hunt with hounds in tow as much as 99% of the time.

I do strongly believe they have also influenced the way breeding decisions are made. Some of those decisions adversely effect many who are pleasure hunters first and enter hounds in competition events on occasion just to see how what’s on the end of their leash measures up to those of others.

Old Post 05-13-2022 02:37 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Re: No problem with young hunters-

quote:
in fact I like to hunt with the younger bunch because I don't have to smell Bengay all night.

Do have a problem with dogs that fight. Never seen it in the 50s-60s but did start to see it in the nite hunts starting in the 70s. And then at breed days in the 90s seen the biggest darn fight between to males from the same kennel that the owner wouldn't show and he did win the World Show one year with his line.

Competition?? Didn't have a problem with that when it was a competition to see who was the fastest track running hound, who would tree first out of the 4 hounds. But this walking to a single dog, to me with my "narrow perspective", doesn't show me who has the fastest track dog. And so me with my "narrow perspective" doesn't believe that the hunts are showing the best trailing, locating and treeing hound but without a doubt it does award the "most points". That's the new game in town and that is way,
"Dogs will back track, slick tree and fight at trees until the end of time" I guess I was lucky enough to hunt back when they didn't.

PS: those 3 things are a fault in my eyes, There will never be 2 fights with one wearing my collar, better have a high percentage 80-90 when treed and the backtracking best stop fast also. A young pup all excited may screw up once or twice, but after that no more excuses.

x2

Old Post 05-13-2022 06:10 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rockcreek21
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hounds hunted like hounds—-

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
You got that right....on everything you said.
I watch Videos of these young guys out in a Rain Storm or in 7 inches of snow......LOL
Not too smart in my eyes and they will say Old Duke blasted thru & was 700 yards in 15 seconds, and are 8 for 8 in 1 hour.....LOL
Tim

I fail to see how thats a problem. if ol duke will blow in there and tree 8 in an hour hes a helluva lot better than ol blue muddin around and comin up with 1 in an hour. and if ol duke did it in 7 inches of snow, even better!

Old Post 05-15-2022 03:26 PM
rockcreek21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rockcreek21 Click here to Send rockcreek21 a Private Message Find more posts by rockcreek21 Add rockcreek21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by A House Cat
“Reward” is over rated.
Dogs are bred to do what they do naturally without fur in the mouth. Just a little praise is good enough imo. You ask me why? Think about this.
A bloodhound is trained to track human scent. Do you feed them a human leg when they did good lol?

I think finding and treeing the coon is the reward, knocking the coon out for a hot race to another tree is icing on the cake…

Bloodhounds;
They do cull bloodhounds just like they do coonhounds…The prison system used to turn a few trustees loose and give them a head start and they were told to find a place where the dogs can’t reach them before the dogs found them…years ago that’s how it was in the state of Texas penitentiary system but the rules might be different nowadays…

Old Post 05-16-2022 02:13 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I think finding and treeing the coon is the reward, knocking the coon out for a hot race to another tree is icing on the cake

I can agree for the most part with the first part of your above statement. I learned the hard way many years ago the shake out and rerun thing is a darn good way to ruin a good young prospect. NEVER, EVER would I do that again.
That can turn an otherwise solid stay put tree dog into a dog that trees for a few minutes, gets down off the tree to check for the track going out and then goes back to treeing again. They’ll repeat this over and over until they’re either tied back or led away from the tree.

I’ve seen this happen to a number of good young prospects. Thankfully, I learned my lesson after the first one.

Old Post 05-17-2022 03:26 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I stand corrected…thanks

Old Post 05-17-2022 03:39 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

shake out

Walk with wick books is how I learned to hunt. He agreed with DL NH. Never ever re-run a coon , also hope like hell the coon will not bail out of the tree. Another point I would like to mention concerning the post. I am a Very Non-competitive person , I am out to have a good time , like "old timer" mentioned here. If your dog shows up my dog , I'm glad I got to see a great hound do his thing. My view on competition hunt is, Where else can you get a guided hunt for a 20 to 40 dollar entry fee.

Old Post 05-17-2022 08:32 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote