UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > balanced hound
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

balanced hound

So if I had a hound that didn't hunt , will not track and therefore does not tree, wouldn't that be a balanced hound.. got ya

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2023 06:17 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Na that is a cull

Old Post 06-07-2023 05:17 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

no cull shelter

If I have a cull it is my own fault. I did the research. I picked the breeder who I will buy a top quality pup from. I provided the best possilble environment for the pup I purchased. I got it out into the woods so the pups natural instincts will take over. Therefore I take full responsibility for the pup and will feed and raise it like one of my kids. You don't cull your kids even thou there are times you wish you could. My current pup is from Red Fever Redbones , 1 year old, took it to a ukc show last weekend and had several people tell me what a beautiful pup and excellent mouth it had. Alot of natural hunting ability. Very happy with it.

Old Post 06-08-2023 07:18 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Too each there own. I refuse to look at my pups as such and I certainly cull them if need be. Last thing I'm going to do is waste my time on one that doesn't make the cut.

Old Post 06-08-2023 02:20 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

u r right

It cost just as much to raise a winner as it does a loser

Old Post 06-10-2023 06:06 AM
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

keeper?

I had a B&T that you had to drag off the tree and usually she tried to drag you back to the tree. Never left a tree but her tracking was not the best , kept her 9 years. My current redbone was 4 years younger but did not like to grab onto a coon on the ground. Would not put enough pressure on the coon to make it climb. Both hounds were not perfect, but they made a heck of a good team for 5 years. Extremely nice long bawl mouth chop on tree , and loud.

Old Post 06-10-2023 06:10 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

So Black Ash??

What would you do with the first dog you described, the one that doesn't do anything??

Old Post 06-13-2023 02:04 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

example

I never had one that bad, it was just an example. If I did have one like that , the first time it had to go to the vet and cost more money I would have to bury it. My worst hound was a B&T I bought from Kuester in rhinelander. They are mostly big game hounds, old fashion , long ear with a 30 inch tip to tip. You probably heard of them being from minnesota. I'm talking 1985. I bought her for coon, but she was slow , beautiful bawl mouth, My first hound so I was probably to blame. After that hound I really did my reseach , Looked thru my B&T yearbook and seen all the hounds that were bred by Art Hunziker. I went down to Illinois and picked up 2 pups. My hunting buddy at the time, Who hunted many years and his dad hunted coon also. He was just amazed at what natural born coon hunters these 2 dogs were. There were alot of people hunting that line of hounds. But with the competition hunts not favoring cold nose hounds, this line of hounds is pretty hard to find. My favorite hound is the redbone that is 7 right now. Outlaw / moonlight breeding, all grand litter. Beautiful bawl mouth, and very accurate , I'm talking 90 percent of the time I see the coon, Be a big bow hunter , I only hunt from late november until the mesquitos get too bad. And this dog has only had 1 coon shot out to her in 7 years, I do not carry a gun. My hunting buddy mentioned earlier told me one day he wanted to shot one more coon in his life yet. That night I took him out and we got that coon for him. Thats the rest of the story.

Old Post 06-14-2023 10:00 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Funny how somethings work--

We bought a pup from Bobbie and Ed out of their Catfish hound. We ran mostly coyote with him, but he was a natural on coon. He was fast, outstanding cold nose and what a voice. Had an old hunter say, "he is better at 10 months then most hounds are at 3 and 4 years of age" Got to hunt with Eddie and Terry up there on bear. Beautiful music those long ear biscuit eaters could make. The Limber Lost blood is still going, some in WI and PA.

Any way, glad with your answer to my question.

Old Post 06-15-2023 07:33 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote