UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking ability?
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Didn’t have all these problems till we got stylish Harry in our pedigrees.

Last night was elmbuditus.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2020 01:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Didn’t have all these problems till we got stylish Harry in our pedigrees.

Last night was elmbuditus.

Tar

Google doesn't have elmbuditus as a known word, so was last night good or bad?

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:01 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Two elm trees with nothing but elm buds then I lost my composure and like majic treeing a coon seemed easy lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:06 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Elm-bud-i-tus, a term used to describe the correction of a dog that trees slick on elm trees

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:16 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Donald Bergeron

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I think you know where she got from if the mom and dad both were good track dogs! You may need to make that cross again, we need more good track dogs. JS. dave

That cross will never be made again, I'm sorry to say. My son was on vacation, so Donald checked on the mother, and found her unresponsive. He took her to the vet, and they removed the pups (12 of them) Doing so, the vet had to spade her. She stayed at the vet for a week. 11 pups were bottle raised, only one died and that was the first night.

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:20 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Corey and I have littermate sisters they get in too much trouble together.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 02:22 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Corey and I have littermate sisters they get in too much trouble together.

Tar

Mine treed on an island that had one tree on it, it leaned across the creek into several empty trees, I mentality gave her minus. Leading her across the creek, she opened, I mentality gave her more minus. Climbing up the creek bank, she goes up on a tree and opens so I mentality minus her again. On top of the creek bank she leads very poorly through a patch of Briars and my hand got cut up so I mentality gave her more minus. I had mentality minused out so I went home

Old Post 04-02-2020 03:43 PM
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Yadkintar

Yes most of them are more intelligent and or have the abilities to control their adrenaline so they may think.

Other than that Scent aggression is what makes the difference in track Dogs. Scent aggression is what makes a Hound Rig as well. The level of aggression a Hound has towards scent is reflective of how hard a Hound will stay tracking for it.

With this information, we can raise any Hounds level of scent aggression by lightly using Rig Dog Training as it is the same mechanism. This equals raising Track depth!!!

I use what I call a scent box so I may raise scent aggression on all of my Hounds and marry belief in their Nose (the foundation to winding accuracy) in a manner that mimics how all Wild k-9 preditors learn it naturally.

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 04-02-2020 at 08:28 PM

Old Post 04-02-2020 08:24 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I can agree with that Willy. Do you think some lines are easier to make fit the mold than others.

Tar

Old Post 04-02-2020 08:35 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Treeing Accuracy

I don't believe that you can teach a dog to locate accurately if they don't have ability to know a coon is there.
And I have seen plenty of outstanding track dogs that would stop and rest when the game did and track again when the game got rested up and ran again. This often happens with coon, bear and coyote dogs. They just won't close the few yards of distance.
Some of the aggressive coon dog strains will kill a 60# dog, but couldn't kill a 15# coon in a week.

I agree with Willys training techniques in general. I bought his book and video.

You can make a house fly if you put a big enough propeller on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean its is a good idea.

Old Post 04-03-2020 01:34 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

WildWilly...I like your perceptions when it comes to understanding dogs...

Here is how I see it which is similar to your ways...but first I will say this...when I was a kid each time I was sick with a stomach ache or fever the first thing I was given was a 7 up to drink and at that time I sure didn’t want it and still don’t care for it...I loved ice cream but only got a little on account I had 8 other siblings...so I always was ready for a bowl of ice cream and still am...lol

So I use those learnings in my puppy training or sessions ...I don’t spend much time training just mainly exposing...just short and high quality sessions...

I also use hunger and treats in my favor because I have their attention because they are ready and competing to get the treat first or the most...

I also look for natural ability just in case I want to breed one at some point but just as important I want the best hunting dog possible...we can learn a lot about a pup by raising our own litters which is my favorite way...

I teach the pups to really like meat treats...early in the morning I walk up to the kennel from the upwind side so they can smell what I have and always before feeding... they can smell the treats as I give them attention they can lick my fingers...then I will give each pup a treat...repeat two more mornings...I take my time because I want them winding the treats...the fourth day I walk up to them and they smell the treats...I walk out about 20 or so feet from the kennel and scatter the treats strategically so they can wind from the kennel and the treats are scattered for two reasons...I then back away for a few minutes and observe pups for a little bit... I am looking for the one or two pups that are locked in on the scent in the wind...I then open the gate and sic and hiss the pups but first I look to see if a pup didn’t need encouragement to go...I sic the pups and watch them go...some take to it like a duck takes to water...others just need a little guidance...I see how they circle and locate...the best pups always perform the best each time...

I follow the same process when they are about 4 months old...I stage a wild pig in the woods about 50 yards in the woods and mark exactly where the wind is crossing the trail...I then drive with the pups tied in the buggy or truck bed and watch for natural winding...I then fire them up where I know they have the scent and turn them loose...my priority is looking for natural instinct and ability first...and exposing pups to these conditions when they want it most is always taken into consideration...I do not do these things in the heat of the day...I don’t do it when they just got through eating...I do not do it when they just got through playing had...I want them fully engaged with lots of want to in them and that is what I want in my favor...it is a form of Epigenetics...Epigenetics can be a positive or a negative...common sense tells us the right way...

While creating and performing these scenarios all the pups will benefit which is great...but I am looking for natural ability...

Last edited by Reuben on 04-03-2020 at 02:10 AM

Old Post 04-03-2020 01:57 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I do believe a smart hound has a better chance of being a top track dog. If a hound catches old coon in waist high soybeans after running them for an hour or so their a decent track dog. Only had one in 50 years of coon hunting. He did it on a regular basis.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 04-03-2020 03:47 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

track dogs

I'm no expert but I've owned and trained a few pretty good dogs in my time.You can pretty much tell what kind of a track dog he'll be at a really young age.The first time he hits a red hot track,if he takes it and tries to drive it,he may spend a lot of time running over it but that will take care of it's self in time.If he takes it and starts booing and trailing it he'll die booing and trailing.He may improve some but he'll always be a trailing dog with few exceptions.You take a young dog ,regardless of age ,six months or twenty months the first time he tree's a red hot track alone he will hold as much pressure as he will at five years old.You don't have to drag hides all over and hang them in tree's to get them to tree.If people would quit breeding these man made dogs and breed for natural ability you would see a big difference in the quality of dogs.Just think, you don't have to drag deer hides around to get dogs to run them and they've never caught one.A beagle that's never seen a rabbit will run one,it's natural.All you have to do is pick the lines that have natural track driving and treeing ability.

Old Post 04-03-2020 05:04 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: track dogs

quote:
Originally posted by oldsouth123
I'm no expert but I've owned and trained a few pretty good dogs in my time.You can pretty much tell what kind of a track dog he'll be at a really young age.The first time he hits a red hot track,if he takes it and tries to drive it,he may spend a lot of time running over it but that will take care of it's self in time.If he takes it and starts booing and trailing it he'll die booing and trailing.He may improve some but he'll always be a trailing dog with few exceptions.You take a young dog ,regardless of age ,six months or twenty months the first time he tree's a red hot track alone he will hold as much pressure as he will at five years old.You don't have to drag hides all over and hang them in tree's to get them to tree.If people would quit breeding these man made dogs and breed for natural ability you would see a big difference in the quality of dogs.Just think, you don't have to drag deer hides around to get dogs to run them and they've never caught one.A beagle that's never seen a rabbit will run one,it's natural.All you have to do is pick the lines that have natural track driving and treeing ability.

I've seen a couple deer get caught before. And 1 night it happened 2017 pic world hunt Thursday night, Doyle caught a 7 point buck in a dry creek bed about 300 yards from the cast. I won't say it happens a lot of often but I've seen it more than once.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-03-2020 06:54 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I've seen a couple deer get caught before. And 1 night it happened 2017 pic world hunt Thursday night, Doyle caught a 7 point buck in a dry creek bed about 300 yards from the cast. I won't say it happens a lot of often but I've seen it more than once.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-03-2020 06:54 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

track dogs

Ok,so that's one or two in a lifetime of hunting.How many thousands of turn out's do you reckon that equals.

Old Post 04-03-2020 02:10 PM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

track dogs

I wonder how many deer hides he had to drag around to get him to run that deer.I've seen a world of dogs that couldn't even push a jumped deer. A lot of hunters think if a dog is barking a lot he's flying.Truth is the amount of barking and track speed have nothing in common.From what I've seen the last few years,a lot of hunters have never hunted with an outstanding track dog.Yes,there's a few out there but they're not as common as many think.There's some that move a track around pretty good but I don't want a dog that's trying to tree coons,I want him running his heart out to catch and kill him,before he can get to a tree.

Old Post 04-03-2020 02:31 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Two elm trees with nothing but elm buds then I lost my composure and like majic treeing a coon seemed easy lol.

Tar

Once you had regained your composure did your squaller stick still work or did you knock the reeds out of it

Old Post 04-03-2020 02:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm thinking Tar's new stick squaller is going to improve all dog's accuracy.

Old Post 04-03-2020 02:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Once you had regained your composure did your squaller stick still work or did you knock the reeds out of it

It was amazing just having around my neck seemed to help. I seen the coon before I got to the tree. It’s the length you cut the stick you just show it to your dog before you cut them loose you couldn’t ask her to have run that track any faster. Almost could see that yadkin river come out in her lol.

Never even got to use it.

Tar

Old Post 04-03-2020 03:00 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I wonder how many deer hides he had to drag around to get him to run that deer.I've seen a world of dogs that couldn't even push a jumped deer. A lot of hunters think if a dog is barking a lot he's flying.Truth is the amount of barking and track speed have nothing in common.From what I've seen the last few years,a lot of hunters have never hunted with an outstanding track dog.Yes,there's a few out there but they're not as common as many think.There's some that move a track around pretty good but I don't want a dog that's trying to tree coons,I want him running his heart out to catch and kill him,before he can get to a tree.

No hides needed for him. He sight chased anything and everything that ran from him. Sad part is he got squashed in the road at 3 yrs old. And at 3 he was just starting to calm down a bit.I've seen 2 other dogs catch deer but not like the 7 or buck incident.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-03-2020 03:09 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

If y’all ever want to listen to a mans advice this is the man. He set the standred for the traits that I look for in a dog today. You would be surprised to know who this is. He is a well known breeder.

Tar

Old Post 04-03-2020 03:55 PM
GES
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: track dogs

quote:
If y’all ever want to listen to a mans advice this is the man. He set the standred for the traits that I look for in a dog today. You would be surprised to know who this is. He is a well known breeder.

Tar

Interesting....and you are still using a switch to get your dog to improve accuracy and tree a coon.

Old Post 04-03-2020 04:46 PM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: track dogs

quote:
Originally posted by GES
Interesting....and you are still using a switch to get your dog to improve accuracy and tree a coon.

They all need a tune up once in a while never owned one that didn’t. That includes a $$$ world champ !! Anybody tells you they got a perfect one is blowing smoke up your eeee awwww !!

Tar

Old Post 04-03-2020 04:57 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: track dogs

quote:

Tar

I guess I'm hard headed. But I know what I saw and so do the other guys on that cast. And so do my buddies that saw too. I don't have 30 or 50 or 65 years following hounds. But I don't take anything on this site or Fakebook too serious. But what I do know is there's more than a few people that need to open their minds up a little. Been told on here for a few years now that dogs can't hunt faster 4 mph. Been told on here that the dogs of today aren't as good, that the pack dogs of yesteryear were great dogs. But you had to wait until they were 2 years old for them to tree coon if they could tree coons. And the list can go on and on.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 04-04-2020 02:20 AM