UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tree dog question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Tree dog question

Hunting last night and got to thinking about this. Would you rather have a dog that only treed when he was sure he had the coon or one that would gamble once in a while when he can't make the track go anywhere? (I know someone will tell me that a real dog will always know and not have to gamble but most of us have never even seen that dog much less owned him)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-02-2020 08:01 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I prefer the ones that doesn't mess with the tracks they might have to gamble on. There's so many coons anymore I just don't see any value in banging around on a dead end track unnecessarily.

Old Post 08-02-2020 08:19 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I can’t stand a ground pounder, so I’d rather a dog get treed or quit that track and find one he can tree. I’m in Iowa though and we have a good coon population so there’s no reason for a dog to take all night to tree one.

Old Post 08-02-2020 08:20 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Hunt a still mouth dog, most of them are deadly accurate, but personally I prefer and "all around" hound that cane strike a track any where and has the brains an ability to get it out and located accurately. They all miss, but some are worse than others.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 08-02-2020 08:23 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

So, Bob basically what you're asking is, if my dog is 800 yards deep struggling with a bad track, would I rather he just grab any tree or come in. I'm 77 years old and if he's going to make me walk through 800 yards of snake filled swamps to check his "gamble",I would just as soon he back to the truck. There are accurate dogs that know what they're doing.

Last edited by shadinc on 08-02-2020 at 09:36 PM

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:01 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

X2, I agree 100 percent with your post, yes that type of dog is not common, but they exist. I have owned and hunted them and you never are satisfied with less. Preacher Tom asked what we prefer and that's the kind of dog I want, but reality is that we do not always get what we want in anything, much less a dog. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:28 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

It's interesting how we like different kinds of dogs, I'm probably really old school and remember the time in the 70's when you could hunt all night to strike one track. I still like the dog that will take a really bad track and figure it out and tree the coon. Any (well most) dogs that will do this will occasionally not be able to tree the coon or will have to gamble some. Personally I would rather tree this coon than three hot coons.

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:35 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
It's interesting how we like different kinds of dogs, I'm probably really old school and remember the time in the 70's when you could hunt all night to strike one track. I still like the dog that will take a really bad track and figure it out and tree the coon. Any (well most) dogs that will do this will occasionally not be able to tree the coon or will have to gamble some. Personally I would rather tree this coon than three hot coons.
I would rather tree that coon also, but I don't want to walk to five trees to see him.

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:38 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The older I get the more important accuracy is to me. These swamps are getting deeper and boggier every year.

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:43 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I might should make myself clear. I don't like walking to empty trees and won't do it much but I do believe a good dog figures out the track the best he can and trees sometimes when he's not 100% sure. I have a dog right now that you can tell when he "knows" and when he "thinks" the coon is there and yes he's right on those "thinks" trees way more than he's wrong. I won't hunt a tree grabber or a dog that can't finish most of his tracks. Hate a dog that just trees to be treed.

Old Post 08-02-2020 09:56 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

It depends on the dog a good locating dog that trees alot of coon will miss once in a while but tree alot of coon the coon population is 3 times better than it was is many locations so a medium nose is plenty in thinner coons many times a trailing type dog looks better all dogs gamble sooner or later only the internet dogs never miss and finally Mr.Tom a good quick dog is just as accurate as a common so called tree checkecking type dog I like you have never seen one of these great internet dogs

Old Post 08-02-2020 11:36 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Just like I have said several times, it is not what you want, it's what you have in a dog. We all want certain things, but getting them is much harder than wanting them. If you have a dog you like and enjoy hunting, you are way ahead of most folks. Hunt what you like, nothing wrong with wanting better if you can find it. Dave

Old Post 08-02-2020 11:52 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by wart
It depends on the dog a good locating dog that trees alot of coon will miss once in a while but tree alot of coon the coon population is 3 times better than it was is many locations so a medium nose is plenty in thinner coons many times a trailing type dog looks better all dogs gamble sooner or later only the internet dogs never miss and finally Mr.Tom a good quick dog is just as accurate as a common so called tree checkecking type dog I like you have never seen one of these great internet dogs
Internet dog?

Old Post 08-03-2020 01:57 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wart

Would you really like to see one of those "internet" not miss dogs operate? I would love to show you one that about as accurate as a dog can get, in the wintertime leaves off no excuses made ACCURACY. Here in these mountains or on your ground if it's reasonable driving distance and you have coons. I think I could arrange a little hunting trip this year, and I am being serious. Dave

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:05 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate everyones comments. Did not intend to start any contention. There are many ways to look at this. I have my preferences and so does everyone else. Truth be told even my preference can change from night to night depending on how it's going.

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:09 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom

I was not being contentious, I was being serious, my hunting buddy and I both love to coon hunt and would love to come hunt with some one who would like to see an exceptional accurate coon dog operate. Saying that, we would definitely only hunt these dogs by themselves, as that would only be the fair way to do it. We are both getting up in age and really do not know how much longer we can follow these old dogs at night. I think everyone involved would have a good time, I know we would. Nothing like hunting with new friends and watching a good coon dog operate. Dave

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:19 AM
yadkintar
Banned

What I have noticed kinda a then vs now thing back in the day dogs were accurate under pressure. A lot not all of today’s dogs are more accurate when hunted alone in a group they are so competitive they have a tendency to talk each other in to a tree that they shouldn’t tree on.

Tar

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:44 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Some dogs yes, some dogs no. I like hunting dogs by themselves it shows their weakness and their strength. A dog by themself has to find a coon track, trail that track and tree that track. You see their strengths in striking, trailing and ACCURACY when they are by themselves, no buddies doing part of the afore mentioned things for them. We have all seen dogs that could do part of the equation at a high level, it takes a coon dog to do it all at a high level. I want to see ALL of my dogs operate on their own. I have cut a good dog back in the same spot another dog just hunted without striking a coon and the good dog strike, trail and tree a coon the other dog never knew was there. A true coon dog needs no help in finding, running or treeing a coon. I find that often times folks hunting several dogs together are doing so to cover the faults of those dogs, that together they are decent, but suck by themselves. I could never call a dog a coon dog if they were not a coon dog by themself. I demand more than a lot of folks, I am judging a dog for what it can do alone not in a pack. We hunt and Champion our dogs in competition hunts so they can and will do it in company, but to me the real test is how they operate by themselves. You can say that I am HTXing every night I hunt, they are being tested. Dave

Old Post 08-03-2020 06:05 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

A man can really see what he is hunting when you cut a dog by itself, we usually take 2 dogs every night we hunt and cut each dog separate, taking turns until we have hunted enough for that night. Do this 5 to 6 nights a week all Fall and Winter and you will see what kind of coon dog you are feeding. Some times we turn one dog loose one way and the other dog loose another way and both dogs get treed. I have hunted this way for years, I think it really show cases a dog to hunt it by itself. Dave

Old Post 08-03-2020 06:36 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Dave 100% ....if I can't take my dog and tree a coon on a regular basis I have the wrong dog and most of the people don't realize how few and far between these dogs are.

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:05 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom

X2. I cut loose year round. Worse ever was -12°. Have cut at -2° and 6" snow. Both times treed coon. Damon Shivers and I cut loose during a Level 3 snowstorm... Started dogs can tree hot coon. I want a dog to give me it's best. Even I ain't perfect. Don't expect a dog to be either

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 08-03-2020 03:16 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote