UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wonderful Covid News This Christmas
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Wonderful Covid News This Christmas

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...p7BckdRVCm1m-vA

So myself and the other front line doctors have been correct all along. You are IMMUNE after covid infection. It is proven in the above linked study in the New England Journal of Medicine to be at least 6 months but the experts think most likely at least a year to 18 months.

""To really follow a group like this longitudinally like they've done, with a large population, and to see such a big difference ― it really confirms our suspicion that those who do become infected and develop an antibody response are significantly protected from reinfection.

"What's great about this study is it's nearly a 10-fold reduction in risk if you've recovered from COVID and have antibodies," said King, who was not involved with the research. "That's what a lot of us have been wanting to know."

Unanswered Questions Remain
"How long this immunity lasts, we don't know," King said. He predicted that antibody protection could last a year to a year and a half""

This means that we are even closer to herd immunity AND it means the vaccine may actually work for a year or more as well. (Remember immunity is individual response and no vaccine is 100% but if natural immunity lasts that long then hopefully the vaccine immunity will last close to as long).

Add that to this study that agrees with many other studies that asymptomatic spread is RARE then that is even more good news.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...article/2774102

This is from the Journal of the American Medical Association I might add not some CNN "reporter" that doesn't understand what they are reading.

"Household secondary attack rates were increased from symptomatic index cases (18.0%; 95% CI, 14.2%-22.1%) than from asymptomatic index cases (0.7%; 95% CI, 0%-4.9%), to adult contacts (28.3%; 95% CI, 20.2%-37.1%) than to child contacts (16.8%; 95% CI, 12.3%-21.7%), to spouses (37.8%; 95% CI, 25.8%-50.5%) than to other family contacts (17.8%; 95% CI, 11.7%-24.8%), and in households with 1 contact (41.5%; 95% CI, 31.7%-51.7%) than in households with 3 or more contacts (22.8%; 95% CI, 13.6%-33.5%)."

Yes that really shows that an asymptomatic positive person has LESS THAN 1% chance of infecting someone they LIVE WITH.

This is all great news.

People get your vaccine. Stay away from others. If 6 feet is good then 10 feet is better and wash your hands.

Last edited by Rip on 12-26-2020 at 02:53 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-26-2020 02:51 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rip

Thanks for this update, good news to say the least. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Did you all get any snow? We did, first white Christmas in 10 years, but man is it cold, 11 degrees tonight. Dave

Old Post 12-26-2020 04:36 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Delete

Delete

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-26-2020 at 05:06 AM

Old Post 12-26-2020 04:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rip

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Thanks for this update, good news to say the least. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Did you all get any snow? We did, first white Christmas in 10 years, but man is it cold, 11 degrees tonight. Dave

Yes we got about a half inch they got an inch or so up on the mountain. Gonna try to go hunting tomorrow. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Old Post 12-26-2020 05:16 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rip

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Yes we got about a half inch they got an inch or so up on the mountain. Gonna try to go hunting tomorrow. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

We got several inches 3 or 4 maybe, Johnson City got more than we did, was talking to Wayne Cloyd last night and they had more than we did. Hope you have a good hunt. Wayne and I have got to get down and hunt with you , it's been to long since we last went hunting with you. Dave

Old Post 12-26-2020 05:27 AM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Rip

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
We got several inches 3 or 4 maybe, Johnson City got more than we did, was talking to Wayne Cloyd last night and they had more than we did. Hope you have a good hunt. Wayne and I have got to get down and hunt with you , it's been to long since we last went hunting with you. Dave

Yall come on down any time I got plenty of flat ground to hunt. It's thick but it aint steep. Got plenty of coon too

Old Post 12-26-2020 05:29 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Rip!!

That is Great news.

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 12-26-2020 01:04 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I tested positive on December 3rd after being sick a couple of days. I told my wife that I would move out of the bedroom. She said it was too late and there wasn't any use to now. We didn't wear masks or make any changes. She never got it and was tested twice.

Old Post 12-26-2020 02:57 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I tested positive on December 3rd after being sick a couple of days. I told my wife that I would move out of the bedroom. She said it was too late and there wasn't any use to now. We didn't wear masks or make any changes. She never got it and was tested twice.

100% don't doubt you a bit. We have been finding this since May when we started doing surgery again, one family member test positive and the rest negative. Maybe 2 out of 3 or whatever.

One of the studies above showed that the spouse got it 37.8% of the time but it was even HIGHER in a household with only 1 contact 41.5%.

So my thinking on this has been as contagious as this is it makes more sense that the contacts that tested negative probably had asymptomatic cases BEFORE, and as the study shows there was a less than 1% chance that they gave it to anyone in their household.

So given that it is most likely that they had it before the one that got sick (remember they are testing for active infection with these swabs) and they were already immune so it didn't matter when their spouse got it.

I do not have any study to back that up, just my opinion based on all of the studies and patients I have taken care of.

Old Post 12-26-2020 03:09 PM
Rodney Wright
UKC Forum Member

VVHS

Thanks for the info. My wife and I both had it around Thanksgiving. It's not fun. Thanks Doc

Old Post 12-26-2020 03:32 PM
Rodney Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rodney Wright Click here to Send Rodney Wright a Private Message Find more posts by Rodney Wright Add Rodney Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

Jimmy, Although never a positive test I am 100% certain my 10 yr old and I both had covid back in January, at that time no one knew about covid19 just yet but we had all the classic symptoms. Fast forward, Our local health dept has put a number of 3 mth immunity on it........ what I can tell you is I have been exposed to positive tested persons a minimum of 4 diff times in the last 6 weeks and never have I gotten sick! I have been debating this herd immunity with folks for 6 mths now and feel as if I am living proof! Thanks for posting this

Old Post 12-27-2020 12:13 PM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nick miller
Jimmy, Although never a positive test I am 100% certain my 10 yr old and I both had covid back in January, at that time no one knew about covid19 just yet but we had all the classic symptoms. Fast forward, Our local health dept has put a number of 3 mth immunity on it........ what I can tell you is I have been exposed to positive tested persons a minimum of 4 diff times in the last 6 weeks and never have I gotten sick! I have been debating this herd immunity with folks for 6 mths now and feel as if I am living proof! Thanks for posting this

That is the data hot off the presses. It's not me saying it, it is the scientists.

Also people don't understand what "herd immunity" is. They were fed misinformation by "journalists" that don't know what it is and it was wrongly ridiculed. Herd immunity is fact. Herd immunity is HOW VACCINES WORK but the journalists didn't understand it.

Here is how herd immunity works, lets take chicken pox for an example. You notice the article I linked above said the vaccine is 94% effective and natural immunity is 90% effective. What that actually means is that 94% of people that take the vaccine will make antibodies and have an immune response. The other 6% can't for whatever reason so they are not immune. If everyone gets vaccinated the odds of two of the 6% with one having the disease meeting is super low. That 6% is protected by the herd, the 94%. It has to go through them to get to the 6% and if they are immune they can't get it or give it. So say that one sick person comes in, most likely they will be in contact with one of the 94% and not the 6%.

That is proven scientific fact. That is how vaccines have worked since we have had them. That's how you can eradicate a disease like Polio even though no vaccine is 100%, because it can't find a host to live in.

Now as high as the death rate was for this disease in Italy scientists were warning that if we had to wait on herd immunity too many people would die. What they were saying is if we waited on natural herd immunity. They were not wrong in that statement.

The media took that and twisted it into herd immunity is bad, it doesn't exist and things like that while not realizing that a vaccine depends on herd immunity as well.

The problem is that the media didn't understand that and they scoffed at it not understanding the science behind it and made it political so now you have a ton of people that believed a political narrative instead of the actual biology of the matter.

Last edited by Rip on 12-27-2020 at 04:26 PM

Old Post 12-27-2020 04:24 PM