UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proper use of a shock collar
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
swaggart
UKC Forum Member

Proper use of a shock collar

Shock collars are training tools . A young pup learning its name should be taught it how ? As in with shock collar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-2013 09:48 PM
swaggart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swaggart Click here to Send swaggart a Private Message Find more posts by swaggart Add swaggart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

A young pup doesn't need a training collar, it needs play time with you or a kid. That's the best way for a pup to learn to come to it's name. Then progress to a 25/50 foot rope and set up a situation that the pup will not really want to come when called. Call the pup and when it refuses to come, gently pull them in and praise them. ONLY AFTER a older pup knows what "Come here" means do you move on to a training collar. Start at the lowest setting and work up to only what is neccessary to teach the young dog {in a controlled enviroment} that you can reach him and he does have to listen to you.

Old Post 04-03-2013 11:21 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

More dogs have been ruined by schocking collars than ever trained. Using one should be a last resort........not a new toy to play with. Nuff Said.

Old Post 04-03-2013 11:25 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimmie legrand
UKC Forum Member

what they said

please tell me you aint gonna use the shocker to teach a pup its name
WOW

REBEL TANK
my girls rebels blck raven rebels honeydo and rebels ruby
the freak dozer

Old Post 04-04-2013 12:06 AM
jimmie legrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimmie legrand Click here to Send jimmie legrand a Private Message Click Here to Email jimmie legrand Find more posts by jimmie legrand Add jimmie legrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swaggart
UKC Forum Member

Say it again ! You know Ive got a friend who has ruined more dogs shocking and beatin them fir barkin , not handlin etc all because he didnt have enough since to play with and gently handle his dogs . He has to be smarter than the dog is wat one man told him lol

Old Post 04-04-2013 12:09 AM
swaggart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swaggart Click here to Send swaggart a Private Message Find more posts by swaggart Add swaggart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swaggart
UKC Forum Member

Nope dont own one . Im just pointing out or asking questions that with proper answers might teach younger less expierenced young hunters how not to do . You would be surprised how many "dog people" use bark and shock collars . as I said my buddy has issues with the proper use and also has issues with dogs barking . Im kinda teaching thru 3rd party I hope

Old Post 04-04-2013 01:21 AM
Dirtdevil
Banned

Most dogs are smart enough to compensate for a little handler error ... imo even the instructions that come with the shockers on recall are not my favorite method.

First off ... don't use a shocker for recall as the first thing they are shocked for ... whenever they get confused and want to try and make you happy so they pain will stop ... they are gonna be at your feet .... and from then on when things go bad .. your dog is gonna hit the box or come get under you .

The most common error with a shocker is to turn it too high and get instant results ... once you actually bite them with it and their adrenaline kicks in , their brain shuts off and the session is gonna go south.

All they need is the low setting to persuade them and let them know that it won't stop til' they give in ... it's ok if the dog is a little stubborn and resists ... don't get upset and fry them ... just take your time ...

... the trick to training is for the dog to make the decision to come on his own ... not from you bringing the thunder ... same with anything else ... if it aint coming from the dog ... it just aint the real thing.

Old Post 04-04-2013 02:17 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan W. Jones
UKC Forum Member

I have used one for years , but the tone button is what works the best , usually the sound will break their concentration enough to get their attention . The only reasons one should ever be shocked is maybe fast game , or being over aggressive and even then alway start at
1 and work ya way up until he quits .....

Bad to the Bones Super Sam (Knuckles (Jet) X ALLNITE BETTY (CANE)

Old Post 04-04-2013 02:30 AM
Bryan W. Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan W. Jones Click here to Send Bryan W. Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan W. Jones Find more posts by Bryan W. Jones Add Bryan W. Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

You should condition a dog to an e-collar. Never use the e-collar for a lesson until after the dog has mastered the lesson in the yard w/o an e-collar.

To condition a dog, start on the lowest setting. Hit the button, watch the dogs reaction. If there is no reaction, than you raise the intensity 1 level. Give a known command, if the dog doesn't respond than use the e-collar. Again, watch for all potential reactions such as a slight jump, twitch, or verbal response such as a small yipe. If there is no response, than again raise the level and repeat.

The secret is once you get a slight reaction then you back off one level. That is the level you should use!

All dogs are different! I had one hard headed male that seemed to react very little to high levels of stimulation. I used to kid and tell people it took enough electrcity to light a small city to break him. Right now, I am hunting a dog that I broke from running deer on level 3 with just 3 applications.

Consider this your father has special tools that are his pride and joy. Do you let him catch you using one as a hammer? Heck no! There are right ways and wrongs ways of using all tools. If you can not use an e-collar correctly, then yes I suggest you never use an e-collar.

Finally, you never use an e-collar simply because you are extremely peeved off! Never!

PS No e-collar for young pups.

Aim small miss small

Last edited by Larry Atherton on 04-04-2013 at 03:22 PM

Old Post 04-04-2013 03:19 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Max LeBleu
UKC Forum Member

I have had great success with shocking collars.

First just put the collar on the dog and let them get used to it. I do this for a couple of weeks. Do not try to do any training during this period.
Next I use a 50ft check cord during this next step. I will hit the tone button while giving the voice command to come. I will then pull the pup to me and pet him/her up. I will do this for several days about 30 minutes a day. I have not shocked the pup at this point.
Next once you know the pup knows to come to you when he hears the tone then you will start on the lowest setting and bump the pup if he does not listen. You still have the check cord on the pup and when you correct the pup as soon as he turns to you you will stop the stimulation and pull the pup to you and pet him up.
Some pups you never have to shock. I have a dog that is coming 3 and has never been shocked above level 2. She can be in there 500 yards and when I hit the tone button I can watch on my garmin she will start coming to me. If she doesn't that means she is out of range.

It sure is nice having a dog that you have a handle on.

I do agree that there has been many dogs ruined by shocking collars. If you're not smarter than the dog then you probably should stay away from shocking collars.

Old Post 04-04-2013 04:48 PM
Max LeBleu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Max LeBleu Click here to Send Max LeBleu a Private Message Click Here to Email Max LeBleu Find more posts by Max LeBleu Add Max LeBleu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walker1978
UKC Forum Member

all mine are trained to come on the beep of the collar. not shocking. and yes i start that really young. if i beep them that means to come to me no matter how far away they are.only use a shock in the woods for trash. if there old enough to go threw the woods with out trouble there old enough to no what a shock collar is. i do not beleive they are the anwser for everthing but they are great when used right.

Old Post 04-06-2013 04:16 PM
walker1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walker1978 Click here to Send walker1978 a Private Message Click Here to Email walker1978 Find more posts by walker1978 Add walker1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

i start mine when i start hunting them.... at that point they have no idea what a shock collar is and have no trouble whatsoever having one understand what come here means.. everybody has different ways of doing things and this has worked for me... doesnt mean its for everyone but the way i like doing it

Old Post 04-06-2013 08:39 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Bird 76
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by skidiver
More dogs have been ruined by schocking collars than ever trained. Using one should be a last resort........not a new toy to play with. Nuff Said.

I cant say it any better. Follow this advise.

Old Post 04-07-2013 02:47 AM
Jay Bird 76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Bird 76 Click here to Send Jay Bird 76 a Private Message Find more posts by Jay Bird 76 Add Jay Bird 76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote