UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > the 8
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rester
Problem being is walking the direction of hound with garmin that cast cannot hear opening or treed. Walking cast to the point to were cast can hear hound. Without the 8 minutes running. If hounds trail opposite directions and splitting diffrence to judge hounds cannot be done. Time should be called to retrieve hounds
it is walking 42 minutes before starting the 8 1/2 mile from where dog was struck that i have a problem with. lol when going back to start the 8 on a dog where it was last heard we need a new rule .walk and use 10 minutes of hunting time .if you need more time to get where the dog was at call time out till you reach the spot then call time back in .should be handled same as split trees . i dont think anyone on this board would enjoy driving 6 hour to a hunt where your dog was only able to be turned loose for 70 minutes .lol rest of the night stuck on a leash . i hunt a x-bred so i dont have a breed ass. to present a rule change to . maybe some of you all or u.k.c. could kick the ideal to the 7 breed ass. for me . lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2018 01:39 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe the problem is having dogs that go so far that you have to walk 42 minutes to get to their tree. Is that what our sport has come to? Maybe we need a rule that says if a dog goes more than 1,000 yds it is scratched.
Competition coonhunts have turned into marathons. All we do any more is race 700-1,000 yds from dog to dog.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-14-2018 at 02:28 PM

Old Post 06-14-2018 02:24 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Maybe the problem is having dogs that go so far that you have to walk 42 minutes to get to their tree. Is that what our sport has come to? Maybe we need a rule that says if a dog goes more than 1,000 yds it is scratched.
it was 1 hour 17 minutes into the hunt when dog was scored .lol 42 minutes before the 8 minutes was started .lol dog still lost cast to cast to dog that had 225+ on the first tree .lol still think we need a rule like going to split trees . with a extra 32 minutes ole go deep and lonely might have went another 2 miles and won .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 06-14-2018 at 02:44 PM

Old Post 06-14-2018 02:37 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Leash locking rule shoud be changed asap, 8 should turn to 5, and breed assc. should vote on things concering their breed, while comp hunters vote on rules concerning the hunts. All problems solved..

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:06 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I am going to keep my extra trashy depression era sportsmen hounds at least if I get 1st and 1st on 2 possums at a hunt I never have to walk more than 100 yds from the truck. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:15 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Leash locking rule shoud be changed asap, 8 should turn to 5, and breed assc. should vote on things concering their breed, while comp hunters vote on rules concerning the hunts. All problems solved..

All problems solved or more problems created? I guess it all depends on your point of view. It will take 6 hrs to complete a 2 hr hunt and you will walk 10 miles. Vendors will have to quit selling waders and start selling running shoes. Coonhunting used to be fun. Now it is just a workout. I am going to have to join a gym to get in shape for coonhunting. We used to get the dogs in shape. Now it is the handlers who have to get in shape.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-14-2018 at 03:29 PM

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Richard eat more possum it worked for the Ledbetter clan! LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:30 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you refer to a family as a "clan" then you are definantly in trouble. And if you know who the Ledbetter's are then there is no help for you. I guess that I will have to go to the Wally World and get me some cans of spinach. I have just about wiped out all of the possums around here because I couldn't break my dog from treeing them. I got tired of whipping and shocking her so I just started shooting them. Now there aren't any left for her to tree.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:03 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
All problems solved or more problems created? I guess it all depends on your point of view. It will take 6 hrs to complete a 2 hr hunt and you will walk 10 miles. Vendors will have to quit selling waders and start selling running shoes. p
I cant think of a reason it would take any longer.? I think most people would like to walk to their dog treed and score it instead of leading thier dog thru the woods wasting hunting time to score someone elses tree because of an outdated rule..

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:12 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Sorry, calling time out between trees or while walking back to last place heard will add more time. No leash lock will just add more walking. If you walk 700 yds to score dog A's tree, then turn dog A loose and walk 700 yds back to last place dog B was heard and walk another 700 yds to score Dog B's tree and then recut him.You now have to walk 1,400 yds back to last place Dog A was heard. And Dog B will now get treed 2 miles behind you. And that doesn't even account for dogs C and D. I am going to have to take a nap from just thinking about what would happen. It is no wonder that the handlers in that other KC are fighting. They don't have a leash lock rule.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:32 PM
yadkintar
Banned

While y'all are doing all that I will stay on the tailgate and hoot y'all out. Buuuuut no leash lock does help Richard get some buddy's together and try it one night it does make the action a little faster paced.

Tar

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Sorry, the Garmin wiped out all that walking here and there to listen. If you're at a 2hr hunt ya might as well be hunting, not dragging a dog around for half the time.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:39 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Sorry, calling time out between trees or while walking back to last place heard will add more time. No leash lock will just add more walking. If you walk 700 yds to score dog A's tree, then turn dog A loose and walk 700 yds back to last place dog B was heard and walk another 700 yds to score Dog B's tree and then recut him.You now have to walk 1,400 yds back to last place Dog A was heard. And Dog B will now get treed 2 miles behind you. And that doesn't even account for dogs C and D. I am going to have to take a nap from just thinking about what would happen. It is no wonder that the handlers in that other KC are fighting. They don't have a leash lock rule.
i would be happy happy happy with the walking 10 then calling time out to go to the place the dog was last heard just like we do for a split tree . at least i might get to hunt a little more instead of lead my dog all night long . heck if i wanted to hunt a hour i had one of those i could have went to 30 minutes from the house . instead i drove 4 hours to a hunt and my dog was off the leash for a hour . lol

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:49 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Well Shane hunting styles of the dogs have changed you have the dead loners now that are quick to get struck you have 3 kc's with different rules when those dogs are chosen buy the guys that the big $$$$ to spend they are chosen to fit those rules to a tee. Now when Sombody buys a young dog or a pup out of one of those dogs It might not when trained fit the rules in the kc they hunt in yeah they say just tree coons and you win but they don't tell you about that dog being miserable for us old farts to keep up with while it does it I am bad about shining around looking while I walk I can't count the times I would be judging and see multiple coons setting up behind dogs and they were not running nothing but each other's butt holes when they left either but hunt in the one you like.

Tar

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Dean, I see no good reason why the cast cannot walk in the direction of that hound, given your scenario? It's his (handler's) 8 minutes and you have no other dog struck in that is being judged?_

I'm going to assume the question really surrounds Telemetry Rule #3, which states:_
At no time may an handler demand the cast walk in the direction of a hound that has not been heard opening. The judge, or majority of cast when hunting judge is used, may agree to walk in that direction.

The purpose of Rule 3# is for dogs blowing out of pocket that have not been struck in or heard, unless the majority of the cast agrees to do so._

Your situation doesn't quite fit that rule because the dog was declared struck. However, the dog hadn't been heard since he was declared struck nearby. So the argument could definitely be made that the rule should apply and it be a majority of cast decision whether or not the cast walk in that direction. Regardless, the 8 minutes comes into play and consideration should be granted to walk in that direction. UKC has stated, in the past, that the handlers whose dogs are on the clock may choose to walk during that time period. So, I'd say that applies here even though it may be waste of walking time in your situation.

_04-04-2017_11:54 AM____

thank you very much I know it took some time out of your day to find this and post it and this post clears up the ? For sure. I really do appreciate it

Old Post 06-15-2018 12:03 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote