UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > need tips on coonhound training
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
makwa64
New UKC Forum Member

need tips on coonhound training

hi im new to coonhunting, i have a 9 m/o bluetick that i have been training. i train him 3-4 days a week when i have time. ive been doing scent training with him, he has a nose like no other but he wont bark or stay on tree when using a scent drag. will that change when i show him a live coon? any tips on training would help, like i said im new to coon hunting and this is my first hunting dog. thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2019 10:35 PM
makwa64 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for makwa64 Click here to Send makwa64 a Private Message Click Here to Email makwa64 Find more posts by makwa64 Add makwa64 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quit trying to train him !! take him hunting and shoot coon out to him!!! your season is still in. go with someone with a good dog!!! if its your first dog you both can train each other... remember they all don't and want make the grade.. find someone to hunt with.. stay away from all the BS training.. make a coondog you gotta hunt it at night time..

Old Post 01-15-2019 01:22 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
quit trying to train him !! take him hunting and shoot coon out to him!!! your season is still in. go with someone with a good dog!!! if its your first dog you both can train each other... remember they all don't and want make the grade.. find someone to hunt with.. stay away from all the BS training.. make a coondog you gotta hunt it at night time..

^^^^
THIS !

Old Post 01-15-2019 03:58 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

Read Walk With Wick

I’m new to coonhunting as well. I’m reading the book again. Get this book right away and read it carefully. I’ve tried to follow Wick’s instructions with my dog, and I’ve been pleased with the results so far. I’m currently reading the chapter on starting young dogs. Very informative and it works. I’ll send you a PM as well.

Old Post 01-15-2019 04:48 AM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAH
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH

That is what I do. I have never messed with a drag for a puppy or showed them a caged coon.I just take them to the woods and turn them loose with the old dogs.if they got it it will come out it not then it won't

Old Post 01-15-2019 12:36 PM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Definitely read the walk with Wick books... My favorite part of hunting is training young dogs... I start by playing with them, making the pup my friend, teach it to come when called, I use A coaches whistle. Teach it to properly lead and load. Take it for walks in the woods while practicing all you've taught it. Do this stuff on a regular basis and when it's time to hunt, it will be easier on you and the dog.
I've never messed with training scents, drags... I believe the hound will learn that from it's own instincts.
If you have someone to hunt with with dogs, go with them, let the dog learn what's going on. When you think your dog is ready to actually start hunting, show it a caged coon with another dog, let it get fired up and know what that smell is. Drag the cage around etc... But don't do this too much. A couple minutes... No more than twice in 2 days. Once per day.
Now turn it loose on a hot feeder if possible, with another coondog if possible.. but don't do this too much either..
Now just hunt the dog, encourage and praise when it does good and correct when it does bad.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-20-2019 09:02 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote