UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Letting a pup run loose
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Letting a pup run loose

I am getting ready to place my 5 month old pup in a place where he can run loose. Just wondered about everyones thoughts on this. Now I'm not trying to make up my mind but thought it would be interesting to see everyones thoughts and experiences doing this. I will send mine at about 6 months old. I realize that many people are in the same situation that I'm in and just can't let one run loose where I live.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2019 07:37 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion, it is the single best thing you can do to develope a pup. But most of us are forced to kennel our pups. And in that case, letting them loose in the yard daily is the next best thing. Putting a pup in the kennel and leaving it there till it is 8 or 10 or 12 months old is a sure path to a brain dead pup.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-19-2019 08:46 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tom In my opinion you are wasting at least four months. I've had numerous pups treeing before five months old and already woods wise.

Old Post 01-19-2019 08:54 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I live where l could possibly let a pup run loose. BUT....There are a couple things that keep me from doing it. Deer hunters, coyotes, even though l live a good ways from the road it is still there. And our local Humane Society thinks our dogs should be tucked in a doggy bed every night.

Old Post 01-19-2019 08:56 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I never had much luck with a pup I DIDN'T allow to run loose. A pups mental capacity develops in direct correlation to the exposure/life experiences it has had, and if he or she has learned to cross streams, get through fences, and navigate around through the woods prior to being exposed to hunting situations it seems like the pup is much more capable of absorbing what I'm trying to teach it.

I hate, hate, hate a stupid dog. And way too often, I get fed up with a stupid pup through no fault of its own. Allowing one to run loose works alot of the stupid out before I have to deal with it.

Old Post 01-19-2019 09:29 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Yadkinriver the only reason I'm waiting till 6 months is economic. It is not free to let him run loose so 3-4 months is not economically reasonable. He's a really nice pup that has had many walks in the woods and chased a couple of released coon but just now loosing his puppyness.

Old Post 01-19-2019 09:43 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

If you can't let them run loose, bring the inside with you. They learn a lot from being around you all the time

Old Post 01-19-2019 10:14 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

My pups are 4 months old and are loose everyday, They are still with their mother, weened themselves and have socialized with my other hounds. They are kenneled at night and will continue to be loose during the day until they get in trouble. They know their names and kennel on command.

Old Post 01-19-2019 11:51 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

The only way I’ll mess with a pup is if it has ran loose for at least 30 days. I prefer 60 days. Drop them off when they 5/6 months old go get them when they 7/8 months old. Makes my job a heck of a lot easier. I’ve had good luck using this method

Old Post 01-20-2019 07:57 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Pups are no different than kids when it comes to socializing and learning...

When you send your toddler to a good day care center the child will learn quickly to socialize and mingle and will be corrected as needed to learn manners etc...they will learn to color, learn to read and write a few words and will be very comfortable in that environment...once that child goes to grade school he or she will feel comfortable in that environment...

Comfortable...if we are relaxed and contented in our environment we are feeling confidence...

Confidence...when the child is confident he or she will not be shy and will get involved more readily in the new tasks that are asked of them and are willing to explore...
If we analyze all the possibilities...minus and pluses, we will know it is the right thing to do...to socialize and put them in those environments where they can learn...there are many many reasons why we should...

A child kept mostly at home will have a setback once they go to school...

A puppy who stays in his kennel most his puppyhood will have setbacks as well...

Old Post 01-20-2019 02:21 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Well my wife wanted to read this thread because she has been volunteering for over ten years on most every school day in pre-kinder and grade school...

She says there are three levels of pre-kinder kids and she can identify these three levels in the first week of school...this is my wife's way of describing these kids...

Level three kids...kids stayed home until going to kinder...they usually don't come out of their shells until mid year...these kids usually cry off and on until they get used to school and being away from their home environment.

Level 2 kids...these kids went to pre-schooll 1/2 a day...these kids are kind of in the middle but do well...

Level 1...these kids usually went to daycare/pre-school all day...these kids have a high level of confidence and volunteer for tasks and are usually the leaders and teachers pets in their class...

I see puppies in the same way...we get back what we put into them...

Last edited by Reuben on 01-20-2019 at 03:09 PM

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote