UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another dog food question, Purina Dog Chow
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jreeves
New UKC Forum Member

Dog food

After many years of feeding corn based dog food and having to shovel poop, I have found that it is, for me cheaper and easier to feed an 80% raw diet. I get 200lbs of raw meat an month and grind it up along with an high quality corn free dog food (or at least that’s what they put on the bag). My dogs hold weight no matter how many nights I hunt them. Every time I unsnap the lead they are gone. They actually out hunt me most nights. My poop shoveling has also gone down 50%. That’s always a good thing. In all I spend less than $50 a month feeding 4 hounds and 2 extremely large Pyrenees Burmese mountain dog mixed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2019 02:00 AM
Jreeves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jreeves Click here to Send Jreeves a Private Message Click Here to Email Jreeves Find more posts by Jreeves Add Jreeves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Looking for suggestions

I feed Purina One Lamb and Rice and have for a few years. If you have fed or seen this feed it has light brown pieces and dark brown pieces. My dogs have always ate it good, except some would eat the light colored pieces and leave the dark. By the way the dark pieces feel like rubber and seem like the dogs do a lot of chewing with it. When I first started getting this feed it was like 5 parts light to one part dark. I have noticed that they started adding more dark over a period of time, now it is probably half and half. I guess the dark is much cheaper. I am now noticing what others have said on this. Loose stool and not eating it as well. I am strongly thinking of changing brands just don't know what to go to. suggestions would be good from you guys that are changing or doing well with something else. Thanks

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:01 AM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

So how do u store the raw meat dog food mixture
Do u just mix as needed and keep the meat frozen ?
My dog poop shoveling days have been over for years
My pens are 10x50 on a good slope with a 16 ft roof over the front end with a 14 ft wood floor
My dogs go down to the low end to empty out
No shoveling dog poo

Old Post 01-20-2019 03:12 AM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jreeves
New UKC Forum Member

Dog food

I mix one a month and store in a fridge out in building.

Old Post 01-20-2019 05:13 PM
Jreeves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jreeves Click here to Send Jreeves a Private Message Click Here to Email Jreeves Find more posts by Jreeves Add Jreeves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jreeves
New UKC Forum Member

Dog food

I mix one a month and store in a fridge out in building.

Old Post 01-20-2019 05:13 PM
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

That’s why I don’t like Purina

The stools have been that way every time I have used it switched to Diamond premium. One stool a day hard black. Higher rating and Best Buy out there I give 25$ for 50Lb bag off Amish dealer. Fed it for almost 20 years now higher cal. Per cup so you feed less. Approved for all life stages. I won’t feed anything else

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

PR Git Ryght Ryta. (GrNtCh Kant Git Ryght x GrNtCh Magic Style Dolly )

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Last edited by mark nethery on 01-20-2019 at 10:39 PM

Old Post 01-20-2019 10:35 PM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow

Fed it for years recently switched to pride pro series, I liked it better years ago when they had the bigger nuggets, anyone else feeding pride?

Old Post 01-20-2019 11:30 PM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by markncole
Fed it for years recently switched to pride pro series, I liked it better years ago when they had the bigger nuggets, anyone else feeding pride?

I’ve fed about all of their blends. After a year and a half of trying grain free feeds I’ve switched back to Pride. Dogs are looking and acting better on it. When I first switched back I was feeding the Pro Series. Have since switched back to the original dark green bag, 26 18. Best bang for the buck in my opinion however the 31 22 Pro Series has been great with pregnant females and pups even though I’ve raised a bunch of pups on the 26 18 in the past.

Old Post 01-21-2019 04:26 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote