UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best way to keep coons on small tracts of woods
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Best way to keep coons on small tracts of woods

Most of my spots are smaller tracts say 30-50 acres each. With deer season going out so I'll be getting cranked up. In a perfect world I'd cast the dogs and follow them wherever they went. However that won't work where I hunt without everyone around me and adjoining neighbor getting pissed off and likely loosing what few spots I have left to hunt. I know the opinion of feeders by most on here but I don't have much choice but to use them to keep my dogs on half decent tracks in the woods I have to hunt. Just curious what some of y'all do who don't have 1,000s of acres to hunt. do you run multiple feeders ? just looking for ideas on some things to do to save some headaches and keep my dogs as safe as I can.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-11-2017 10:31 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

For the coon feed will get them there but even with good food supply they will ramble around and get you into trouble. Your second choice would be a different style hound. One that hunts close. Others can help with what breed that might be. Fiest or cur

Old Post 12-11-2017 12:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

WHEW!!!! SCARED ME BRUCE

Thought U might recommend a B/T there for a minute.

Old Post 12-11-2017 12:52 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

train the dog to work with the tone button. also may want to find a dog that has a poor voice.

Old Post 12-11-2017 02:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Meyers hope your doing ok. There are some fine black dogs out there. Have a couple buddies with some. Unfortunally the future for many will be the same as wildcats. Not much hunting ground.

Old Post 12-11-2017 03:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Tone train and hunt after midnight

Old Post 12-11-2017 03:25 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Tone

It will take some practice, but like they train bird dogs to hunt close. Watch the Garmin, when they get close to the property line or road, tone them. Now hunting should work fine, but trailing a hot track, I don't know, that would be tough. Better hunt after midnight.
Hunting a tone broke hound with a Garmin, it has made hunting much more enjoyable for me

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 12-11-2017 04:18 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whats up
UKC Forum Member

Alot of good advise in the post above I'll add one more .leave that gun in the truck these dogs don't need as many coons shot out to them as the owner does.not being a smart butt I'm in the same situation your in .tree them and leave

Old Post 12-12-2017 01:32 PM
whats up is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whats up Click here to Send whats up a Private Message Click Here to Email whats up Find more posts by whats up Add whats up to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Not sure what kind of woods you're hunting. But if there's not a lot of den trees in them. They won't hold the coon no matter what you put out for feeders. I was lucky to get permission on a old farm that has a pile of den trees even after they cleared out 1/2 the big oaks. So what I'm saying is if you don't have a bunch of den trees, then you should make den boxes or similar.

Old Post 12-12-2017 01:59 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote