UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > LED vs 5100
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bondo
What do you mean is screwed up your garmin? Has anybody else had a problem with this?

Yes many LED heads wil affect your garmin. I bought the new G2 LED head and hunted with it 2 nights and sent it back.

NO WAY a LED head is brighter then my 21 volt light with the 5100 head on high NO WAY.

Burn time on the LED is great but that white beam is disgusting and coon fur is near impossible to spot.

I can't count on my hand how many casts I have been in where guys have a LED head and my light burns a whole through theirs.
'
You know in a cast where they say OK bright it up! Those guys turn that LED head up on high and I can't help but chuckle.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2011 01:12 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plentyofpossum
UKC Forum Member

Bondo- I hope I answer your question right. I use a star hunting light right now. But my son was due for a new light last christmas. So we drove 30 min from the house and met danny at nite moves. He shook our hands and talked very nicely to my son. And built my sons light from scratch while we were sitting there. Great guy and good customer service. When my star tears up I will be buying my replacement from danny. As far as his led, it looks the same as everybody elses except for the g2.

Old Post 10-20-2011 07:38 PM
plentyofpossum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plentyofpossum Click here to Send plentyofpossum a Private Message Find more posts by plentyofpossum Add plentyofpossum to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

i love the led lights, but does anyone on here remember hunting with a 4 v wheat light, or hand held flashlight? i remember when my dad gave me his wheat light cause he got him a 6v gel cell nite lite. we still found coon. got to have a coon in the tree before you can find him. but it is easier to blame the light instead of the dog

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 10-20-2011 07:44 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Does any one make a light that lets you find a coon in every tree their dog trees on? I was on a night hunt this summer and the one guy could see a coon in every tree his dog was on, many times alone, no one else could see a coon. I'm not sure what kind of light it was. I do know what kind of dog it was.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 10-20-2011 07:49 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wishiwashunting
UKC Forum Member

Just got a new boss light led with a green cats eye and love it. Plenty of light to walk by and plenty bright enough to shine tree. Perfect angle set on head.

Home of the Roamin Kennels
PR' Lawyers Roamin Locktight Lucky (Plott)
PR' Lawyer's Atchafalaya Queen (Bluetick) RIP
PR' Lawyer's Roamin Cazadora "Cassie" (Walker) RIP

Old Post 10-20-2011 07:49 PM
wishiwashunting is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wishiwashunting Click here to Send wishiwashunting a Private Message Click Here to Email wishiwashunting Find more posts by wishiwashunting Add wishiwashunting to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole bo
UKC Forum Member

the burn time with the LED is ridiculous with the 21 volt k light 365 hours on low and 48 on high. ya can't beat that. but i'll stick to the 5100 it's been tried and true for years in the coal mines and on a hunters head. The 5100 head is second to none. If you think you will have a easier chance on finding a coon with the LED head think about all the coons that were found with a carbide light or a flashlight

ole bo

Old Post 10-20-2011 10:12 PM
ole bo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole bo Click here to Send ole bo a Private Message Click Here to Email ole bo Find more posts by ole bo Add ole bo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JordanCarpenter
UKC Forum Member

Which is brighter led or 5100

Old Post 10-20-2011 10:17 PM
JordanCarpenter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JordanCarpenter Click here to Send JordanCarpenter a Private Message Click Here to Email JordanCarpenter Find more posts by JordanCarpenter Add JordanCarpenter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
old ben
UKC Forum Member

own sunburst head ,,5100 and led..my opinion is the led 10 to 1 light wait and charge light 3 times a month doesnt use no charge at all hardly and blown blubs is over its worth the extra in my book ..happy hunting

Anderson County Coon Club
Lance White
865-919-7234

Old Post 10-21-2011 12:08 AM
old ben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for old ben Click here to Send old ben a Private Message Click Here to Email old ben Find more posts by old ben Add old ben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueMoonJake
UKC Forum Member

Own a Moonshiner 15volt + belt light and a Valley Creek 21 volt belt light and the Moonshiner 400 lumen led cap light will shine thru both of them. I started with carbide lights, lanterns and old ray-o-vac 12 volt sealed beam lights, then belt lights and now led.
I like the fact that the Led only has to be charged about every 3 weeks is lighter and brighter. However, I do think I can see a coon better with the warmer light of the 5100, it' hard to really tell right now with most of the leaves still on.

Old Post 10-21-2011 03:48 AM
BlueMoonJake is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BlueMoonJake Click here to Send BlueMoonJake a Private Message Find more posts by BlueMoonJake Add BlueMoonJake to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
otown
UKC Forum Member

I was in search of a new light this summer . I bought a bright eyes super 6 white lighting , a valley creek pro led , a predator , and a moonshiner 26 volt regular light . As far as finding coon and brightness the moonshiner won . I was on a cast last weekend and found every coon treed . Everyone else had led lights . I would show them where he was and they would look and study it and then say yup thats a coon . They never would have found them . Buy the way it was deffinatly brighter than there high end LED lights . I may have to charge it more but it is worth it to me to be able to do my part which is finding the coon my dog trees .

Old Post 10-21-2011 05:09 AM
otown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for otown Find more posts by otown Add otown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike kinser
UKC Forum Member

I DONT KNOW IF YOU ALL HAVE HEARD OF EM BUT MY DAD BOUGHT A SUPERIOR BELT LIGHT 4 LED. THEY MAKE FROM 1 LED TO 5 OR 6 LED HEADS FROM 6 VOLT TO 21 I THINK. DAD'S IS THE 17 VOLT 4 LED. I SWAPPED 2NIGHT WITH HIM ABOUT AN HOUR IN. I HAVE A 21 VOLT WITH THE 5100 HEAD. MAN I AM HOOKED. IT HAS A NICE WIDE BEAM BUT STILL PENETRATES GREAT. IT AS BRIGHT AS MY SONS 28 VOLT SPOTLIGHT JUST SLIGHTLY NOT AS TIGHT, BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT XTRA WIDTH. I USE 2ND CLICK WALKING, IT COMPARES TO MY 21 VOLT WIDE OPEN AND THAT IS 75 HOURS ON THE LED LIGHT. 3RD CLICK IS ABOUT LIKE HIGH SIDE ON MY SONS 28 VOLT HEAD AND I THINK IT IS 60 HOURS ON THE LED. 4 CLICK AND THE WHOLE TREE IS VISIBLE AND NO ONE ELSE NEED SHINE AND THAT IS 25 HOURS I THINK!
I THINK IT IS LIKE UNDER 300 BUCKS!

WOW HOW TECHNOLOGY HAS MADE AN IMPACT! I WAS JUST AMAZED.

Old Post 10-21-2011 07:31 AM
mike kinser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike kinser Click here to Send mike kinser a Private Message Click Here to Email mike kinser Find more posts by mike kinser Add mike kinser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Hill
UKC Forum Member

led

stays charged longer

Old Post 10-21-2011 12:00 PM
Mike Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Hill Click here to Send Mike Hill a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Hill Find more posts by Mike Hill Add Mike Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghillieman05
UKC Forum Member

I like the 5100 better because of all the reasons above. If your buying a new light I would def give Danny a try at Night Moves. I have been using his lights for about 10 years or so. I am using his 28 volt light now and have been for about two years and hasn't popped a bulb yet and yet to go dead on me. He builds the best light I believe on the market. You can't ask for better service either.

Old Post 10-21-2011 03:31 PM
Ghillieman05 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghillieman05 Click here to Send Ghillieman05 a Private Message Find more posts by Ghillieman05 Add Ghillieman05 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C Smith
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
Yes many LED heads wil affect your garmin.
Got any proof of this by chance?

NO WAY a LED head is brighter then my 21 volt light with the 5100 head on high NO WAY.
My LED light makes a 21vt 5100 look like childs play

Burn time on the LED is great but that white beam is disgusting and coon fur is near impossible to spot.
You just have to know what your looking for and a coon to be in the tree. Ive found a many with mine. I acually like the white light, things are clearer and have more definition to them

'

Truth is LED is the way to go now adays. My light last so much longer, its Dependible...No more blown bulbs in the worst possible time. When hunting in the Summer I dont have knats and bugs swarming me, No more melted pop covers. I might charge it once a month just to be safe, while hunting 3-4 nights a week.

BTW I use a Bright Eyes 14 volt with there 3 led head on it. 2+ years of hard hunting and the only problem ive had is I busted the lens. My Fault.

Old Post 10-21-2011 05:57 PM
C Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C Smith Click here to Send C Smith a Private Message Find more posts by C Smith Add C Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote