UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do Titles matter now days
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Those comments are so silly! How many UKC HUNTS have you seen a dig win with minus points? If you think the dollar KC s are easy to win with minus points, you should clean house easily with a dog that trees coons..... Good luck. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-31-2019 10:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Those comments are so silly! How many UKC HUNTS have you seen a dig win with minus points? If you think the dollar KC s are easy to win with minus points, you should clean house easily with a dog that trees coons..... Good luck. Dave

Like I said before the first money I ever won in $$$ the 3 other dogs caught the farmers goat and mine was not there so I won lol. Did not have tracking systems when we found mine she was a sleep on the farmers front porch with his cats but hey I got $60 lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-31-2019 10:59 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

There is a big big difference in winning a little local cast than winning a major hunt. Show me how many dogs have advanced all the way to win a bigger hunt with minus points or zero points. Yes, it is possible, but not likely. We are discussing UKC HUNTS and it is required that you win with plus points, so any talk of minus point winning is a moot point. Who really cares how the dollar KC s operate, in any game you have a choice to play or not to play with the RULES in place for that game. Don't like the RULES, don't play the game! Dave

Old Post 06-01-2019 12:42 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave your right about having to have plus in ukc to win. Go pull up the play by play of the 2000 $$$ world hunt 2 of those dogs made it to the final 4 without a plus point after that final 4 both had never been under a coon the whole hunt. It happens a lot at the larger venues in $$$ they just down play it because they like the money. The grand masters year before last was won by a dog that ran and never made a tree the whole hunt. It happens more than you know.

Tar

Old Post 06-01-2019 01:03 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
natnicegg
UKC Forum Member

Titles may not mean much to some but they'll mean something to the young kids that'll be calling my dog for me. Trying to get some young kids involved in the sport so I'm letting them work and show my pup for me.

Old Post 06-01-2019 01:52 AM
natnicegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natnicegg Click here to Send natnicegg a Private Message Click Here to Email natnicegg Find more posts by natnicegg Add natnicegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Fox
Banned

Re: Hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards

I think the grand masters was won a couple years ago with 0 coon being scored on the final cast.

Old Post 06-01-2019 02:25 AM
Sam Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Fox Click here to Send Sam Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Fox Add Sam Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I concede that it happens more often in the dollar hunts, it's just the RULES they have in place. I want to add that it's not my style of hunting and I don't play that game. I sincerely feel that a competition hunt should be to determine the best coondog period. I remember back in the day of beagles field trials and watching dogs that one could never kill rabbits in front of win these trials. I say that if we are not very careful that the competition hunts will turn into the same as those beagles trials. Thankfully, those fed up with those beagles trials founded the hunt in beagles trials that focused on a dogs talent as a gundog and not a track straddling idiot. We may need to focus more on promoting a true coondog hide producing winner than hot nose ambush style dogs that win. We should never let go of the real reason we hunt and that is to see game at the end of the Chase on a consistent basis. I want to see coons in the trees my dogs make. I can see plenty of trees from my porch without a dog. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-01-2019 at 02:30 AM

Old Post 06-01-2019 02:28 AM
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

cast winners

If you'll notice I didn't say ukc. I was just talking about hunts and it happens A lot more than people like to admit.I'm not saying that there are not good dog's in the hunts but honestly how many of the dogs hunted now do you think could have made to the finals of the world hunt back when they hunted three hours including the night they hunted alone.You didn't tree a quick one and quit you had to hunt the whole three hours.The world hunt went on for six nights and you hunted five of them,three hours every night and had to have plus points to advance.And here's another biggie,there was no re entry.You had one chance If you didn't make it the first time you were through till next year.I'm not trying to cause controversy just something to think about.Look at the big money hunts,if it wasn't for being able to re enter and advance with minus points,they would have a hard time having enough dogs to have A final cast.Again just something to think about.

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:14 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

cast winners

If you'll notice I didn't say ukc. I was just talking about hunts and it happens A lot more than people like to admit.I'm not saying that there are not good dog's in the hunts but honestly how many of the dogs hunted now do you think could have made to the finals of the world hunt back when they hunted three hours including the night they hunted alone.You didn't tree a quick one and quit you had to hunt the whole three hours.The world hunt went on for six nights and you hunted five of them,three hours every night and had to have plus points to advance.And here's another biggie,there was no re entry.You had one chance If you didn't make it the first time you were through till next year.I'm not trying to cause controversy just something to think about.Look at the big money hunts,if it wasn't for being able to re enter and advance with minus points,they would have a hard time having enough dogs to have A final cast.Again just something to think about.

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:14 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Oldsouth123

I am one of the old timers and I hunted in a lot of 3 hour and 2 hour hunts and liked them much better than the 1 hour hunts. You made several good points in your post and I agree with them. The dollar KC s formats are different, one has a choice to play or not to play in their game, I choose not to play with them. I will say that there are some top notch dogs hunting in the dollar KC s, make no mistake about that. I am a dedicated UKC HUNTER or was! Old age has slowed me down and I enjoy the younger guys with the heart and legs getting to play the game these days. The old days are gone forever, we now have much less land to hunt and other variables that have changed the game. I am just happy to see that we can still have a game to play in these days. I often wonder how much longer the younger generation has to Chase these old dogs at night, something us older guys just took for granted. Places I used to hunt have been clear cut by the thousands of acres. Thankfully, I still have many places to hunt, but not everyone does. Dave

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:48 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I like 2 and 3 hour hunts my self , I don't necessarily dislike the hour hunts , I just enjoy the 2-3 hour hunts better. But the hunts I love the most are from DUSK till DAWN in the winter time.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-02-2019 02:06 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSG99
New UKC Forum Member

I'm new to coon hounds (3 years). I tried the hunts my 2nd year and learned really fast that with all of the KC's it's more about the handler than the hound. Who can bend and twist the rules the most, try to get handlers and dogs scratched. This is why the numbers are down at hunts. If you run the young and new hunters off it's easier to get titles on your dog, but then you have no new people to carry on the hunts. I'll stick to pleasure hunting.

Old Post 06-02-2019 04:42 PM
LSG99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSG99 Click here to Send LSG99 a Private Message Find more posts by LSG99 Add LSG99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

I was hoping Tar would chime in with his thoughts on my post about the world hunts of the old days,and the comparison to the hunts of today and how A lot of the hunters and hounds of today would do.Notice I said A lot, not all.Just wanted to make that clear,I didn't want to hurt anyone 's feelings.Yadkin River,I think you're allowed yo speak on this also.

Old Post 06-03-2019 12:08 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

oldsouth yuou know the answer to that. They win by different means now. Todays dogs couldn't wear the collars of the dogs we hunted. I know thats a bold statement but our dogs competed with the dogs in the cast for honest first strike and first tree. Mean dogs were written up then barred. If we got beat it was by a better dog or better handler, it wasn't because we were leashlocked. It wasn't unusual to tree half dozen coons on a cast and see them. We won with dog power and knowing the rules, not by technicalities.
Your post on it being possible to win a $$$ hunt with a beagle was familiar. Pretty sure you had an article on it in the Cooner many years ago that riled up some higher ups.
Don't mean to step on anyones toes most on here are just too young to know and understand.

Old Post 06-03-2019 01:28 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

BTW if titles make dogs better someone forgot to tell old Champ and Chico.

Old Post 06-03-2019 01:32 AM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Oldsouth it’s hard to tell somebody about something they never seen without them doubting you. We had strict rules we had longer hunting times and a dog had to be well trained because without a tracking system if they were not running a coon you had no way of knowing where they were. That right there would cull 80% of today’s competition dogs just on misusing them out or getting them scratched for not being handled in the hour. Now combine that with having to put coon after coon up ahead of the other dogs in your cast and then out score the other 70 registered dogs and 4 cast of grade dogs back at the club house gravey train you bet !! Now they know where they are all the time for two reasons one they got their face planted in that garmin and their dogs never shut up long enough to put the 8 on them. Buuuuut we all got old and banged up we don’t feel like proving our point no more if you do in a week they forget and go breed to a thyroid dog that won a money hunt with minus points somwhere lol.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 06-03-2019 at 02:56 AM

Old Post 06-03-2019 02:25 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

my new project is a pup i found on face book . no famous dog filled pedigree . in fact no set of papers at all .lol cost me a tank full of gas to go pick him up and bring him home.wife says he is the best pup we ever had on the place.hardly ever hear a peep out of him and poops in the same place every day .lol some of the best hounds i ever owned had no pedigrees and were either gave to me at no cost or in the 20 to 50 $ range .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 06-03-2019 at 06:31 AM

Old Post 06-03-2019 06:25 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote