UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Corn Allergy ......
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
VA BLACKDAWG
UKC Forum Member

Corn Allergy ......

I read a lot on here bout some dogs being allergic to CORN in their feed.My question is.....How do you know? What symptoms do you see if any?THANKS.

HOME OF: MOORE'S THUNDER MTN. LOCKDOWN LEVI (12/04-02/16)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2012 05:59 PM
VA BLACKDAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VA BLACKDAWG Click here to Send VA BLACKDAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email VA BLACKDAWG Find more posts by VA BLACKDAWG Add VA BLACKDAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pegjerben
UKC Forum Member

with mine it was constant licking on his feet and other areas. I was told by a reliable vet to take him off all feed and give him stricly cooked meat (luckily we had a freezer full of deer scraps) for a month and then slowly add food back in. I could tell after a couple of weeks - I got lazy and just gave him dry food like the rest for a couple of days and the licking started again immediately. We haven't ever decided if it is a wheat or corn allergy, but he gets dry food now with neither - no more itching

Old Post 07-03-2012 06:07 PM
pegjerben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pegjerben Click here to Send pegjerben a Private Message Click Here to Email pegjerben Find more posts by pegjerben Add pegjerben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdaddy74
UKC Forum Member

corn

Mine- Hair was falling out on the legs. I thought it was something else but the vet did some test and determine it was the feed. changed feed and within 2 weeks 100% improvement

Old Post 07-03-2012 06:16 PM
bigdaddy74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdaddy74 Click here to Send bigdaddy74 a Private Message Find more posts by bigdaddy74 Add bigdaddy74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

constant ear infections. get it clear and it returns

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 07-03-2012 06:34 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

kinda funny how ALL the best dogs from back 20 yrs ago ate corn based feed.
seems anymore corn based feed is an excuse for any ailment or short comming faults a dog has.
just think how much better them old dogs would of been with some of the yuppy new dog foods in thier bellies.

Old Post 07-03-2012 07:32 PM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by toe cutter
kinda funny how ALL the best dogs from back 20 yrs ago ate corn based feed.
seems anymore corn based feed is an excuse for any ailment or short comming faults a dog has.
just think how much better them old dogs would of been with some of the yuppy new dog foods in thier bellies.

maybe its because of all the "stuff" that is put on corn "these days" that is different and what is causing the problems.

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 07-03-2012 07:40 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MTCoonHunter
UKC Forum Member

I don't know what shortcomings a dog has that people blame on corn--unless a person who is feeding their dog rice cakes and corn on the cob and then blames the dog's lack of energy on the corn...

I'd put money down that there were dogs 20 years ago that had frequent ear infections and licked their paws obsessively--so I guess those would be considered ailments. Great deal that something as simple as removing corn (or any other allergen) can prevent years of cleaning muck out of their ears or trying to treat the infections from the open sores on the dog's paws.

Hard to keep a limping/deaf dog in the woods.

Old Post 07-03-2012 08:59 PM
MTCoonHunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MTCoonHunter Click here to Send MTCoonHunter a Private Message Click Here to Email MTCoonHunter Find more posts by MTCoonHunter Add MTCoonHunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

people on this board blame everything from a dog not treeing to running trash on dog foods.
*any dog with allergies should not be bred.
so many people listen to a vet that dont know nothing but house dogs and dealing with people who will put $5000 in a house cat to save its life.

Old Post 07-03-2012 09:39 PM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.R
UKC Forum Member

well mine got hot spots, so i quit feeding corn and havent had them since. so take that for what its worth, i know if i could feed cheap ass food i would .

Old Post 07-03-2012 10:27 PM
J.R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R Click here to Send J.R a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R Find more posts by J.R Add J.R to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenn Wells
UKC Forum Member

I have one that will eat corn right off the cob , the sucker will bring them to you to shell for him while he crunches away. I really think the diffence today is that they have cut down on the fat content in the feed, 20 years ago it was greasy and you could see it coming through the bag after a little time. Just add a little bacon grease every so often and you can see the difference in skin and coat both !

Old Post 07-03-2012 11:48 PM
Glenn Wells is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenn Wells Click here to Send Glenn Wells a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenn Wells Find more posts by Glenn Wells Add Glenn Wells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J.R
well mine got hot spots, so i quit feeding corn and havent had them since. so take that for what its worth, i know if i could feed cheap ass food i would .

Common Searches: Ask a Vet |Symptom Checker |

Hot Spots on Dogs! Just What Are These, Anyway?

*Hot Spots are one of those less then desirable skin irritations seen in pets. Often, you'll here your vet refer to them as moist eczema, but you ... well, you can call them hot spots. They occur when your dog itches, scratches or licks him or herself excessively, eventually forming a wet scab on the fur. But what do you with a hot spot?
Hot Spots (also known as Summer Sores or Moist Eczema) can seemingly appear spontaneously anywhere on a dog's body; the surrounding area can rapidly deterioriate too. This moist, raw skin disorder has a variety of causes but the most consistent factor is bacteria.
Anything that irritates or breaks the skin can create the environment for bacterial contamination if the surface of the skin has but only a little a bit of moisture on it. Such incidences of moisture can be such seeminly innocuous things such as as a recent bath, swim, stroll in the rain, or playtime in wet craze. Even a slightly oozing sore can provide enough moisture and/or nutrient for a bacterial infection to take hold.
Although there are various types of "hot spot"-causing bacteria, most respond to oral and topical antibiotics.

Last edited by toe cutter on 07-04-2012 at 12:59 AM

Old Post 07-04-2012 12:52 AM
englishbuddy
UKC Forum Member

Nt Ch Main Street Holmes has acute bronchial allergies and a low thyroid level..... He would lose his voice and could not breath... We took him off corn feed and put him on medication for the allergie and he does fine...... He would refuse to hunt in a corn field once the ears got half full...... He is owned by a pleasure hunter now and gets hunted in the fall and winter and does okay.... This was a shame Holmes was as natural as they get..... Someone that had him before me had broken 2 vertibra and of his ribs tryin to get him to hunt and he just COULD NOT GO !!!!! He has a good home now !!!!!!

Old Post 07-04-2012 01:02 AM
englishbuddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishbuddy Click here to Send englishbuddy a Private Message Find more posts by englishbuddy Add englishbuddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

but every one blames the corn

Introduction

Dog Owners that understand the causes of Allergies in dogs stand a better chance to prevent Allergies in dogs from occurring. Here you can learn about the causes and prevention of Allergies in dogs, as well as what can be done to avoid this canine disorder from developing.

Read More >

Home
Causes & Preventing
Symptoms and Types
Diagnosis and Tests
Treatment Options

Causes of Allergies in Dogs

Most allergies in domestic dogs are exaggerated immune (hypersensitivity) reactions to flea or tick bites, contact or airborne substances or some particular ingredient in food. Allergies to fleas, which are extremely common in dogs, are caused by an immune reaction to flea saliva which causes irritation and itchiness at the site of the bite, increasing the risk of bacterial infection and localized hair loss. Common contact and inhalant allergens include seasonal pollen, trees, bushes, grasses, weeds and flowers, as well as any number of chemical or other products. These allergies, in dogs and people, are often referred to as “hay fever.” Food allergies can be a reaction to almost anything in a dog’s diet, but common food allergens include beef, dairy products, corn, wheat, eggs, chicken, lamb and soy.

Preventing Allergies in Dogs

The best way to prevent allergic reactions in domestic dogs is to prevent contact with whatever is causing the hypersensitivity. For example, flea bite allergies are best avoided by removing the allergen – fleas – from the dog’s environment. There are a number of good topical products to keep fleas off of our pets, including medicated collars and topical liquid treatments and preventatives, among others. To prevent hay fever, owners should keep their dogs away from whatever seasonal allergen is causing the problem, to the extent that they can. Food allergies can be prevented once the causative component of the dog’s diet is identified, which can be done through an elimination diet supervised by a veterinarian. Many commercial kibbles containing novel protein sources, such as venison, duck or fish, are available for dogs that are allergic to more common protein sources.

Flea Allergies

Allergic reactions to flea bites are very common in companion animals. Affected dogs have an immune reaction to the flea saliva, causing irritation and itchiness at the bite site with an increased chance of hair loss and secondary bacterial infection. As with all causes of allergies, flea bite allergies are best prevented by removing the allergen – here, the flea – from the dog’s environment. There are a number of good topical products to keep fleas off of our pets, including collars, liquid medications that are put onto the skin and other products that your veterinarian can recommend. With regular management, flea bite allergies are quite preventable.

Hay Fever

Dogs can develop allergies to seasonal pollen, trees, bushes, grass or flowers. In people, we call this “hay fever,” and the clinical signs are similar in dogs. Sneezing, redness of the eyes, itchiness and lethargy are common signs of seasonal allergies. Again, the best way to prevent these allergies is to prevent your dog’s exposure to the causative allergen. Your veterinarian can help you identify which particular things your dog is allergic to.

Food Allergies

Dogs also commonly develop allergies to components of their food – especially in commercially available kibble diets. Food allergies can present with vomiting, skin rashes or other skin lesions, and pruritus (intense itchiness). The way to “prevent” (or manage) these reactions is to use an elimination diet, which your veterinarian can explain to you in detail. Essentially, an elimination diet involves strictly regulating your dog’s diet, usually starting with boiled rice and chicken, and then adding other ingredients one at a time and assessing whether the dog has an adverse reaction to the new ingredient. There are a number of commercially available kibble diets that have unique ingredients (like duck, venison, sweet potatoes, etc.) which can successfully be fed to dogs with allergies to more common protein sources, such as beef, lamb or pork.

Special Notes

Canine allergies can be difficult, but not impossible, to diagnose and manage. Veterinarians use a combination of a thorough medical history, a complete physical examination, blood and/or skin tests and assessment of the dog’s response to treatment to identify and manage allergic reactions. Strict owner compliance with the diagnostic and treatment protocols recommended by their veterinarian is critical to the success of managing allergies.

Old Post 07-04-2012 01:08 AM
headless01
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by toe cutter
people on this board blame everything from a dog not treeing to running trash on dog foods.
*any dog with allergies should not be bred.
so many people listen to a vet that dont know nothing but house dogs and dealing with people who will put $5000 in a house cat to save its life.

Smart man right here, may be its the stuff they put in the meat now thats not natural.

Old Post 07-04-2012 01:45 AM
headless01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for headless01 Click here to Send headless01 a Private Message Click Here to Email headless01 Find more posts by headless01 Add headless01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Lets see 20 years ago you could still send pb&j sandwiches too school without fear of setting some kid into an allergic reaction. LOL

A cell phone weighed a couple of pounds if you had one.

Still had a lot of smokers.

What was a gps?? How about the internet?

A walker dog could still track AND tree and a coon would be up there. Just kidding on that one. Feed whatever works for your dog thats all there is too it. JMHO

Old Post 07-04-2012 02:12 AM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

Bobby - 20 years ago ( I used 20 years from the statement above..) I fought constant battles with my dogs having hot spots especially in the warmer weather. Actually, its more like almost 40 years ago when I started working with military working dogs. I fought hot spots (and head shaking with some) with dogs until I changed my feed approx. 6 years ago. I feed a grain free diet. I don't have hot spots and head shaking anymore. I have had coon dogs for 35 years and police working dogs since the mid '70's. I had trouble with both. Went through tons of steroidal type meds and antibiotics. You can listen to all the educated idiots you want. My experience comes through years of trial and error and EXPERIENCE not a book. Black dogs (B&T's, Dobermans, Rottweillers...I have had them all) seem to be especially susceptable to these type of skin issues. Predisone is one of the major treatments by vets for this issue. It is not easy on a dog's liver and kidneys. Since I have changed to an non grain diet I have not had one of these type of issues.

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 07-04-2012 01:41 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
umbie
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J.R

Same here hot spots itching I don't feed corn and now no more itching and hot spots

NtCh Umbe's Blue Buster RIP
CH 'PR' Thundering Blue Buckshot
'PR' Umbes Bella Luna Blue Eclipse
'PR' Umbes New Moon Becca Blue
and the pups

Old Post 07-04-2012 01:55 PM
umbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for umbie Click here to Send umbie a Private Message Click Here to Email umbie Find more posts by umbie Add umbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote