UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Those of you with Thyroid experience...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Those of you with Thyroid experience...

What were the take take signs for you? And at what age do these symptoms come to light? I’ve got an almost 6 year old dog that was about 60% accurate. Over the past couple of hunts I have only seen one coon. Made 9 slicks the other night. Needless to say she’s moving on but would love to know why the wheels have fallen off...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-23-2018 12:51 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Have her tested for Ehrlicosis or Erhlichia. Also Lymes disease.

Buddy of mine has a walker male that was doing this that tested positive for both. Dog came out of the south. I believe Mr. Conkey helped him get in touch with a vet that was able to ship hm injectible medication. He then had the vet we use inject his dog. Couldn't hunt him for a month after the injection. He's been rock solid since. Very accurate but when he was sick he did all kinds of weird stuff.

Old Post 12-23-2018 02:18 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I will call the vet after the first of the year and see if what we can get going. A little information to add she started being real sluggish when getting her out of the pen at night. No problem during the day, eats fine putting on weight. Just not even throwing a locate just freeing to tree it seems. If this doesn’t fix she will be taken to my dad as a yard dog.

Old Post 12-23-2018 02:57 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I will call the vet after the first of the year and see if what we can get going. A little information to add she started being real sluggish when getting her out of the pen at night. No problem during the day, eats fine putting on weight. Just not even throwing a locate just freeing to tree it seems. If this doesn’t fix she will be taken to my dad as a yard dog.

Old Post 12-23-2018 02:57 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

One of my dogs started slick treeing a bunch. I have been having a terrible sinus problem and taking pills for it. I was going to take her to a hunt so I gave her a Benedryl yesterday afternoon and again yesterday evening. She treed 3 coons and won both rounds of a doubleheader. It was a cold, frosty, full moon night. I never thought that we would tree a coon. Go figure.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-23-2018 at 02:07 PM

Old Post 12-23-2018 02:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Mine just went from a very consistent no return no quit coon treer to acting like she would act when only coming in or going out of heat. She started acting silly at about 5.5 yrs old. Shes 6.5 now. She just wasnt the same dog and i know her like back my hand . She even quit treeing as hard as normal and on occasion would come back to truck if couldnt get on a track ( she didnt leave trees ) < Coming back is something she NEVER done , you always pulled her off a tree somewhere. She was missing coons and just wasnt Consistent like always had been. I scratched my head for quite some time about all this .....even had buddys that knew her that said she just isnt same dog.
When i would hear people talk about the thyroid stuff I just laughed . I thought it was all Bull. I even figured the vets were behind it all cause we all know the doctors love to get everyone on some kind of a pill !

One night i had had Enough !! I gave in and thought maybe there is something to this thyroid thing ...????? I'm glad I listened and I had her checked and started the process. She tested at .8 !!! It fixed mine !!!! along with some other advise i got from a race horse trainer fixed another condition she had that i believe alot of other dogs have also .
I'm hard headed and had i stayed that way i honestly dont believe i would have ever seen a change in her for the better.
Good Luck ! Hope you get yours straightened out. All dogs arent the SAME , some need this or that while another may not need anything. Just like humans no dog is the same or can operate on the same diet.

Last edited by Toad Hill on 12-28-2018 at 03:21 PM

Old Post 12-28-2018 03:15 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I had one at about 3 or 4, went from being a big hunting dog, to a dog who wouldn't get 200 yards from you, and if there was a opossum track, or a coon track close by, he chose the opossum. If you was close to houses, he wanted to go over in their yards and just mess around. I took him to the vet, his thyroid level came back at .2. Got him straightened out, and he went right back to going as far as he needed to go, to tree a coon.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 12-31-2018 05:06 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote